Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Combat worn Infantry officer visor

Article about: Hi Guys...I have this Infantry Officer visor which has clearly seen some action and has the 'jaunty' angled crushed look to it, the insignia are both bullion...has staining to the piping esp

Default Combat worn Infantry officer visor

Hi Guys...I have this Infantry Officer visor which has clearly seen some action and has the 'jaunty' angled crushed look to it, the insignia are both bullion...has staining to the piping especially the back. It has some unit markings on the inside of the leather sweatband but I do not know what they mean 2.(F) J.R 22 ...any help?

Cheers

David
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Combat worn Infantry officer visor   Combat worn Infantry officer visor  

Combat worn Infantry officer visor   Combat worn Infantry officer visor  

Combat worn Infantry officer visor   Combat worn Infantry officer visor  

Combat worn Infantry officer visor  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Combat worn Infantry officer visor
    P
    Many

TWS
    ?

I think the letter is more likely an "E", albeit with some spots of ink lost to time.

The unit stamp means: 2. Kompanie (Ersatz) Infanterie Regiment 22.

"J" was often used in place of capital "I".
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

?

Considering the shape and the stamps I think that originally it was an EM/NCO cap which was upgraded to an officer's cap, whenever this was done.

TWS
    ?

Quote by ErWeSa View Post
    Considering the shape and the stamps I think that originally it was an EM/NCO cap which was upgraded to an officer's cap, whenever this was done.
    Yes. I thought about writing that. Appears to have been an issue enlisted contract cap that was "promoted" to officer grade. I also saw traces of a "Geprüft" stamp which could be related to that.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

Hi Todd/ ErWeSa

Thanks for the replies and looking at the letter it does look like an E more than an F which would make sense, this is an enlisted mans cap as you have both said.....the wear to the bullion wreath and eagle are consistant to the general look and wear of the cap itself. The chincords are a little big for the cap as would say its about a size 56/7.

I do like this cap as I much prefer the combat look to mint looking ones, but do have both types in my collection of visors.

Thanks again guys

David

TWS
    ?

You're welcome David. I have a heavily worn cap that was upgraded to officer in my collection and I love it. Like yours, the wear and aging to all components is matching and it helps that I've owned the cap since the 1980's and know where it's been since the early '70's.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

A cracking cap... I just love the look of the caps that have been 'shaped' and show so many obvious signs of heavy service use.

Hi gents,
    Not to hijack the thread but for my own personal education how do you tell it's been upgraded from an EM/NCO to an officer? Are there any particular signs? Might be an incredibly broad question I'm asking so I understand if it's a lot to go into.

On a side note, what a lovely cap! Always prefer combat used rather than mint myself
    Kindest Regards,
    Harvey

?

Quote by HetzersGonnaHetz View Post
    Hi gents,
    Not to hijack the thread but for my own personal education how do you tell it's been upgraded from an EM/NCO to an officer? Are there any particular signs? Might be an incredibly broad question I'm asking so I understand if it's a lot to go into.

On a side note, what a lovely cap! Always prefer combat used rather than mint myself
    Kindest Regards,
    Harvey
    Yes, there are. Contract caps didn't have (in most cases) the "elegant" shape of private purchase caps, they were rather the flat saucer-shaped style. Then these caps had unit-stamps and the I or II stamp in it and - if private purchase - the "Geprüft" stamp meaning that the cap was officially checked. (cp. the Wilkins-book).
    There is a twin here (also upgraded cap): My first Heer Infantry Officer Schirmmütze.
    All that doesn't mean that were no exceptions, particularly late(r) in the war.

TWS
    ?

For reference, here is my cap that is an enlisted (contract cap) upgrade:

Orange piped Heer visor cap
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast