Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

German WW2 Peaked Hats: Cloth vs Metal Insignias

Article about: I am a new collector. I only have one hat and I got it from a known dealer and family friend, so I feel pretty confident that I have a good baseline to start off. Lately I have been looking

Default German WW2 Peaked Hats: Cloth vs Metal Insignias

I am a new collector. I only have one hat and I got it from a known dealer and family friend, so I feel pretty confident that I have a good baseline to start off. Lately I have been looking around on the internet and I have seen a cap for sale that has a cloth wreath and cockade and a metal eagle. The post claims it to be from the Luftwaffe. I haven't ever seen one that has both cloth and metal insignias. I understand why the Kriegsmarine would need cloth insignias because of the salty water/air, but not the other branches of the German military. Were they used at different times or has someone just found a replacement and didn't find the right one?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German WW2 Peaked Hats: Cloth vs Metal Insignias
    P
    Many

Hello and welcome to the forum!
    Officer's caps often had embroidered insignia.
    Many period photos can be found with pretty well any combination of embroidered and metal insignia.

Here is a thread where you can see many photos of head gear that may or may not be regulation.
    Don't tell me they wouldn't have worn it..........
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Above post says it all. Good luck with your collecting.

Thank you very much. Good luck to all!

?

Hello TheNewGuy,
    what exactly do you mean by a cloth wreath? A hand embroidered wreath, a machine emboidered wreath, a machine-woven wreath?
    Hand (bullion) embroidered wreaths were common (for an extra price) on officers' caps (see e. g. here for an example https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/attac...pinion-433.jpg), machine embroidered wreaths are rather the exception (see e. g. here for an example: https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/attac...img_5619_2.jpg) and, as far as I know, were never on WH or LW caps, machine woven badges were used e. g. on Feldmützen Alter Art (old style field caps), on Reichsbahn visors etc., see here for an example: https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/attac...e-img_0749.jpg
    Last edited by ErWeSa; 10-14-2017 at 05:04 PM.

MAP
    ?

Would be great if you could post a photo of this cap. We could answer in a jiffy if it is good or bad

For a first time poster...here is a how to on uploading photos.

Visual Guide to Upload Photos
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)