Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The halcyon collecting years, a bit of nostalgia...

Article about: Simon T., in California sent this photo through to me, how many memories of the early collecting days does this photo bring back, wish the prices were still the same, I was told (thanks Dan)

Default The halcyon collecting years, a bit of nostalgia...

Simon T., in California sent this photo through to me, how many memories of the early collecting days does this
    photo bring back, wish the prices were still the same, I was told (thanks Dan) that the prices of Knights Crosses way
    back then was around $250 !! (wages were much lower too), and I would love to be able to swoop on those visors
    on the table.

I wonder if that young'un is still collecting these days

Bob
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The halcyon collecting years, a bit of nostalgia...  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement The halcyon collecting years, a bit of nostalgia...
    P
    Many

...and a P.S., yes I noticed the Luftwaffe generals vehicle pennant on the table too....

"Sigh"

I'd be suspicious on what looks to be a grand cross? there,- well it looks larger than the knights cross above

?

I noticed that as well rene

I was 10 years old-- nagging my German Mother incessantly for about a month until she finally bought me that Stahlhelm...
    That youngster in the photo reminds me so much of myself...
    cheers, Glenn
    Last edited by bigmacglenn; 09-28-2015 at 04:05 PM.

me too, it was a kraut para one and wasn't allowed due to not so distant memories!!

?

I was handed down many relics as a youth... There was a shop in town and I can remember the old woman was trying to explain the significance of a tinnie almost exactly to this one.. My father bought it for me with my anticipated allowance.. ( I as a lad unlike today had chores ) to perform in order to buy things..
    How I miss those days...And the prices as well.. I was lucky... My parents were understanding of a collector view Vs. a "KOOK" as it is or may not be in todays society... Just my two cents.. Sorry for the reminiscing.. G
    Attached Images Attached Images The halcyon collecting years, a bit of nostalgia... 
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

MAP
    ?

The kids has a couple of bucks in his hand and I swear he is eyeing that stag handled bayonet!!!!

But the really really important question here is that third badge down from the top on the upper right of the picture...Is that the commissioned but never issued (produced?) Luft PAB? Where is Ned when you need him. Or is it just my tired old eyes?
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

And another photo of the collection.

I have just had a very interesting e-mail from Bill Shea, who actually bought this collection way back when.
    A part of Bill's e-mail is below:-
    (and posted with Bill's permission),

"Actually, I GOT EVERY SINGLE PIECE you see on that board and in front of it!
    Unfortunately many of the rarer items were very early reproductions. This represented
    the proverbial tip of the iceberg of one of the largest collections I ever handled. The fellow
    who put this collection together (and is pictured in 1st photo has) was a highly decorated
    (by Queen Wilhelmina). member of the Dutch resistance. He was badly wounded but survived the
    war and drove home (to the Hague) in a commandeered Mercedes with the back seat and trunk loaded
    with food, supplies and incredible souvenirs. This fuelled his life long interest.
    He was unable to work full time but travelled extensively after the war accumulating an incredible
    collection including a General's uniform(see attached of me wearing it in 1980) and tons of other headgear, gorgets and daggers etc....

I met his brother-in-law who was born in the Hague and was 10 years old on May 10th when the German
    paras assaulted The Hague. Another total story in itself.
    I met him in 1970. He was a renowned pathologist and he stopped by my booth at a flea market. He didn't say
    much but took one of my cards. He contacted me 10 years later(can you believe it?) and had me come to his home
    in a near-by town. He had a pile of stuff laid out on the table and my eyes about popped out of my head.
    He told me about his brother-in-law and about a jillion stories he had been told about his war time escapades".
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The halcyon collecting years, a bit of nostalgia...  

?

Cool

I started collecting WW 2 German "stuff", at about 16 in 1953, with the purchase of an all matching K98k (including sling, sight hood, clg rod u. bayonet) to use as a deer rifle. Got it from an uncle who had brought it back. I still have it.
    This rifle got me interested in German weapons and in looking for them I kept finding medals and all sorts of other stuff. I bought everything I had the $$ for.
    This is the way I displayed my collection in 1957/58 - pinned onto a bath towel and the towel nailed to the wall in my bedroom.
    My first Knights Cross, cased, cost me $50 in about 1959.
    Sarge
    The halcyon collecting years, a bit of nostalgia...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast