Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

W-SS Officer's Schirmmütze

Article about: Hello Friends, any opinions for this? Thx all

Default re: W-SS Officer's Schirmmütze

Quote by JMB View Post
    Sorry Bob, I don't mean to offend in any way, but where did the "Alteste" come from? there's no mention of a Kleiderkasse, which i believe it could be. I do not profess to be an expert, and ANYTHING SS is always suspect until proven good, however, first impressions on this cap are better than average don't you agree? I think its too soon to dismiss it as a reproduction.
    Just my opinion nothing else

One of the shortcomings of on line opinion is that we are limited only to what the photograph tells us. In the case of this hat, I do not like the material used for the top and the top color. Color of course can be effected by the lighting of the image. With what I see, I would move with caution. Possibly, a hands on examination would prove my initial opinion incorrect. However, at this point, I am dubious of the authenticity of this piece.
    I believe that some of these early Breuer hats were marked with the Alteste name. It has been many years since I last handled one so this may not be correct.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement W-SS Officer's Schirmmütze
    P
    Many

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    The original period Breuer " Alteste " caps came with original S S cap insignia. I agree with Sebastian that this cap is a reproduction.
    Hello BOB,

thx You and All for opinions

You think that the insignias are fakes?

One of the shortcomings of on line opinion is that we are limited only to what the photograph tells us Possibly, a hands on examination would prove my initial opinion incorrect.
    I whole heartedly agree with your statements Bob, to judge anything by a photograph is usually, not always, pure speculation, and as with most things there is always a self professed expert saying its not textbook ( I'm not referring to you of course, as you are one of the "few")

It depends a lot on the person photographing it, and this one looks as if its been done in artificial light, but very well, which could deter the colours, however these photos are better than most, and i don't think, judging by the quality of the photo's that anyone is setting out to deceive anyone intentionally.

Incidentally, is it for sale, and if so how much? That may give an indication, just a thought?

Personally I like it, but of course, as with anything, I could be wrong, as I am not one of those that "are an expert"

Hands on is really the only way to go

Regards
    John

Quote by jmb View Post

personally i like it, but of course, as with anything, i could be wrong, as i am not one of those that "are an expert"

hands on is really the only way to go

regards
    john
    John-
    Few are experts. It is also a club I do not want to be a member of. There is heavy baggage that comes with being "an expert." I have made more than my fair share of mistakes during my collecting experience.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

John-
    Few are experts.
    Bob, sorry, but you are one of the few, and a good one at that.

I listen and learn from collectors like you. This hobby, after all is a minefield, and no one knows it all, but a few have more "savvy" than the rest

Keep up the good work Bob, and thanks.

Quote by JMB View Post
    Bob, sorry, but you are one of the few, and a good one at that.

I listen and learn from collectors like you. This hobby, after all is a minefield, and no one knows it all, but a few have more "savvy" than the rest

Keep up the good work Bob, and thanks.
    Hello Bob and John,

I Thanks Very Mutch for Good Help!

Your opinions are for me contribution. Its heavy in this time with this items.

This hobby is for me new and I have to mutch learning.

Quote by milan12 View Post
    This hobby is for me new and I have to mutch learning.
    To be perfectly frank and honest, if you're just starting, and are new to collecting TR out for god's sake try something else other than WSS, you will, if not careful get burned and that upsets me, to see people get hurt (pocket that is)

Bob Coleman is a excellent reference about the ss and political uniform, and this is a real great collector also, my feeling is always a good thing for the new collector, the real expert are rare, this is just a hobby for me, and not a dangerous game, I have lost lot of money in the past with these kind of items...

that cap is not for me, and not for a serious collector, just my personal opinion...

Sebastian.

Quote by JMB View Post
    To be perfectly frank and honest, if you're just starting, and are new to collecting TR out for god's sake try something else other than WSS, you will, if not careful get burned and that upsets me, to see people get hurt (pocket that is)
    You have any medicine? This part of hobby is very interest for me and I must START!

Is perfect that exist peoples, which can help I learn and other every day.

If not exist peoples as Bob Or John or Sebastien or other good mans and collectors ....

Thanks ALL

Bob has the post war date of manufacture right. It is true that digital photography can be incredibly misleading. However, in this particular case the texture of the wool remains a real problem. I would bet a pound to a penny that if you were to place this cap right next next to a late war overcoat you would be disturbed to see the similarity in the materials. Hundreds of unsaleable overcoats were "sacrificed" in the late 60's and early seventies by several unscrupulous hat makers to make their wares.
    Having given my opinion I should finish by saying I do believe there is a real danger in posting pieces without any context.
    I believe it is the responsibilty of the poster to say what exactly they are putting up on the web. Is it your hat? Someone else's? A dealer's? Do you own the images?
    It can damage the saleability of a piece that hasn't been properly inspected. It can harm the reputation of a seller who truly believes the piece to be real and hasn't had the chance to respond.
    I'm sure I speak for others who feel less and less inclined to post their thoughts as web militaria sites increasingly turn into nothing more than free, (and unreliable) evaluation services.
    D.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast