MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Grey SS Cap for SS Gentleman in Asia

Article about: Another observation. Black caps of the pre-war years always seemed to have been issued with Deschler TK's and most often of the cupal variety. Rarely do you see them with any other maker of

Default Re: Grey SS Cap for SS Gentleman in Asia

yes an update an hour ago. had heard this white summer piece coming out for sale a few months back, i would say the value is quite reasonable on par of its rarity, don't know thru Peter's website would be how much. who would be the lucky one to secure it the question is? for the other waffen ss visor, it would be another pyschological price barrier to break in this tying economic times.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Grey SS Cap for SS Gentleman in Asia
    P
    Many

The white cap is more expensive than the norm, surely.

I am sure it will unhinge more than one soul, granted the irrational nature of public reaction to white caps and what not.

However, the thing does surely look correct and its condition betrays to me, at least, the signs of authenticity of such a piece.

My taste is more hum drum.

In fact, the Konvolut of an Austrian illegal Nazi/SS man who later became an Sturmbannfuehrer in the 37 Standarte (the group includes a Boeker dagger of the model 1933...) is in a sense as interesting.

The man's name was Winkler and he was originally from Moravia, fled to Bavaria from Austria ca. 1936 and later joined the 37 Sta.

Happy collecting.

the white visor gives me a warm good feeling, i say buy it if you have the dough now

Quote by SSgentleman View Post
    the white visor gives me a warm good feeling, i say buy it if you have the dough now

We salute in advance the buyer and celebrate his prosperity and fine taste.

There was also a white and black uniform that turned up in Canada, but I do not know what happened to it.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Grey SS Cap for SS Gentleman in Asia  

addendum to above... one seldom sees a real white uniform. Also, one seldom sees white and black together. The original owner was a Sipo/SD officer in Hessen.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Grey SS Cap for SS Gentleman in Asia  
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 10-21-2008 at 07:15 PM.

Hello All,

the first cap seems to be a late war model with a light blue lining, and a late war wool, can you post more detail please ?

thanks
    Sebastien.

Quote by S.Vestae View Post
    Hello All,

the first cap seems to be a late war model with a light blue lining, and a late war wool, can you post more detail please ?

thanks
    Sebastien.
    I am not sure what you mean here above with your post? The cap at the top here has a light green lining, not unlike what one sees in a Lubstein "privat." ALthough it is surely not that. The cap at the top of the file has buttons marked from 1942 and I am not sure whether I would describe this piece as "late war." Actually, I believe that this Einheitstuch/Eskimo cloth began to be used in enlisted SS caps at an early date, i.e. around the outbreak of the war or soon thereafter.
    Further, these are all the images I have. The cap is not my property, after all. Happy collecting.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 10-22-2008 at 04:29 PM.

The sweat band in the field grey cap at the head of this file is similar to this piece I include here, a black Sonderanfertigung cap of late make.

Such caps were wrongly maligned by some as fakes, but they are quite real.

I believe A1 27 is Weissbach of Glachau in Saxony or Schlesien as stated above by one and all. In any case, a province with an "S" in it. Mr. Stonemint was extolling their virtues.

What this similarity in sweat bands means is too arcane for me.

We deal with the fragments of the past as best we can.

Maybe the order and sequence we detect reflect merely our own mental fragility and limitations in the face of the unknown unknowns.

Happy collecting.
    Attached Images Attached Images Grey SS Cap for SS Gentleman in Asia 

The black cap is similar to this one, which I also think is a Weissbach/Glachau Sonderanfertigung. Black caps of this kind for officers are listed in the price list in late 1940 and my wild guess is that they were made into 1941, but that is a guess.

Allgemeine SS units in the occupied territories were in the process of being raised well into the final quarter of 1940, if not later.

That is to say, just as many wartime Pickelhauben with zinc fittings of the era 1915 or so were made and never issued what with the introduction of the steel helmet, many of these black caps were made and kept in the Kammer, where they were never issued, at a time when grey caps were indeed made and issued in their number.

?

Very interesting interiors in the caps above. I've never seen this colour combination in a black cap before. I think you've already mentioned it Friedrich, about Wilkins stating in his book that maroon coloured bands being "textbook" for Kleiderkasse grey caps but I've not seen much evidence to back that up. If anything, I'd argue that that they are not the norm but actualy seldom seen.
    I can understand completely why some collectors might think this combination to be suspicious. In photographs, these interiors tend to look garish and modern, especially when compared to other caps of the same period with more traditional coloured materials.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast