Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Cap Making

Article about: Ladies and Gentlemen, encouraged by and with the consent of F.-B. (thanks a lot for the encouragement) I publish the pages of Hempe's book relevant for visor cap making. This also involves a

Bravo, Wolfgang. Art is art, after all, and you are an artist! Hurra!

Don't keep your light behind the bushel.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Cap Making
    P
    Many

The training these people had was more or less eight years in order to become a master, and surely, Hempe and Prediger were at the top of the crowd, in turn.

Thanks again for undermining the idiot ideas in the on line cap text book as propagated especially on the other site, with all its reckless misinformation and fake
    facts.

Pfui.

Gruess nach dem Salzburger Land!Cap MakingCap MakingCap MakingCap MakingCap MakingCap MakingCap MakingCap Making

?

Thank you, F.-B.! Grüsse retour!

I wish to thank Erel for letting me have Prediger's texts and you for the hint to Hempe's book. Without you two I would have never got to know "the real thing" and would always only have worked by trial and error. Prediger's templates lead to a very nice shape. I think I'll try some more caps this way.

So, again, thank you Erel and thank you F.-B.!

Way to go, Wolfgang--
    You are truly on your way to seeing that this "dead art" is coming back to life again!
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

Wolfgang--
    Do your references discuss this cut? Note that there is no angle to the visor in relation to the band (ie, a 180)--only one I have seen like it (and it may be a custom job):
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cap Making  

?

Hi stonemint,
    no, there is no mentioning of this kind of peak in any of the documents.
    Hempe writes (for the Feldmütze alter Art):

Schirm: Halbrund aus schwarzem, biegsamem Lackleder. Er ist etwa 27 cm lang, vorn an der breitesten Stelle 5 cm breit und in einem Winkel von 35 - 40 Grad gegen den Besatzstreifen geneigt. Die Innenseite ist schwarz lackiert.

Compare to what he writes about the Vulkanfiber-peak:
    Schirm: Halbrund aus schwarzlackiertem Vulkanfiber. Sein oberer und unterer Rand ist erhaben gepreßt; er ist 25 cm lang, vorn an der breitesten Stelle 4,5 cm breit und in einem Winkel von 35 - 40 Grad gegen den Besatzsteifen geneigt. Die Innenseite ist braun lackiert. (exactly the same text appears in Prediger's manual, there is no description of the leather peak there).

So the leather peak was 5 cm large and 27 cm long whereas the fibre peak was 4,5 cm large and 25 cm long, both should have an angle of between 35 and 40 degrees against the centerband. This angle was achieved by a more or less curved peak (the description says halbrund - semi-circular), the more curved, the smaller the angle. The peak in the picture doesn't seem to be curved at all, so there is this 90 degree angle and it goes straight down the centerband which is against the regulations. Perhaps there was not enough leather available for a curved peak or the owner insisted on this extraordinary shape which reminds me a bit of the British Coldstream Guards caps:

Cap Making

Cap Making

I'd again wish to thank F.-B., Erel and Wim Saris for these insights, I found all this in the documents they showed here/sent to me.

Wolfgang--here is another example of the extreme angle of a visor--almost 90 degrees:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cap Making  

?

I'd like to put in a link to my posts (# 1067 + # 1074) of the Mützenfabrik thread here which contain some very revealing material for cap makers:

Muetzenfabrik
    Last edited by ErWeSa; 05-28-2017 at 08:22 AM.

?

Weitze has a cap for sale presently made by a Otto Hempe, Mützenmachermeister Wiesbaden - I wonder wether he is related to our Fritz Hempe, the author of the textbook about cap-making.

See here: https://www.weitze.net/militaria/07/...b__283207.htmlCap MakingCap MakingCap Making

?

Another attempt with Prediger's templates:

Cap MakingAttachment 1082416Cap Making

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast