Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lovely Reichspost visor cap!

Article about: Hello and good sunday. Just wanted to share in my opinion a beautifull reichspost schaffner visor by Peter Küpper (Perkuro) theese non combat visors i feel are sometimes forgotten Wonders of

Default Lovely Reichspost visor cap!

Hello and good sunday.

Just wanted to share in my opinion a beautifull reichspost schaffner visor by Peter Küpper (Perkuro)
    theese non combat visors i feel are sometimes forgotten Wonders of the third Reich!
    And can still be picked up for reasonable prices...
    do love this one.. and maybe mr. Stonemint knows what the cocarde is called?
    never saw one like on this one...
    enjoy.

best regards,
    Lt. Col
    Ullergaard

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Lovely Reichspost visor cap!
    P
    Many

Colonel, terrific score--IMO, you get the most bang for your buck with Reichspost visors--doeskin bodies, velvet band, and orange piping goes the best with dark blue.

No special name for the cockade--it is just a Reichspost Kokarde.

Glad to see you have caught the "civil virus"!
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

What has the word Schaffner to do with this cap?
    Schaffner means conductor.
    Those bringing mail were known as Briefträger
    or Postbote.

In regulations the cockade is simply named as Reichskokarde
    (see image from regulation):

Last edited by Wilhelm Saris; 07-12-2018 at 08:53 AM.

Quote by Wilhelm Saris View Post
    What has the word Schaffner to do with this cap?
    Schaffner means conductor.
    Those bringing mail were known as Briefträger
    or Postbote.

In regulations the cockade is simply named as Reichskokarde
    (see image from regulation):

Thank you mr. Saris
    It had that title from where i got it.. and agree that i do not know why schaffner is incorperated into a reichspost person!
    Got it in Italy and of course he could have written a wrong title for it:-)

And thank you for the picture of the kokarde..
    Was that one i was looking for
    And that it had perhaps a induvidual name itself,
    Which you cleared up for me..

Thank you so much for your work and time.
    And for now on it is merely just a reichspost schirmmütze we behold:-)

Vielen Dank

Best regards,
    Lt. Col
    Ullergaard

Hello,

they had drivers and will have had drivers for the busses.

Now I am checking the one or the other regulation and some ranks indeed included the word Schaffner
    (sorry did not know out-of-heart): Hilfspostschaffner, Postschaffner. Quite lower grades which is
    postition lower and higher then Postbote. A Postschaffner had pay-grade A 10b. These names were
    included in "Form und Beschaffenheit der Dienstkleidung"" and as published for example in the
    Amtsblatt des Reichspostministeriums from 1939.

But all did wear the visored cap as shown. The indication was to be found at the collar-patch indication.

Quote by Wilhelm Saris View Post
    Hello,

they had drivers and will have had drivers for the busses.

Now I am checking the one or the other regulation and some ranks indeed included the word Schaffner
    (sorry did not know out-of-heart): Hilfspostschaffner, Postschaffner. Quite lower grades which is
    postition lower and higher then Postbote. A Postschaffner had pay-grade A 10b.
    But all did wear the visored cap as shown. The indication was to be found at the collar-patch indication.
    Excellent work!

The ranks of Hilfspostschaffner, Postschaffner and Oberpostschaffner were indeed used for the lowest-ranking officials in the einfacher Dienst by both the Reichspost and later the Bundespost.

But of course, the cap is not specific to those ranks, so it can not be called a Schaffner cap as such.

Although the term Schaffner is commonly associated with train conductors, this is not the original meaning of the word. It originally referred to certain administrators/housekeepers of towns, monasteries and estates and eventually became a "rank"/job title for various low-ranking officials.

Another random example that comes to mind are municipal cemetery workers who are designated Friedhofschaffner.

Quote by Ullergaard View Post
    Excellent work!
    See what HPL2008 has to say. The title used with the thread is anyway incorrrect.

The cap-form you show is phrased as Wintermütze. There was also the same one
    phrased as Sommermütze. It is the material which makes the difference.

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    Well, actually the ranks of Hilfspostschaffner, Postschaffner and Oberpostschaffner were used for the lowest-ranking officials in the einfacher Dienstby the Reichspost and later the Bundespost.

But of course, the cap is not specific to those ranks, so it can not be called a Schaffner cap as such.

The term is commonly associated with train conductors, but that's not the original meaning of the word.

In fact, it's used for other kinds of low-ranking officials as well, for example municipal cemetery workers who are designated Friedhofschaffner.
    Thank you both for your help and knowlegde..
    Fantastic to have members who help in the way you do.
    It is always a pleasure to have more insight into a item
    In your collection.
    And to learn is the key.
    Thank you.
    Best regards,
    Lt. Col
    Ullergaard

There is a pic of a driver in this thread, wearing the distinctive collar tab insignia:

DRP: Reichspost Soft Headgear in Period Photos
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast