Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Hitler Visor #4 (or 6)

Article about: by stonemint Arran pointed out that the CGM visor is not the Swearingen visor (which I thought it was). While I have been aware of the Swearingen visor for a long time, I was only tangential

In a volume of the intermediate past, there is the assertion of Kempka that he had various sets of uniforms at the ready in various locales when the man sweated up such an item and needed to appear fresh and refined. I have no idea whether this is true and whether such things endured after 1945.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Hitler Visor #4 (or 6)
    P
    Many

The Wim Saris book has a sound analysis of Hitler caps, and it repays reading in the face of this kind of thing.

Does CGM say where the cap comes found directly?
    chris

I am not familiar with the Hitler cap as from post 1, which is not the same cap as for post 2.
    The one from post 2 (with the darker spot upon the cap band) was, as far as I know, in the
    possession of George Petersen at the time of writing volume 3 for the headgear-series. The
    book was published in 1998. On page 13 the cap is shown in b/w; on pages 534-535 it is
    shown in color.

On page 15 there is a b/w photograph of a later Hitler cap, attributed to Angolia. In color
    they are shown here (not quite well photographed). This cap is in the hands of a German
    collector, anyway some years ago when he did send me the photographs for eventual use.
    Note the visor has the same cracks as shown with the b/w photograph in my book.

Hitler Visor #4 (or 6) Hitler Visor #4 (or 6)

Where Petersen and Angolia got their cap is not known to me. Neither if the earlier cap still
    is in the possession of GP. If the cap is still in the hands of the German, I do not know. The
    photographs I may have gotten from him at least 6-7 years ago!

?

This is what I thought:
    Wolfe/ Gottlieb's one:
    It came out from Lt. Ben Leiber who entered the Brown house.( see image)
    Collector Ben Swearingen met with Leiber to make note of this collection in his letter 8/60.
    Later stolen and ends up in dealer Helika who then sold to Mohawk Arm. Lawsuit between Leiber and Mohawk Arm ( lost but managed to purchased from Leiber)
    Swearingen wrote another report letter to Mohhawk Arm on 8/69 in which item b describes this visor( forget item c)( see image)
    Mohawk Arm sold to Wolfe.

Sydney Leigh's one:
    Navigator Leighs also entered Brown House and obtained another AH visor( with distinctive marking on the cap band) and uniforms. He dressed up in it( see image)
    Leighs sold to Swearingen at around 80 and Swearingen displayed in the show.(see image)
    Petersen is credited to have this Leigh's visor shown in Angolia's uniform book.( see images)
    Present location unknown.Hitler Visor #4 (or 6)Hitler Visor #4 (or 6)Hitler Visor #4 (or 6)Hitler Visor #4 (or 6)Hitler Visor #4 (or 6)

?

Hitler Visor #4 (or 6)Hitler Visor #4 (or 6)more images

We thank Mr. Saris for his intervention and additions.

I believe said objects were not found in the Braunes Haus, which was already damaged in the bombing, but Hitler's famous apartment on the Prinz Regentenstrasse.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Hitler Visor #4 (or 6)  

Hitler Visor #4 (or 6)Wohnung.....Prinz Regentenplatz 16.

Wim, thanks for the addtl color pix and info.
    I must say I like Arrans idea of identifying these hats by the vet that brought them back--ie, the Leigh visor or the Lieber visor.
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast