Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Fire Police Visor (Feller-Eckert)

Article about: Hello all, Does this slightly sad looking Feuerwehr visor look WW2 period? The construction of the visor, the colour of the underside and the sweatband and the lack of vent holes seem very w

Red face Fire Police Visor (Feller-Eckert)

Hello all,

Does this slightly sad looking Feuerwehr visor look WW2 period? The construction of the visor, the colour of the underside and the sweatband and the lack of vent holes seem very ww2 to me, but the plastic sweat diamond is throwing me off...

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Jon

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Fire Police Visor (Feller-Eckert)
    P
    Many

?

Hello,
    why do you think the sweat diamond/sweat shield is plastic? Have you got the cap at hand? Then you could have a feel. Looks like cellophane to me. But, as always, from pictures alone it is hard to tell...

No, I don't actually have it on hand. It may be cellophane, though I thought it might be plastic from the pictures. Do you think it looks period?

IMO, it is a period visor (and the sweatdiamond is celluloid).
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

Hi stonemint,
    Thanks for clarifying the material of the sweat diamond and for your take on the cap's originality. I take it that it is likely Third Reich-dated for the reasons I mentioned above? (colour and material of the visor, brown leather sweatband, lack of vent holes)
    Have you heard of Feller-Eckert before? I have not come across that particular maker/distributor in the past.
    Thanks,
    Jon

?

Quote by stonemint View Post
    IMO, it is a period visor (and the sweatdiamond is celluloid).
    Dear Sir,
    I'm not too sure about the celluloid (but who knows what the cap makers really took) as the Herstellungsvorschrift (quoted by Prediger in "Die Bekleidungsarbeit" 6/39) says "Auf dem Futterboden ist zum Schutze gegen Schweiß usw. eine .... hinten abgerundete, wetterfeste, glashelle Cellophanplatte oder eine Platte aus elastischem Zellon, ..... so aufgesteppt, daß der hintere abgerundete Teil bis zur Raindsteife reicht."

(As a protection against sweat etc. a ..... sheet of cellophane [see here: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellulosehydrat] or a sheet of elastic cellon [see here: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellon] ... has to be sewn on the bottom of the lining so that the rounded part at the rear reaches the centerband.)

One of the properties of cellon is - contrary to celluloid - that it doesn't burn easily. This may have bee a reason to use it - but, who knows!
    Last edited by ErWeSa; 07-08-2017 at 12:35 PM.

Feller-Eckert was most likely the distributor. They are/were from Lauingen-Donau-Schwaben.
    Today there still exists a "Tuchfabrik Feller" in Lauingen-Donau. (FELLER J. GMBH & CO. KG TUCHFABRIK LUDWIGSAU.

Here is a WH visor by Erel distributed by them:
    (hat tip: Erel)
    Attached Images Attached Images Fire Police Visor (Feller-Eckert) 

I take it back--it looks like they went out of business last year--another victim of the internet:

Das Ende eines Kapitels Wirtschaftsgeschichte in Freising - FINK - Das Magazin aus Freising - FINK

?

Similar story as the one of J. B. Holzinger/Berchtesgaden. I saw the shop in the late 1990ies, after that, all of a sudden, it was gone. Not that they sold uniforms there then, but it was a shop for national costumes (Dirndlkleider) and not at the old address - they were in a new building which didn't exist before 1945.

Wolfgang, I am amazed that they lasted as long as they did.
    Even Peter Kupper and Vogele survived into the late 1990s before going belly-up.

BTW,that gives me an idea--we should start a list of makers/distributors that still exist today (I know a few are listed in the Muetzenfabrik thread)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast