Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Allgemeine-SS Sonderanfertigung Visor

Article about: This is an uncommon visor, in that it is a special grade (for both officers and OR's) called Sonderanfertigung, or "special grade" quality, a cut above the standard OR visor--doesk

Default Re: Allgemeine-SS Sonderanfertigung Visor

Evidence associated with what I deem to be the 1st pattern of black tag....another Bavarian maker in Niederbayern.
    Attached Images Attached Images Allgemeine-SS Sonderanfertigung Visor  Allgemeine-SS Sonderanfertigung Visor 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Allgemeine-SS Sonderanfertigung Visor
    P
    Many

Here is a 1936 stamp in this "Tuchmuetze" cap replete with the RFSS tag. Also a Wille/Hannover cap. The markings in this cap are almost better than the cap itself.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Allgemeine-SS Sonderanfertigung Visor   Allgemeine-SS Sonderanfertigung Visor  

Allgemeine-SS Sonderanfertigung Visor  

These images are from Brian Maederer, who manages to get a number of black caps. I am not in the employ of any dealer, but credit is due where credit is due.

who owns the Roell visor cap? Wonder how many mint (really mint) ones are out with the white liner. I know of one so far.

I think the Roell cap is owned by a Midwesterner, but I am not sure. I think you know him, in fact.

Our mutual friend in the UK, of whom we recently spoke just bought one. There are surely others. The first cap of this type I owned in 1971 /2 was a Sonderanfertigung cap, in fact. I think the Roell piece is a Mueller and has one of these white "Tuchmuetze" tags.

Dear Robert, do add to the file here. Don't be shy.

Thanks for your help, too. I appreciate it.

FB,
    I am working on RZM tags and finding period material that relates directly to the SS is extremely difficult. Here is an RZM page from 1936 that illustrates and lists all kinds of organisations apart from the SS. At least it confirms the time period these sweatbands are suggesting.
    D.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Allgemeine-SS Sonderanfertigung Visor  

Dear Colleague, thank you for this fine and interesting data. Intriguing here beyond the obvious richness of detail (do read the instructions of how to make the Marine HJ cap, which is described in a way that a craftsman had to interpret) is the following: the top two tags (brown and black script) were plainly not intended for SS caps, but they nonetheless do appear in SS caps all the same. I have an image of the braune "Dienstmuetze" tag as well as the omnibus generic tag beneath it in black SS caps. Hence, the contractors used what they had to fulfill the legal requirement to mark things. I do not want to propose the idea that in a given span of time, i.e. 1935 a single type of tag was hegemonically in use and then superseded by another in the year 1936. This kind of generalization is an error made by others with such things as cap badges. Germany was and is a federal place, that is, a place where there remain many approaches to the same goal. As one who works in a bureaucratic organization, I well see the failure to enforce rules, such as they are.

Hence, my little essay here is meant to summarize my findings, as well as solicit the views of others, such as yourself, whom I esteem.

Thank you for the intervention.

The lack of specific instruction for those two labels to be used by the SS might not necessarily mean that they were not officially designated for the SS.
    The singular lack of SS material in these documents, unlike every other branch of the party, leads me to think that SS material was deliberately omitted. There are several instances of Himmler orders forbidding the publishing of SS material and I think the RZM publications are no exception.
    I presume it is directly to do with the status of the SS as a security force.
    Having said that I haven't given up on my searches through these endless sheets.
    Each and every piece of party headgear, with the exception of SS caps, gets the same detailed treatment as the marine cap at some point or another.
    D

Thanks so much. You have made this important point before elsewhere. In the new biography of Himmler, Longerich explains at length Heini H's obsession with the symbolic and cult oriented aspects of the SS. Your theory that security concerns precluded a treatment of these details makes perfect sense to me. Do tell me if my postings diverge from your understanding of the issue. In my case, with no access to the primary sources other than more than one cap itself, I have drawn said conclusions. But I am entirely alive to new evidence and other theories.

Many thanks for your time and attention.

Somewhere, I am sure, in the WVHA files in the Bundsarchiv Berlin do reside many things that would interest us.

So many archives have come to light in the past two decades that have much promise.

Since some of you are in Europe, here is Peter Longerich's bio of Heini H. It is well worth the effort for anyone interested in this topic. It is auf Deutsch. I am sure some of you can identify the 3d officer here besides Heini H and Paul Hausser. But beyond said task, do read the book and especially read the notes. There stretches out wonderful perspectives for us Uniformkunde types.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Allgemeine-SS Sonderanfertigung Visor  

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast