Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bergmütze - named/unit marked

Article about: Is it possible to post a picture of the inside of the cap, behind the peak with the sweatband down? Jacques

Default Bergmütze - named/unit marked

Here is a Bergmütze that was picked up near Straubing. There was a matching winter weight cap I could not afford to buy - from the same soldier! It is marked 13. (Er) Geb. Art. Reg. 79 and is named to F. Schnitzlbaumer. I also purchased a Windjacke at the same time and it might be from the same soldier - but the marking is quite faded.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Bergmütze - named/unit marked   Bergmütze - named/unit marked  

Bergmütze - named/unit marked  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Bergmütze - named/unit marked
    P
    Many

Jan
    ?

Default Re: Bergmütze - named/unit marked

Never seen makers marks like that but then again I´m just learning, could it be for re-enacting??

Rgds Jan

Re-enacting? If you are referencing the E. that should be short for Ersatz - training or replacement unit. This is NOT a repro.

Hi Neil,
    in my very humble opinion your bergmutze is a scaringly well made repro!Sorry to tell you but it's my opinion anyway,and I wouldn't buy it for €200!I don't know how much you've paid it but it would be interesting to know!Me,I don't like the markings and the name tag,even if quite a few details are spot on.
    You say that there was a "matching winter weight cap"...I can't understand what you're referring to...a feldmutze made of white cloth?If there was one then it was a 100% fake,at least if it was made EXACTLY like the green one with all the bells and whistles including markings,in that only a white cover was issued (very,very rare!),which was put on the bergmutze like an elmet cover or the white/yellow covers many Policemen put on their caps at night.
    If you think that fakers don't push themselves to such "extremes" please let me tell you that four years ago an Italian dealer had not one,not two, but three late model mountain caps with him at a show...they were incredibly well made,including original t-shaped insigna and edelweisse!I left the dealer my hunting license and went out in the light and out of sight with one of the caps to see-out of couriosity- if there was something under the lining around the crown and in front;brough out a small sharp blade and strategically and chirurgically removed two stiches and inside there was thin cheese cloth around the crown and thicker cheese cloth at the front...brilliant move !Too bad I'd have rather seen "rubberized" cheese cloth/cloth at the sides and around the crown.
    Those caps were scaringly well made,came from the Czech Republic and there was at least one on the table of the "reputable" dealers,including two German,one French,one Belgian and two Italians!
    Better pictures are needed here!
    My 0.02
    Manny

Manny, Thanks for your input - although you are quite incorrect. This is a bona-fide example. The winter weight cap I mentioned had a padded lining with a quilted look and it was marked for the same soldier. This one was purchased directly from the family. My camera does not take the best photos despite being digital. I experienced the very same reaction to a mint late war FJ helmet that was deemed to be fake by several list members - all but Adrian - who responded to the thread. That particular helmet garnered $3,000 US for me last month. I certainly wouldn't let this cap go for less than $500 US - if it were for sale. Neil

?

Neil , i think this one looks pukka to me , i like the overall look, markings etc, id like to see the sweatband as it looks like aged leather, i take it that this cap had not been worn often which would account for the lack of sweat marks on the markings , also a photo of the stitching would be helpful, but from what i see all looks okay from the photo.

Quote by Neil Hever View Post
    Manny, Thanks for your input - although you are quite incorrect. This is a bona-fide example. The winter weight cap I mentioned had a padded lining with a quilted look and it was marked for the same soldier. This one was purchased directly from the family. My camera does not take the best photos despite being digital. I experienced the very same reaction to a mint late war Fallschirmjager helmet that was deemed to be fake by several list members - all but Adrian - who responded to the thread. That particular helmet garnered $3,000 US for me last month. I certainly wouldn't let this cap go for less than $500 US - if it were for sale. Neil
    Hi Neil,
    I'd be as incorrect as you can be or as correct as you are...depending on how you look at it!
    I've taken the liberty to read your previous posts and,please don't be offended,looks like you're quite new to WW2 German headgear and I really can't understand if you're the seller or the owner sometimes,especially so reading your posts on the Fallschirmjager helmet thread but,hey,it's only me.
    Have you got this item STRAIGHT from the family or from a third party?
    I think that your camera has a macro mode and that you know how to use it,so if you know what to focus onto I think that it wouldn't be that hard from you to take pictures at a few tell-tale details,starting with the grommets!In case it doesn't work well a cell phone could be of use.
    In my VERY HUMBLE opinion this cap is a top-end repro and I'd be VERY,VERY happy for you if I were wrong on this one!
    If I were you I'd post my cap here:http://coiffures.aceboard.fr/ or ask S.Vestae who is a member here.
    Cheers
    Manny

I've made a quick search (not a Google) on the caps made by Bayerische Mutzenfabrik Wilhelm Schreiber and looks like ALL Wartime products were either stamped"BAMUFA" or Bayerische Mutzenfabrik (no dash) Wilhelm Schreiber,and also loks like Schreiber only produced Schirmutzen and that exclusively gray soft leather sweatsband.
    Again, post this cap on the forum I've indicated in my previou post and I'm sure you'll get more opinions!
    I'm glad that on the other thread Ade endorsed your FJ helm,but he's human just like you and me and...errare HUMANUM est !
    Cheers
    Manny

Manny, I'm a collector with 36 years of experience. I will run this cap past several other veteran collectors. Neil

More pic requested...but I like the cap

Sebastien.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast