Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I need help Identifying this GebirgsJager Hat.

Article about: by Cody Countryman Wow! Thanks! I really Apreaciate the help Walkwolf! Sorry about posting this in a thread that was ment for 1933-45, but i was just curious because my moms friend said it w

Default I need help Identifying this GebirgsJager Hat.

Hey, Do you guys think you could help me identify this hat? I've never seen a German Military hat like this ( Because all of the ones ive seen are Wool) and this one is not made of Wool. Theirs a Edelweiss Badge on the left side of the Hat. I know for sure that its real in some way or anonother because it was my Great Grandpa's Hat, and he fought as a Geibersjeiger in WWII. Their is also a stain that is splattered all over the hat, its a Red-ish Brownish color, So made its a Blood stain or Something?
    But im not sure if this is just a Civilian hat and he just put the Edelweiss on it , or if it is a Military hat?
    I need help Identifying this GebirgsJager Hat.I need help Identifying this GebirgsJager Hat.I need help Identifying this GebirgsJager Hat.I need help Identifying this GebirgsJager Hat.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement I need help Identifying this GebirgsJager Hat.
    P
    Many

Default re: I need help Identifying this GebirgsJager Hat.

It looks to be just that - a commercially made, post-war cap with an edelweiss badge attached.

If it really was your Great Granddads, I think it is very cool,
    and you should never sell it..............!
    Regards,

Steve.

Yeah that what I was thinking too, Because on the tag in side the hat it says "Aschaffenburg" which was the town he lived in and then it says " Hute-Mutzen" which im thinkin that might be the Store were it was made. Cuz im pretty positive that its not any military marking on any sort. but thanks for the input! I apreciate it. Ha I just found this hat at my Grandpa's house in the Attic in Aschaffenburg.
    So I thought that was a lucky find when i saw the Edelwiess on it! And yeah I'll definently never sell it, it has too much centimental valvue to sell. My Uncle also found a hitler youth badge with a swatsitka on it and it said "For Acheivment in the Hitler Youth" and a photo Album of my Grandpa in the War and he just Gave it to me!

You should always keep everything together, and pass them down to your children or relatives.
    They are family heirlooms which you should treasure always !
    Regards,

Steve.

I Definently will! They mean alot since I Actually know some story behind the items, So I plan passing down the stories with the Items, So are you very good at Identifing German Military Gear, Because I got this WWII German Passport and a German Medal, but I don;t know what the Medal would be for?

Quote by Cody Countryman View Post
    I Definently will! They mean alot since I Actually know some story behind the items, So I plan passing down the stories with the Items, So are you very good at Identifing German Military Gear, Because I got this WWII German Passport and a German Medal, but I don;t know what the Medal would be for?
    Well, let's have a look.............!
    Regards,

Steve.

I need help Identifying this GebirgsJager Hat.
    I got this from my Mom's Best friend. And I guess it was her Husbands Dad's Stuff and she just gave it to me because she knew i liked collecting this kinda stuff. its a German Army Passport and it has a bunch of Nazi stampings and tons of writting in it. But What confused me was the Medal, Because she said that her husbands Grandpa fought in WWII in the German Army but the on the Medal it say's 1914-1918 which was during WWI?
    And theirs a Golden color crossed swords on the right side of the Ribbon. So i was wondering what you might think of it?
    And sorry the picture is bad quality, I have to use my Cell Phone to take picture sbecause i accidently broke my good camera while i was paintballing haha

I need help Identifying this GebirgsJager Hat.I need help Identifying this GebirgsJager Hat.\
    Here some more close up pics, hope it helps!

The medal is known as the Hindenburg Cross, and are very common.

They came in three classes:
    Bronze with swords for combatants,
    Bronze without swords for non combatants,
    and blackened iron (or blackened bronze) without swords, for relatives of the fallen.

These were one of the last official awards President Hindenburg approved before his death
    in 1934. Millions were awarded to those who fought and served in WWI,
    but they had to apply for them.

There is a small WWI 'ribbon bar' representing the 'Iron Cross 2nd Class' there as well.
    The crossed swords affixed also indicate the wearer was a combatant.
    ( It is shown upside-down, if it is attached to the medal ribbon ! )

The Wehrpass is a fairly common document that will have a photo and details of the soldier
    and his war service inside. These can be quite valuable depending on regiment, etc.

All nice pieces...........Although still not too expensive, I got my very first medal
    - a 'Hindy Cross' - in the mid 1970's in a trade for 12 dollars worth !
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 08-31-2010 at 04:28 AM.
    Regards,

Steve.

Wow! Thanks! I really Apreaciate the help Walkwolf! Sorry about posting this in a thread that was ment for 1933-45, but i was just curious because my moms friend said it was WWII, but it confused me cuz the dates on it were not WWII. And ive tried researching it but did;nt find anything. Do you think this Cross is worth alot?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast