Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

I Need Some Information on the Africa Corps Pith Helmets

Article about: I am about to buy a pith helmet but before I invest the money I was hoping I could get some input from the experts on the history of these helmets, and the value to collectors. Were they use

?

Default I Need Some Information on the Africa Corps Pith Helmets

I am about to buy a pith helmet but before I invest the money I was hoping I could get some input from the experts on the history of these helmets, and the value to collectors. Were they used much? What are the red flags to make you NOT buy one? Any help would be appreciated. I am attaching a pic of the one I am looking at.I Need Some Information on the Africa Corps Pith Helmets

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement I Need Some Information on the Africa Corps Pith Helmets
    P
    Many

Default Re: I Need Some Information on the Africa Corps Pith Helmets

That is an original 2nd pattern tropenhelm for the Heer (army). Things on this type to look for are a MADE IN GERMANY stamp on the sweatband, which means it was found after the war and exported to the US. It is still an original, but was probably never used during the war. Also to look out for is that it still has its original shields.

The 2nd patterns are less desirable than the 1st pattern, which is made from panels of canvas material, rather than made from pressed felt, like the one shown above. The 2nd patterns were probably never used in N Africa, or at least no clear evidence has yet been found, though I think some must have been used, but probably not many.

Values depend on condition, with the example above worth $300 at most and probably nearer half that. 1st pattern Heer examples would probably start at $300, rising up to $800-1000 for a green canvas example. Luftwaffe examples are usually a bit more expensive and Km examples are the most expensive (except for the German manufactured blue canvas luftwaffe type). Various types from other nations were also used, including Dutch, S. African, French and Italian.

Regards,

Jerry
    Last edited by Jerry B; 05-23-2011 at 12:21 PM.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Thank you!

Hi

Agree with Jerry. The First (cloth) model is the one you want, these were used widely in Afrika as well as Russia, Italy, Greece, and southern France. The 2nd (Felt) models like the above photo were not popular and just a few were worn in the Sud Front and are not associated with the DAK. Most were just stored away and not use in the War. Ugly too (imo) when compared to the earlier cloth model. Value for a 2nd pattern felt one $125 -250. But a used cloth 1st model depending on condition range $125 - 350. unless its a sage green one or a LW or KM as Jerry mentions can get a little pricey up to $1000.

Heia Safari
    Tim