Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Identification of this officer's cap?

Article about: I recently received a number of German military items including pins, patches, a dagger, a large banner. Also included was what looks to be an officer's cap. I am looking for help identifyin

Default Identification of this officer's cap?

I recently received a number of German military items including pins, patches, a dagger, a large banner. Also included was what looks to be an officer's cap. I am looking for help identifying this cap (whether or not it's real, branch of the military, etc). Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Michael

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Identification of this officer's cap?
    P
    Many

Hi Michael,
    I have seen these style visor caps being described as Postal Official's hats. This one is missing a chinstrap and I am not sure about the insignia. Sorry I can't be of more help. Hopefully one of the hat guys can comment soon.

Quote by christek View Post
    Hi Michael,
    I have seen these style visor caps being described as Postal Official's hats. This one is missing a chinstrap and I am not sure about the insignia. Sorry I can't be of more help. Hopefully one of the hat guys can comment soon.
    It's a start Thank you for the information. I hope to hear more if anyone else has any details! I appreciate it!

?

Hello Michael,
    I'am afraid this is a postwar Isken cap - I don't know what for, postal caps would have orange piping and a velvet centerband (also the early post-war ones, later they were dark blue with dark blue piping). This seems to be a fantasy piece - somebody put Heer badges on a post-war cap to make it more attractive.

See here for their WWII logo:

Carl Isken Koeln trivia

and here is the post war logo (post # 1078):

Muetzenfabrik

EDIT:

Having read stonemint's post I take almost everything back - is this a velvet centerband? This would change a lot - in the first picture it looks like Besatztuch. At least the insignia don't fit.

Learnt a lesson again today, I thought "ISKO" was the post-war version of "C I" Carl Isken. Thanks Chris!
    Last edited by ErWeSa; 08-15-2019 at 07:47 PM.

Actually, it is a good prewar Isken EM/NCO for Bahnschutz.
    There were 3 types of insignia worn with this style hat: cockade and eagle, the 2nd type (stubby wings), and the final (3rd type).
    These hats were worn up thru 1940.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Identification of this officer's cap?   Identification of this officer's cap?  

“Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

Quote by stonemint View Post
    Actually, it is a good prewar Isken EM/NCO for Bahnschutz.
    There were 3 types of insignia worn with this style hat: cockade and eagle, the 2nd type (stubby wings), and the final (3rd type).
    These hats were worn up thru 1940.
    So to clarify, is my cap a legitimate cap in your opinion? If so, was it a postal official? I'd need to feel the band to be sure of the material.

The eagle doesn't look quite the same.

Quote by hanotsri View Post
    So to clarify, is my cap a legitimate cap in your opinion? If so, was it a postal official? I'd need to feel the band to be sure of the material.

The eagle doesn't look quite the same.
    Hat is original, but it is for Bahnschutz (Railway Protection Police). It has incorrect Heer insignia.
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

?

As stonemint stated you have the original corpus of a EM/NCO Bahnschutz peaked cap. It is not postal (would be orange piping) and the insignia are wrong (don't know if they are original as I don't know a thing about insignia, but they are for Wehrmacht, not for Bahnschutz, stonemint posted 3 Bahnschutz caps with the insignia which should be on them depending on the period they were worn - early, second type, final type of insignia).

EDIT:
    Again stonemint was quicker than me!

Quote by stonemint View Post
    Hat is original, but it is for Bahnschutz (Railway Protection Police). It has incorrect Heer insignia.
    Hmmm that's unfortunate that insignia is wrong. What's the general consensus on finding the real.insignia and replacing what's on it? It's so strange because I expect to see some sort of indication that this insignia was put on it, but I am not seeing it.

?

The insignia (eagle and wreath) had two to 3 splints - if they fit into the holes of the origninal insignia you won't see anything - there will be no extra holes/empty holes (this is what you should look for). Bahnschutz insignia are much harder to find and more expensive than Heer insignia as Bahnschutz caps are rarer, but it could be worth it, together with the chin strap (if there was one on it ((depending on the period when the cap was worn))- check for holes of the buttons or races of sewn on buttons).

Try some dealer's websites for examples and spare parts.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast