Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Generic Paper Label - German Felt Dress Hat

Article about: I am a collector of vintage German and Austrian dress hats. I have a couple examples of this paper label with no company mark. Any help would be appreciated! I was thinking at first EMS migh

?

Quote by stonemint View Post
    Lovely derby. There is a Marie Slama of Vienna who was (probably still is) Vienna's premier visor hat maker.
    Do you know if there was any connection to the distributor (W. Slama) named in your hat?
    I recall Slama in Salzburg. I think Collins took it over. As far as I know there is no connection to Slama Marie in Vienna, just coincidence, they were just a distributor, didn't produce hats or caps.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Generic Paper Label - German Felt Dress Hat
    P
    Many

Quote by ErWeSa View Post
    Sure you can post the pictures, glad that there are people who appreciate old hats!
    Thanks! I sent you a PM.

Quote by ErWeSa View Post
    I recall Slama in Salzburg. I think Collins took it over. As far as I know there is no connection to Slama Marie in Vienna, just coincidence, they were just a distributor, didn't produce hats or caps.
    Unfortunately Collins is not making hats anymore. My friend sold their hats in Germany (the only German retailer). They actually used a retired P. & C. Habig Wien hat maker and acquired the P. & C. Habig blocks and flanges when they went under back in the late 1980s. Walter Kollin died in 2010 and I have no idea of the status of the P. & C. Habig blocks and flanges. Here is a Collins of mine with a custom ribbon / bow.

Last edited by habigmann; 05-14-2015 at 03:31 PM.

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    Attachment 838952

Here is such a label in an SS peaked cap.
    Yes the paper labels can be a lot of help. The problem is when the hats are generic and there is no company mark. For example this 1950s Windsor.

This is a German made hat but not sure what company made it. Windsor is just a marketing brand name (anglo branding was typical of this time period). There isn't any company mark on the paper label and there isn't anything in the format that I can associate with a known hat company. I searched the Windsor trademark but didn't find anything. It's a really nice hat so probably made by one of the better German hat companies of the time period.
    Last edited by habigmann; 05-14-2015 at 03:28 PM.

Quote by SteveR View Post
    Beautiful hats.

I like vintage American made Stetsons myself.
    Thanks!

Stetson made great hats. They are widely collected unlike German and Austrian soft and stiff felt hats. The original company (out of Philadelphia) went out of business in the early 1970s. The brand is now owned by Hatco out of Gaylord, TX (they own most of the old American brand names). What is interesting is they are now offering some Stetson dress soft felts with vintage blocking / dimensions. The are also trying up the quality (this is a big problem overall today). This is the 150th anniversary of Stetson.

Side note: Mayser had the German licence to make Stetson hats from 1954 (can't remember when they gave it up, now licensed by F.W. Schneider).

Stetson - Mayser 3X Beaver Quality Homburg, size 58cm

Quote by stonemint View Post
    It is really a shame that the era of the gentleman's hat has passed, be it fedora, derby, or pork-pie.
    I really would have enjoyed wearing one back in my big-city days in the midwest (practical, too).
    What is interesting is the decline started in the early 1900s. The peak of hat wearing was around 1900. It's amazing how big a business is was back in those days.

You might want to take a look at some of the new vintage open crown models (Stratoliner, Stetsonian, ect.) from Stetson. They have the original blocking and dimensions. Also have tried to improve quality (a big problem with modern made factory hats).

Me and my American Stetson, bought in Kansas at Shepler's
    in about 1980.

Generic Paper Label - German Felt Dress Hat

I do not wear the hat anymore since about 1985.
    I had made a special band for it for my favorite:
    DAVID ALLAN COE (which is still in my possession).

Good one!

?

Quote by habigmann View Post
    Thanks!

Stetson made great hats. They are widely collected unlike German and Austrian soft and stiff felt hats. The original company (out of Philadelphia) went out of business in the early 1970s. The brand is now owned by Hatco out of Gaylord, TX (they own most of the old American brand names). What is interesting is they are now offering some Stetson dress soft felts with vintage blocking / dimensions. The are also trying up the quality (this is a big problem overall today). This is the 150th anniversary of Stetson.

Side note: Mayser had the German licence to make Stetson hats from 1954 (can't remember when they gave it up, now licensed by F.W. Schneider).

Stetson - Mayser 3X Beaver Quality Homburg, size 58cm

That is a great Stetson friend.

Thanks!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast