Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Hitler Visor #4 (or 6)

Article about: by stonemint Arran pointed out that the CGM visor is not the Swearingen visor (which I thought it was). While I have been aware of the Swearingen visor for a long time, I was only tangential

Default Hitler Visor #4 (or 6)

Arran pointed out that the CGM visor is not the Swearingen visor (which I thought it was).
    While I have been aware of the Swearingen visor for a long time, I was only tangentially aware of this one, as it apparently resided with W-H for a long time (and always assumed it was the Swearingen visor).

Gottlieb is apparently claiming this came from Swearingen, too, but Swearingen only mentions one visor in his account, and the one pictured with him is the one I was familiar with.

In any event, I am interested in hearing the history of this "3rd" AH visor (at least per CG), which is visor #4 .

Lets keep it clean of personal attacks on the dealer, please, and keep the discussion in a manner befitting this forum.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Hitler Visor #4 (or 6)   Hitler Visor #4 (or 6)  

Hitler Visor #4 (or 6)   Hitler Visor #4 (or 6)  

Hitler Visor #4 (or 6)  
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Hitler Visor #4 (or 6)
    P
    Many

Here is Ben Swearingen with his visor at a MAX show in the mid-80s.
    (Thanks to Arran for the large pic of the hat).
    As you can all see, it is not the same hat Gottlieb is selling.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Hitler Visor #4 (or 6)   Hitler Visor #4 (or 6)  

Hitler Visor #4 (or 6)  

I went back and re-read the documentation on the CGM set.
    While Swearingen refers to only one visor in the "War Booty" volume, he refers to 2 "vizors" in his letter from 1969.
    I presume he purchased one, and Zyla obtained the other.
    So where is the Swearingen visor today?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Hitler Visor #4 (or 6)  

?

Does it have a makers label buddy ?

Steve--yes, it does, it is a Holters and Arran has informed me that there is a pic of the interior in HHG Vol 3 (which I do not have access to right now).

?

The surface of the visor itself looks to have wrinkled over time.

Here is Hitler's visor #5--once owned by Angolia. Anyone have better pics of it or know where it is?
    (the other pic is from a UK auction house in the 80s--it might be visor #6, or the same one attributed to Angolia)

?

I think these two are likely the same visor, and I would love to know where it is now and see better pics. I'd also love to see pics of the one that surfaced in Germany not too long ago!
    Last edited by Arran; 02-25-2014 at 08:44 PM.

?

Just from an aesthetic standpoint, I don't care for the cap sans cockade; looks as if it's unfinished. Not that I have a remote hope of ever owning it!

BobS

Hitler began to wear the cap with the cockade at the moment that v. Blomberg was purged and the Fuehrer became the supreme commander of the armed forces. He wore the cap with the blank band, then, from the advent of the peaked cap until 1938. This fact is an easy way to date images of him.

I am happy to see such clear images of the cap in question, since I own a Holters army cap and have owned others.

On the ding bat site there is also an inquiry into a 1973 auction offering in Bavaria of a Hitler cap, which was likely a stinker. I recall it very well.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast