Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Headgear from Tirpitz

Article about: Headgear from Tirpitz. This was found on the wreck of the Tirpitz a year ago.

Default Re: Headgear from Tirpitz

Just a few quick points....the clothing that was recovered intact on the Titanic wreck site generally came from inside sealed Leather suitcases. Leather contains Tannic acid which keep the sea life and bacteria at bay much better than sea water exposure-hence the boots shown on the seafloor. It's been mentioned that there are a huge number of Pairs of shoes lying scattered about the seafloor around the Titanic and that these shoes are the only evidence at all that there had been a body there-nothing else being even a trace of.
    Another point, is that the Tirpitz wreck site is been in plain view from the shore in extremely shallow water with a good portion of it well above water and able to be crawled over and explored thoroughly by any curiosity seeker that wishes. Perhaps this hat was locked inside of a sealed compartment that was never exposed to the elements or sea water-I have no idea, but the Titanic, it should be remembered, is at the tremendous depth of 13,000 feet as opposed to the Tirpitz being in scuba depth and open air, and so the 2 wreck sites relics are really not all that comparable.
    Having said that, I still have great doubts as to the story told with this particular cap. It makes no difference if the tally and the insignia are replaced-the cloth still should be an almost impossibility to survive under conditions like this. The ribbons on the EK's shown are pretty much what it Should look like. And, yes, I do also find it highly offensive and reprehensible that the Norway government has seen fit to allow every Tom, Dick and Harry to climb on it and play Pick-Up-Sticks with the bones of the 800 dead sailors who are or were still aboard it. Why were these men never recovered? Certainly, many of them would have been easy enough to do so. Why are there piles of bones being found on Shore? Did they swim there? Or did ghouls bring them there from the wreck out of some perverted sense of fun? It's simply disgusting...
    a brilliant judgement sir, my feelings were very similar.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Headgear from Tirpitz
    P
    Many

There is no remaining part of the Tirpitz in the open air per se, a platform/dock that was built to aid the dismantling of the ship is visible at low tide, and is often thought by people to be part of the wreck, but it is not. Here's a link to the way the site looks today, it's interesting to note the impact craters left by the Tallboy bombs in and around the water and shoreline near the wreck.

Tirpitz - Håkøy, near Tromsø, Norway - Then & Now

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Playing devils advocate, here's some interesting photo's of what can still be found around the area of the wreck. Note the shoes, boot and even pages from a book, rather interesting when considering everything we have spoken of here.

Tirpitz - a set on Flickr
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by big ned View Post
    Over 800 men went down with the Tirpitz, I know that bones are still found today often scattered on the beach where they have been left by members of the diving public who have been searching the wreck area for souvenirs. This is unfortunately allowed by the Norwegian government, just imagine that being allowed here or in the States.....
    Ned I was under the impression that Norwegian laws re-diving and wreck recovery on WW2 'stuff' were quite strict.

Quote by diver99 View Post
    Ned I was under the impression that Norwegian laws re-diving and wreck recovery on WW2 'stuff' were quite strict.
    Not, apparently, according to this....

Axis History Forum • View topic - Tirpitz War dead following Slavage.

That stuff would be worth a few bob.
    Perhaps as the wreck is so close to shore, it is a classic to be picked over.

Before the u534 was cut up I went on a guided tour inside, it was quite interesting. The small museum had many aretafcts from the wreck in cases.
    I did take some pics, but in my office, god knows where. I will search.

?

That link makes for interesting reading Ned, thanks for posting it. Unfortunately, the last entry in it is in 2007, so it appears to have died, (NO pun intended) and, to me at least, seems to leave more questions than answers!

I appreciate that, even now, the German invasion of Norway is still "raw", but I sincerely hope that any dead sailors found during the cutting up of the Tirpitz, and since, have received an appropriate interment.

Regards etc
    Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

Quote by diver99 View Post
    Before the u534 was cut up I went on a guided tour inside, it was quite interesting. The small museum had many aretafcts from the wreck in cases.
    I did take some pics, but in my office, god knows where. I will search.
    If you can't find 'em, take a looky at the link in post #17, it shows some of the artifacts from within the boat.

Over 800 men went down with the Tirpitz, I know that bones are still found today often scattered on the beach where they have been left by members of the diving public who have been searching the wreck area for souvenirs. This is unfortunately allowed by the Norwegian government, just imagine that being allowed here or in the States.....
    Unfortunately Ned, British government couldnt give a toss. See Hogue, Agincourt, Crecy in the North Sea being 'scavenged' by Dutch divers. Repulse & Prince of Wales have been fair game for many years, even ships propellers have been taken. And the Government actively involved with Odyssey Marine to raise gold from HMS Victory (1744). Again, as somebody else has mentioned, don't rock the boat - literally

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast