Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Artillery Officers Visor any good?

Article about: New member, first post. I am hoping to learn from the experts on authentication of an Artillery officers visor cap. From my limited experience I understand that this maker is faked a lot so

?

Default Artillery Officers Visor any good?

New member, first post. I am hoping to learn from the experts on authentication of an Artillery officers visor cap. From my limited experience I understand that this maker is faked a lot so this adds to my concerns. I appreciate any feedback. The sweatband is Mayser maker marked, maybe a replacement? I don't want my first purchase to be "not a good one" if you know what I mean.
    Thanks!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Artillery Officers Visor any good?   Artillery Officers Visor any good?  

Artillery Officers Visor any good?   Artillery Officers Visor any good?  

Artillery Officers Visor any good?   Artillery Officers Visor any good?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Artillery Officers Visor any good?
    P
    Many

Hello DRCT, and welcome to the forum!
    Your 1st hat (and congrats on it!) is a period Extra Klasse, made by JC Kornacker of Hildesheim.

They used ersatz (compressed paper) sweatbands, which tended to fall apart and/or become detached.
    As such, it is not uncommon to find replacement sweatbands on them.
    IMO, that sweatband is a period replacement, as the wear is commensurate with the wear to the cap.

(BTW, my first visor was also Artillery!)
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

I forgot to mention that we have a thread on this maker here:

Maker Study: J.C. Kornacker of Hildesheim (Marke Standard)

"Extra Klasse" is probably the most used logo by the main German reproducer, Michael Janke.
    However, his hats do not have the lining pleats that the originals do.
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

?

Yes, I had read about that reproducer which made me wonder about the authenticity of this cap. One of your comments about the interior pleating in Kornacker caps in an older post that I had read re-assured my decision. I always try to do my research before asking questions. However, sometimes, even with all of the background research one needs, that re-assurance from those that are more accomplished is what's required.

I have collected military surplus guns for years, so I know that any of these hobbies will contain fakes and reproductions to fool unsuspecting buyers. However with that said, cloth TR headgear takes it to a whole other level. A lot more to learn for sure!

Thanks so much for your help stonemint!