Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Heer 2nd Pattern Pith Helmet

Article about: Gent, Happy to report that I have just acquired my 1st German Pith Helmet. I've always wanted but never made the consciencous decison to go for it. (I must give out a big thank you to my goo

Default Re: Heer 2nd Pattern Pith Helmet

Gentlemen,

Thank you for your replies. Rob, count it a blessing you have a Wife that understands you and wanted you to be happy with buying the helmet. I have waited a long time for this one. Especially, after seeing many things I wanted to buy and was unable to. I'm actually more grateful now and appreciate all that I've purchased more as I get older. I still keep my childhood alive and get excited when I'm on the hunt for more!

Regards,

Joel

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Heer 2nd Pattern Pith Helmet
    P
    Many

rob1
    ?

Hello Joel, and the rest of you, thanks for the replies. I now have my own 11 year old son and what do you know, we are holidaying in a cottage by Omaha beach in 3 weeks time. He has just had his interest in WW2 fired up, so I am looking forward to introducing him to Point Du Hoc, the Maisy Battery and all the other great things to see along the coast. The history is being passed on again.

Regards to all, Rob.

Rob,
    There will be no doubt your 11 year old will be excited to see the Norman coast. I know, for I was two years ago! You are passing the torch to the next generation to never forget the sacrificies that were made. Please post pictures! Here is one I took of the entrance to Utah Beach to get the ball rolling for you!

Regards,

Joel
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Heer 2nd Pattern Pith Helmet  

There needs to be some clarification or further discussion.

I know of no images that exist illustrating members of the DAK utilizing 2nd pattern piths in the Norther African desert. The 2nd pattern pith, referred to as the "tropical pattern" pith helmet, obviously has a green felt covering which tends to contrast heavily against the light colored environs and sands of the Egyptian and Tunisian deserts.

I do however agree that it's likely the 2nd patterns were utilized in the Crete and Malta campaigns...perhaps So. Italy as well (not really sure though).

I can post images of both examples as I have both, each in near mint, unissued condition. There are significant other differences in appearance of the 1st vs. 2nd pattern piths beside color.

If someone has any images of any members of the DAK, or any members of the German Army for that matter, wearing the 2nd pattern during occupation of North Africa, I would be very interested in seeing them. Likewise, if someone has any direct reference to the 2nd pattern being used in this theatre of operations, I also would be very interested in reading it.

Tom
    Last edited by Swordfish; 06-27-2010 at 09:58 PM.

?

Rob, make sure you take him to Merville battery, there is a terrific display of items and a great re-enactment ot the attack that took place, the noise is deafening but it really is realistic, also the grand bunker is a must

Quote by Swordfish View Post
    There needs to be some clarification or further discussion.

I know of no images that exist illustrating members of the DAK utilizing 2nd pattern piths in the Norther African desert. The 2nd pattern pith, referred to as the "tropical pattern" pith helmet, obviously has a green felt covering which tends to contrast heavily against the light colored environs and sands of the Egyptian and Tunisian deserts.

I do however agree that it's likely the 2nd patterns were utilized in the Crete and Malta campaigns...perhaps So. Italy as well (not really sure though).

I can post images of both examples as I have both, each in near mint, unissued condition. There are significant other differences in appearance of the 1st vs. 2nd pattern piths beside color.

If someone has any images of any members of the DAK, or any members of the German Army for that matter, wearing the 2nd pattern during occupation of North Africa, I would be very interested in seeing them. Likewise, if someone has any direct reference to the 2nd pattern being used in this theatre of operations, I also would be very interested in reading it.

Tom

It is generally accepted that 2nd pattern piths were not used in Afrika, even though 1941 dated examples exist. Some first pattern piths were of a green colour, for both heer and luftwaffe (and blue for luft) and these tend to have 1940/41 dates and you see these in the desert, but as piths were not intended for combat use, the colour did not need to be cammo, though it would not have been a bad thing if they were.

Here are some pics of a mates green luft pith.

Jerry
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Heer 2nd Pattern Pith Helmet   Heer 2nd Pattern Pith Helmet  

Very nice, appears unissued!

As I said, i've never seen any period images of any members of the DAK or otherwise in that theater of operation using the 2nd pattern. I've never seen a 2nd pattern dated anytime before 1942.........the earliest being a '42 by JHS if not mistaken.

I'm not saying this is neccessarily exclusive... if someone has any data including images, regulations, etc., i'd love to see it.

Attached is a 1st pattern, unissued I bought from a peer.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Heer 2nd Pattern Pith Helmet   Heer 2nd Pattern Pith Helmet  

Quote by Swordfish View Post
    As I said, i've never seen any period images of any members of the DAK or otherwise in that theater of operation using the 2nd pattern. I've never seen a 2nd pattern dated anytime before 1942.........the earliest being a '42 by JHS if not mistaken.

I'm not saying this is neccessarily exclusive... if someone has any data including images, regulations, etc., i'd love to see it.

Attached is a 1st pattern, unissued I bought from a peer.
    Are first pattern being reproduce.

Everything 3rd reich is reproduced! Even tinnies if you can beleive that!!!! but this is a nice one.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast