Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Early Pionier Enlisted Contract Caps

Article about: Tonight I closed my eyes and stuck my hand in the magic closet, waved it around... and withdrew a Pionier visor cap. It's a contract piece and has an unusually dark sweatband. I would think

TWS
    ?

Default Early Pionier Enlisted Contract Caps

Tonight I closed my eyes and stuck my hand in the magic closet, waved it around... and withdrew a Pionier visor cap. It's a contract piece and has an unusually dark sweatband. I would think it was a replacement, but it is attached with the exact same thread as the lining. No stamps on the inside of the lining - as if they would be visible anyway as dark as it is - but the chinstrap is stamped "RAHM & KAMPMANN Wuppertal-Elbe" and is dated 1937.

For grins, I pulled down an even earlier contract cap off my display shelves. Note the lighter cap band on the super early cap. That one is stamped to "Stab P. B. 7" for staff of Pionier Battalion 7. The manufacture date is 9th of December, 1934. It has a sheet of newspaper folded in the back of the sweatband (tighter fit) and I think the illustration stuck in the name tag slot is cut from a cigarette pack or advertisement but not sure. Could be from the same newspaper he tucked in the sweatband. The unit received the designation of Pionier Battalion 7 on 15 October, 1935 and was initially in Munich but moved nearby to Rosenheim the following October. As part of 7. Infanterie Division it took place in the entire laundry list of campaigns. The march into Austria, invasions of Poland and France, and finally Russia for the rest of war with a lot of hard fighting and heavy losses. Here's a an early history: (but auf Deutsch) Pionierbataillon 7

Early Pionier Enlisted Contract CapsEarly Pionier Enlisted Contract CapsEarly Pionier Enlisted Contract CapsEarly Pionier Enlisted Contract CapsEarly Pionier Enlisted Contract CapsEarly Pionier Enlisted Contract CapsEarly Pionier Enlisted Contract CapsEarly Pionier Enlisted Contract Caps
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Early Pionier Enlisted Contract Caps
    P
    Many

TWS
    ?

The '34 dated Pi. Bn 7 cap (left, lighter cap band).
    Early Pionier Enlisted Contract CapsEarly Pionier Enlisted Contract CapsEarly Pionier Enlisted Contract CapsEarly Pionier Enlisted Contract Caps
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

MAP
    ?

Love that magic closet. Like my camo tree it never disappoints! LoL

Beautiful examples. I have a similar contract Pioneer... will need to pull it out and look at it again as it's been a long time.

The stamps on the older example are fantastic. That is what is great about "lowly" contract visors. High end private purchase caps never have this

I never knew the chin straps could be marked....will have to look at all of my EM visors now
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

TWS
    ?

Quote by MAP View Post
    Love that magic closet. Like my camo tree it never disappoints! LoL

Beautiful examples. I have a similar contract Pioneer... will need to pull it out and look at it again as it's been a long time.

The stamps on the older example are fantastic. That is what is great about "lowly" contract visors. High end private purchase caps never have this

I never knew the chin straps could be marked....will have to look at all of my EM visors now
    Thanks! The magic closet will slowly reveal it's treasures. I wish I had a camo tree. Can you send me some seeds from yours so I can plant one?

Yeah, Germans being Germans most everything contract had to be stamped. (Predominantly German ancestry myself so I'm allowed to poke fun). Although Erel Luftwaffe officer caps were stamped with the exact date too. Stonemint has a thread on that somewhere and I contributed one of mine.

A lot of chinstraps are marked, but just be gentle when checking. I was sweating a little as I held mine down to snap the photos. Post your cap in here when you get a chance.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

That earlier cap is interesting as it was made only a few months after the Reichwehr oath to Hitler was introduced. And at 9 December 1934, it's still the Reichwehr, not yet Wehrmacht. I wonder whether in December 1934 it had the Nazi eagle on the cap, or was that introduced in 1935?

TWS
    ?

Quote by Anderson View Post
    That earlier cap is interesting as it was made only a few months after the Reichwehr oath to Hitler was introduced. And at 9 December 1934, it's still the Reichwehr, not yet Wehrmacht. I wonder whether in December 1934 it had the Nazi eagle on the cap, or was that introduced in 1935?
    Great question. I'd have to pull the book down off the shelf to check when the insignia change was mandated. One thing I can tell you is that the cap shows evidence that at one time the front of the interior lining was folded up from under the sweatband for (presumeably) that insignia change.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

Never knew about the marked visor straps either. I know that company we see marked very often on helmet straps.
    Thanks for sharing that
    D.

Great pioneer caps Todd. The insignia from 1933 would have been a first pattern wreath with national cockade on the cap band and a state cockade on the crown. For Pioneer Battalion 7 I believe that would be a Bavarian unit. The eagle was officially adopted in 1935 but it was commonly worn before that.

cheers Tony

If I may add to the thread here are three examples of early pioneer caps ….

CW private purchase officers cap with first pattern insignia

Reichswehr PB. 2 cap from 1922.

Contract cap for PB.45 dated 1935 with first pattern insignia

Early Pionier Enlisted Contract CapsEarly Pionier Enlisted Contract CapsEarly Pionier Enlisted Contract CapsEarly Pionier Enlisted Contract CapsEarly Pionier Enlisted Contract CapsEarly Pionier Enlisted Contract CapsEarly Pionier Enlisted Contract CapsEarly Pionier Enlisted Contract CapsEarly Pionier Enlisted Contract CapsEarly Pionier Enlisted Contract Caps

TWS
    ?

Quote by spandau View Post
    Great pioneer caps Todd. The insignia from 1933 would have been a first pattern wreath with national cockade on the cap band and a state cockade on the crown. For Pioneer Battalion 7 I believe that would be a Bavarian unit. The eagle was officially adopted in 1935 but it was commonly worn before that.

cheers Tony
    Thanks. And yes sir, Bavarian unit. I posted a tiny snippet up top but the link has a much fuller history.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."