Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hurra die Gams! 5th Mountain Division visor cap.

Article about: Feeling like a mountain goat today. Die Gams was the nickname for the 5. Gebirgsjaeger Division. Some would say a Gams is a Chamois, or a particular large breed of mountain goat. Hurra! The

TWS
    ?

Default Hurra die Gams! 5th Mountain Division visor cap.

Feeling like a mountain goat today.

Die Gams was the nickname for the 5. Gebirgsjaeger Division. Some would say a Gams is a Chamois, or a particular large breed of mountain goat.

Hurra!
    Hurra die Gams!  5th Mountain Division visor cap.Hurra die Gams!  5th Mountain Division visor cap.Hurra die Gams!  5th Mountain Division visor cap.

The 5.Gebirgsjäger-Division was intially formed in the Autumn of 1940 with the 100.Gebirgs-Regiment detached from the 1. Gebirgsjäger -Division.

In March 1941, the division moved into the Balkans and took part in the invasion of Greece. The unit was then selected to be airlifted onto Crete to reinforce the Fallschirmjäger during the airborne assault of the island. During this operation the Gebirgstruppen distinguished themselves and were able to break the deadlock between the paratroopers and the Commonwealth defenders. The Division remained on occupation duties before being returned to Germany for a rest and refit.

During March 1942 the division was relocated to positions south-west of Leningrad in the northern part of the Eastern Front. The division was used to plug the line where ever there was a weakness. It served in until early 1943 when it was posted to Italy. On 15 March 1943 Schnelle-Abteilung 95 was attached to the division and on 23 December 1943 it was split into Aufklärungs-Abteilung 95 and Panzerjäger-Abteilung 95. While in Italy the 5th Div was positioned on the "Gustav Line" near Monte Cassino and involved in holding the line in three bitter campaigns of the Allies to seize the high ground barring the route North. The division was involved in the battles for Rome and the rearguard actions in the retreat to the Gothic Line. The division was then transferred north to the border between France and Italy in late 1944. The division was captured by the Americans near Turin on 29 April 1945.

Hurra die Gams!  5th Mountain Division visor cap.Hurra die Gams!  5th Mountain Division visor cap.Hurra die Gams!  5th Mountain Division visor cap.

Julius Ringel, the division commander.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Hurra die Gams!  5th Mountain Division visor cap.
    P
    Many

Todd, great hat, but also a great history lesson--thanks for posting!
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

MAP
    ?

Very nice Todd.

As said elsewhere. Like that traditions badge as well (if that is the proper term)
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

BTW, knew it as a Chamois, but never a Gams (& I gotta give the 5th GJ credit, it was an excellent selection as a traditions badge).
    Some of the most buttery soft leather comes from these guys:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Hurra die Gams!  5th Mountain Division visor cap.  
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

gams is only the word in the hunters speach
    the regular word in german is gemse or gämse
    regards

Hello,
    Thanks for showing this nice cap...thanks also for taking the time to educate our members...
    Chamois is the name in the Alps, where i live, close to the Pyrénées, it's called an Izard
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

I love your goat
    Very nice looking visor, and thank you for the lesson.
    This shows true study and interest into a item in your collection
    Well done.

Quote by halle25558 View Post
    gams is only the word in the hunters speach
    the regular word in german is gemse or gämse
    Just for the sake of completeness: Gams is also how the animal is universally called in Bavarian and Austrian dialects (not just by huntsmen).

Quote by stonemint View Post
    ...and let's not forget the Gamsbart:

Gamsbart - Wikipedia

TWS
    ?

Thanks to everybody chiming in and contributing knowledge and making my thread far better than I ever could. You guys are great!
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

TWS
    ?

Quote by stonemint View Post
    BTW, knew it as a Chamois, but never a Gams (& I gotta give the 5th GJ credit, it was an excellent selection as a traditions badge).
    Thanks Chris! As my other hobby is being a "car guy" I can tell you that a Chamois ("shammy") is widely known in those circles as a piece of soft absorbent leather used to carefully dry your car after washing. LOL
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast