Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Which area?

Article about: I believe this picture was taken in the late 30's early 40's. I can't seem to find anywhere on the internet or library which branch of service these hats belong to. Any info would be appreci

Tschock
    ?

Default Which area?

I believe this picture was taken in the late 30's early 40's.
    I can't seem to find anywhere on the internet or library which branch of service these hats belong to.
    Any info would be appreciated.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Which area?  

2. # ADS

Default Re: Which area?

It appears the two soldiers are from the Heer. One is wearing a later model Mantel with large collar. Oddly, the one on the right does not have a standard service belt and buckle. I would place the photo later in the war - possibly 1944. Neil H.

Actually, I think they wear Kreigsmarine pattern caps. As they wear grey, they could be members of the Marines/Coastal Artillery. The cut of the cap is similar to that of the Luftwaffe. Note the seams on the top and the width of the turn up.

The lack of shoulder straps on the greatcoats prevents a positve id. The belt with open frame buckle closesure could be Soviet issue. This makes be wonder if these two men are actually German nationals. Can you add any detail here?

Cheers, Ade.

Tschock
    ?

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Actually, I think they wear Kreigsmarine pattern caps. As they wear grey, they could be members of the Marines/Coastal Artillery. The cut of the cap is similar to that of the Luftwaffe. Note the seams on the top and the width of the turn up.

The lack of shoulder straps on the greatcoats prevents a positve id. The belt with open frame buckle closesure could be Soviet issue. This makes be wonder if these two men are actually German nationals. Can you add any detail here?

Cheers, Ade.
    Adrian: stepping in here for my girlfriend. The chap on the left is my Grandfather (by marriage); he was born in the Ukraine and was nationalized German, sometime during the exodus of the '30's. My best guess is that he would have fallen within the JG 20-22 draft classifications. The disjointed uniforms lead one to believe that the photo would likely date to the post-'42 timeframe...no???
    I am about to meet this man (for the first time) and want to have a little bit better idea of who he is and where he's been.

My girlfriend has also posted a wedding photo of this same man in your "SS Uniforms and Insignia" section...in an OrPo uniform (and I am fully cognizant of the implications of this)...this photo is absolutely dated: February, 1944.

What's up? My best supposition is that there's more than a few skeletons in the man's closet...

...IMO: he's paid his pennance...he's 89 years old and has (likely) spent the last 65 years looking over his shoulder.

Regardless:how could the same individual go from grunt to policeman within the given time frame? Particularly when bodies carrying rifles were becoming an increasingly valuable commodity? Needs and priorities I guess...?

I'm more than a little confused...and totally overwhelmed by this situation...and I've been studying the Third Reich for almost thirty years.

Respectfully, Ron

Hi Ron, thanks for the info. My suspicion was correct then.

You are correct. The photo would have been taken around the 1942 time frame.

Good luck with your meeting with him. I hope it goes well. My advice is to take it steady and don't question him too closely. Over 25 years ago I worked with two Ukrainians. They told me a little but in my more youthful enthusiasm I questioned them too closely, drawing insignia etc. They both clammed up then.

Cheers, Ade.

Hi folks, Good detective work. Sorry about my initial post being off the mark. But it is most likely a '42 period or slightly later photo.
    Interesting to know the belt is Russian too! I guess it could be argued that the soldier on the right is "out of uniform." Good luck following up with your grandfather. Neil

Tschock
    ?

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post

Cheers, Ade.
    The mystery grows deeper...I just found a picture of the same man on the left...but this time he's in Red Army outfit!!
    Not sure what area he would have been in as I'm not familiar with Russian uniforms.
    I find it interesting that both you and Neil noticed the belt on the second man was that of Russian attire,so I thought I would write back to let you know of these findings.

Please post the photo. I would like to see it very much.

Cheers, Ade.

Tschock
    ?

I think I had already posted the pic under Russian uniforms,but here it is again. Hope you can shed some light on this.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Which area?  

I saw it after I posted here this morning, so I answered in that thread

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/unifo...52/#post127829

Cheers, Ade.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast