Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

German Gebirgsjäger Schirmmütze , 139 Gebirgsjäger Regiment. For your opinion, please

Article about: Dear Gentlemen, Please find attached some pictures of a Gebirgsjäger Schirmmütze I have found. It is marked inside 13/ G.J.R/139 ; I think for 139 Gebirgsjäger Regiment. It looks good to me,

?

Default German Gebirgsjäger Schirmmütze , 139 Gebirgsjäger Regiment. For your opinion, please

Dear Gentlemen,

Please find attached some pictures of a Gebirgsjäger Schirmmütze I have found.
    It is marked inside 13/ G.J.R/139 ; I think for 139 Gebirgsjäger Regiment.
    It looks good to me, nevertheless it has some reparations around the Oak Leaves.

What do you think of it ?
    Should it have an Edelweiss or is it not mandatory ?

Many thanks for your reply.

German Gebirgsjäger Schirmmütze , 139 Gebirgsjäger Regiment. For your opinion, please

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German Gebirgsjäger Schirmmütze , 139 Gebirgsjäger Regiment. For your opinion, please
    P
    Many

Hat is original, and yes, it is for GJ.
    However, it is what is known as a contract (issued) visor, and as such, would have had EM/NCO insignia on it.

There is the possibility that the GJ trooper was promoted to Officer, and added the bullion insignia after promotion. (there is also the possibility that the bullion was added postwar by an unscrupulous seller).

Also, if you look at the visors in this thread, not all GJ wore the Edelweiss on their hats:

GJ (Mountain Troop) Visors in Period Photographs
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

Jan
    ?

Hi there,

Interesting well worn visor cap with an interesting GJR 139 connection

Best, jan

?

As Always, Thanks Stonemint and Jan for your prompt and valuable advices.
    I am happy it is a good one, I really like the connection with the GJR 139.
    I guess the 13 means 13 Kompany ?

Stonemint, may I ask you a stupid question, how do you know it is a contract (issued) visor ?

Many thanks

Contract caps have a teller (plate) shape; are made out of trikot wool; have a rust-colored muslin lining;
    and usually have the Regimental markings.

Private-purchase are made out of higher-quality wool; have higher peaks; better quality insignia; and silk linings.

?

Thanks Stonemint !

So this one is a Private-purchase cap :

your opinion about this Heer Schrimmutze...

It is my first Schirmmütze...

Yes, but that is an Officer visor--all officer visors are technically "private-purchase", as they were not issued to them. They could be purchased through a retailer, or from the Kleiderkasse.

?

Thanks, that's clear now !

I am not so sure but I think someone on the forum did a thread about a kind of guide about Schirmmutze for collector. Do you recommend such kind of book ?

Kind regards

?

Sorry, forget my last question, I just saw your thread.

Thanks