Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Collect the Waffenfarbe or collect the quality?

Article about: A recent thread on the other site got me to thinking, not for the first time, why the fascination with Waffenfarbe colour whilst at the same time ignoring the quality of the product? In othe

?

Default Collect the Waffenfarbe or collect the quality?

A recent thread on the other site got me to thinking, not for the first time, why the fascination with Waffenfarbe colour whilst at the same time ignoring the quality of the product?

In other words, paying top dollar for a mediocre quality Pz Gren piped hat and ignoring a superb quality Artillery piped hat?

Ok, so Pz Gren is a "sexier" branch of the WH but are we ever going to cast all these gun show preferences aside?

Anyway, which would you prefer?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Collect the Waffenfarbe or collect the quality?   Collect the Waffenfarbe or collect the quality?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Collect the Waffenfarbe or collect the quality?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Collect the Waffenfarbe or collect the quality?

I find the color scheme more pleasing to my eyes of the Pz Gren, but the bullion wreath on the artillery also strikes me. If money was no concern to me I would most likely take both but If I had to choose one I would pick the artillery since I prefer complete items in there original state when there is a choice.
    I really have no bias in collecting besides I prioritize collecting items of which my relatives have used.

Given that I only have 3 heer infanterie EM/NCO schirmmuetze (the source of much of my collecting stress), I would go for the artillerie cap. If I already had an artillerie cap, even a salty one, I'd go for the panzergrenadier cap.

In conclusion, I think I'd rather get all of the waffenfarbe before I go looking for particularly nice caps.

I would take the superb quality Artillery piped hat.

?

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    In conclusion, I think I'd rather get all of the waffenfarbe before I go looking for particularly nice caps.
    Why? what's the urge and what would you learn?

I would agree with Mo to some extent, I think it is rather redundant to have more than one of the same item that is in the same condition. I would prefer to have one of every cap opposed to a few mint identical examples as long as every cap was not in rags.
    The motive behind this is that I like to represent all aspects of the things I collect hence I do not just collect one branch of service or country, this is why I find it hard to specialize in my collecting...
    Just my opinion

Quote by BenVK View Post
    Why? what's the urge and what would you learn?
    I guess it would just be a good base to go off of. Get all the waffenfarbe, then start the process of replacing the tattered ones with schirmmuetze that are in better condition. That way, I will have a complete collection, but I can always make it better. Plus, the lesser-quality and more beat-up caps can be sold to help fund the better purchases.

This is how I have been approaching my entire militaria collection, and it has worked well for me so far.

?

I think this could turn into a very interesting thread.

Personally, I could care less about the colour of the piping. I simply buy what comes my way that interests me in terms of maker, quality and price.
    I've tried hard to understand why collectors must have one of each colour.
    I still don't get it though.

It seems to me that cap collecting is quite different from all of the other various forms, in that it was definitely more of an art than a industry. I take it most of your collection is made up of private purchase caps as opposed to contract caps?

It all really just comes down to personal preference. I want a variety of caps to represent a variety of military histories, and I am not quite as concerned about the specific makers. I can certainly see the appeal, though. It's just not necessarily my thing, you know?

?

Don't get me wrong, this is not an exercise in why one should collect hats.

So far, and its not really a surprise, your reasons are totaly different to mine.

That's totaly fine though, I'm just interested in learning the motive and think that motive will be a surprise to a lot of experienced collectors.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast