Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

The Art of the Cap Box

Article about: by Friedrich-Berthold Here is something other than a container for foetid woolens....Attachment 163484 In which city and on which river has this startling scene unfolded? Some of the other p

Default Re: The Art of the Cap Box

Other images of the Kutno ghetto as haunting, and surely tragic in their own way.The Art of the Cap Box

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement The Art of the Cap Box
    P
    Many

?

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    PS My colleague who furnished me an image of a cap badge on his rat eaten hat wanted to know why I post circus posters as well as images of the dance of death. We have to expand our horizons here, don't you think?Attachment 163767Attachment 163768
    Absolutely!

FB, I know that you shy away from translating for us ignorants, but could you explain what this is all about? I'm intrigued to know why Nazi Germany resorted to sexy postcard propaganda?

AK "Frauen schaffen für Euch" 1943 technische Zeichneri bei eBay.de: 1918-1945 (endet 19.12.10 19:02:05 MEZ)

Quote by BenVK View Post
    Yes, that's right, thanks for jogging my appalling memory. It is difficult to look at her beautiful face and think of what probably happened to her.
    Thank goodness you and your girl friend can celebrate the holidays far away from the unfortunate and tragic place in which this woman smiled at her murderers seventy odd years ago. May humankind learn from its appalling mistakes and idiocy. The Christmas season of 2010 gives less reason for hope than that of 1990, that much I can say to you.

?

Quote by locloc08 View Post
    Ben, I have to say that while you are quite the handsome devil ;-D
    You charmer you. All I can see is the bags under my eyes. Too many late nights!

Quote by BenVK View Post
    Absolutely!

FB, I know that you shy away from translating for us ignorants, but could you explain what this is all about? I'm intrigued to know why Nazi Germany resorted to sexy postcard propaganda?

AK "Frauen schaffen für Euch" 1943 technische Zeichneri bei eBay.de: 1918-1945 (endet 19.12.10 19:02:05 MEZ)

This is a technical illustrator girl under the title of "women produce for you!" as in war production and not Kinder. This kind of shapely woman is quite normal, and was a result of the push for mobilization also of women (vimmin) after the total war speech by Goebbels in early 1943.
    It is a nice piece, surely. Sexy illustrations were quite normal in Nazi Germany, either in the outright risque type (see the Tiger and Pantherfibel) or the official sanctioned racial nudes that were legion. These people were not and are not puritans, and have quite a habit of showing what they have, since it is usually not bad at all.

?

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    Thank goodness you and your girl friend can celebrate the holidays far away from the unfortunate and tragic place in which this woman smiled at her murderers seventy odd years ago. May humankind learn from its appalling mistakes and idiocy. The Christmas season of 2010 gives less reason for hope than that of 1990, that much I can say to you.
    The irony is not lost on me, believe me. At the moment in Britain, there is a huge emphasis on celebrating the sacrifice of our fighting men in Afghanistan. The media are trying to generate a feeling of National pride based on young guys being blown up by roadside bombs in a country that we should not even be involved with. Let's not bring politics into this discussion though. It always ends in arguement and bad feelings.

You are quite right. I honor the sacrifice of these men and women far from home, well known to me and quite precious surely as a result. We won't engage grand strategy and policy, since that is not our brief here. We honor and respect the toll in blood and treasure paid by your country and mine, as well as by other NATO, allied and partner countries in their number as well as all those Iraqis, Afghans, and Pakistanis in their number who are victims of war. The hows and whys of war are for another place, to be sure. The smiling woman in Kutno of October 1939 underscores for me something that I think about constantly when I am in Europe (which I am frequently...) and elsewhere as to the endless cycle of peace and war in human existence. In 1990 I was more optimistic about the whole thing, and now I am not, which also always accompanies me when I look at this regalia around me and reflect on how my German and Austrian friends respond to it. I am also married to a woman from central Europe whose family had more of the 20th century than did some, which makes me all the more reflective especially at Christmas time.

?

Christmas is a time for reflection. I hear the British media go on and on about the great sacrifice of our guys in Afghanistan, especially now at xmas time. There will even be TV specials in honour for them. Whilst I totaly respect the British soldier, I can't help but make the connection with Goebbels and the infamous farce, "Stalingrad calling, from the city on the Volga". Those young Germans were also in a country a long way from home at Christmas, wondering what the hell they were doing there and what were they fighting for.

?

Too lighter things.

Someone I know is looking forward to Christmas!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Art of the Cap Box  

?

We hear the same rhetoric in Australia....I totally support our soldiers...but wander how its all going to end.
    The combatants from 70 years ago,at least, knew who their enemy was and could spot them from miles away!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast