Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The history behind the cap

Article about: Very nice cap Tony and the history behind it is excellent...! Cheers, Pat

Default The history behind the cap

Hi

Here’s a recent acquisition of mine. It’s a panzer, other ranks private purchase and for once comes with some information of the previous owner that allows us to make further enquiries and hopefully bring a piece of history to life.

Those of you who frequent the WAF may already be familiar with this cap as the fellow collector from whom I acquired the piece had posted it there. I have done further research since then and a few more photos have also come to light to help us build a more detailed picture of the man who owned it and the sad story that goes with his death.

So, may I introduce, Herr Albin Hamann, 3rd kompanie Pz Regt 11. The cap originally came from the family who were clearing out the house of their grandma. The family story was that Albin was their grandma’s first husband and he was killed during the war. Sadly he never knew that his wife was pregnant and she re-married after the war so the family have always viewed her second husband as father/grandfather.

Several photos and other pieces of his belongings were found that have helped piece together a more detailed picture of his service.

Albin Hamann was born 22.12.1914 and joined the army in the mid 1930's. His original unit was panzer regt 1 and the above photo shows him in that uniform as an obergefrieter.

Upon the time of his death at Werchne Kumskin on the 15/12/1942 he was serving with pz regt 11 as part of the drive to relieve Stalingrad as an oberfeldwebel.

There is no supporting paperwork regarding his transfer or service so I have had to pick up on details in the photos, info from books on the units involved and make certain assumptions.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement The history behind the cap
    P
    Many

Default Re: The history behind the cap

The picture below shows him walking in a town with possibly his wife and he wears the Sudaten medal bar and the 4 yrs service medal bar along with the actual cap in my possession. As he joined in 1937 then this photo has to be from 1941 onwards, possibly before deployment to Russia . The Sudaten medal bar tells us he was still in pz regt 1 in 1938 so was not part of the original cadre for the raising of pz regt 11 in Oct 1937 as they did not take part in the Czech campaign.

Also the original cadre from panzer regt 11 came from companies 3 and 6 of the first battalion 1st panzer regt and Hamann was in the 7th komp.

The picture below of an "award" found with the cap explains that he was transferred to regt 11 at a later date as I think this is a leaving presentation from his comrades. Note they got his name wrong !

Thus we know he was in 7/regt 1 originally and his name tags for his clothing, that also came with the find, show he served in 3/komp pz regt 11.

Now the cap is marked to a distributor Ed. Freundlich of Paderborn , and this is significant as the garrison town of PZ regt 11 was Paderborn . We can therefore conclude that he bought the cap after his transfer to the regt. The cap also has a leather peak and by the thump imprint it appears he was left handed.

The final piece of the jigsaw is a presentation map of the pz regt campaign in Russia during 1941/42 and helps us conclude he served with that unit during the whole campaign until his death in 1942.

Thanks for taking the time to read the thread.

Next post will be of the restoration of the cap.

Cheers

tony

Very nice essay with pleasing material.

?

Wonderful Tony, if only everyone could present their finds so well!

The award is intriguing, never seen anything quite like that before.

incredible cap and story !

This nature of post raises the level and underscores the kinds of things that distinguish this site from others.

The presentation kitsch with the desk ornament was quite typical. I have a lead PzKw 1 of similar purpose on a marble base.

What can I say--terrific work, Tony, and a very interesting read, especially to an armchair historian like me....
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

What restoration was needed? If the above photo is an "after photo", you certainly did a great job bringing it back. One thing, though-if the photo of him walking was taken around 1941, that would make him about 27 years old? The lady walking with him looks to be possibly his mother? The noses are almost identical and other facial features look similar too, so I think it possibly could be.
    I think the award is a treasure too. Was touching of his beloved Kameraden to care enough to spell his name wrong! lol I guess it doesn't matter which side you're one-the Army is still the Army!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Excellent history and cap Tony thanks for posting !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

I can only agree with given comments!
    cheers
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris