Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

a black SS officer's cap of early make

Article about: or this variant...? This one on the left is the very first type, I believe....this is found in a Peter Kupper SS cap of early make. This type of tag is also faked now widely. The Internet ha

?

Default Re: a black SS officer's cap of early make

The one hat that interests more than any other here is the one with the wool covered peak.

I have found no direct lineage of such a cap from Germany's past as yet. So little is known as to the why and how they came to be, it makes us all look like stumbling, ignorant fools which no doubt we are.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement a black SS officer's cap of early make
    P
    Many

The cap with the wool peak was widely used in the Reichswehr, and then in its black form in the SS. Colleague d'Alquen has shown us his own example, which is remarkable, and there are many pictures of it in wear. It was the precursor to the grey cap with cat nip. But the cap with the cloth peak was used in the Rw and many of them were found in Babelsberg twenty years ago by the No Virgnia high roller dealer. I should have bought one at the time, but I gave it no thought. Look at pictures of the Rw in the 1920s and 1930s and you will see the cap with the cloth peak in wide use as a field cap.

?

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    Thanks for the images. I also have to secure the book you illustrate, as it has a lot for our consideration, as well.
    It is not as rare as the Hempe book I own.
    I can confirm that to be true. It was trying to find the Hempe book that I stumbled across that book instead.

It's interesting to note the close connection between the fur trade and mutzenmachers of the 20's who had their own trade publication. Most fur traders were Jewish in fact and the decline of said industry within Germany is obvious in the extreme.

The purpose was note to sidetrack to the well documented Jewish persecution however.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture a black SS officer's cap of early make   a black SS officer's cap of early make  

Here is colleague d'Alquen's cap....a black SS officer's cap of early make
    There are pictures of the thing in use in the Shea Beaver book, as well as in the French picture histories of the LAH in their number.

Someone here can find the Rw images, which are numerous. I think same is also in the Rest Militaria Verlag picture book on Rw uniforms. I now have a scanner, but it is a flimsy piece of junk. I will work on making a picture, but maybe colleague Derek can oblige us.

I am sure the cap with the cloth peak existed in civilian life too as a sailing cap, since I own one even now....it is no big deal.

?

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    The cap with the wool peak was widely used in the Reichswehr
    Really? I've honestly never seen one to this day.

Quote by BenVK View Post
    Really? I've honestly never seen one to this day.
    I will find you a picture. They were also worn into the 1934 or so period in the Rw in the III. Reich, in fact.

The Schlicht/Kraus book on the Rw from Rest Verlag has numerous illustrations of said object, introduced in 1920 and worn through the Weimar Republic. I cannot get the book into my flimsy scanner, but maybe someone else has the source and is more agile with the scanner.

The Rw cap was likely the prototype for the SS one, but did not the SA training base have some field cap thingy, too?

A lot of SA training base people migrated to the SSVT, did they not?

?

I did not know that the Rw had such a cap and I'm trying to understand the rationale behind the wool peak? Surely not a design feature due to leather shortages, I've owned many 1920s, 30s caps with beautifully tailored leather peaks for very mediocre branches of German society.

Quote by BenVK View Post
    I did not know that the Rw had such a cap and I'm trying to understand the rationale behind the wool peak? Surely not a design feature due to leather shortages, I've owned many 1920s, 30s caps with beautifully tailored leather peaks for very mediocre branches of German society.
    Who knows? In any case, were I more adept with my scanner, I would unveil the needed images. Look, though in the Wikimedia images from the Bundesarchiv, as I am sure something is there.

I can tell you this, however, from some study: the Rw did not have a very big budget in the greater scheme of the Weimar Republic and the field cap was introduced at a low point in 1920, i.e. during the inflation.

?

Maybe the answers lay in a certain mutzenmachers shop in Hamburg.

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast