Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Luftwaffe Officers schirmutze : Erel Privat

Article about: Anyone know where the description "bullion" came from? Certainly not from the original German product lists.

Default Re: Luftwaffe Officers schirmutze : Erel Privat

Quote by locloc08 View Post
    Thank you for this. Am I correct in characterizing it as an adaption of elements from a "high" culture to a more "common" one? Some readings on line seem to suggest this?

I'm not sure to whom you were referring about the diatribes, but that was certainly not my intention if it was me! My comment about being a dingbat was absolutely self-deprecating. I did not mean to imply that others were being obtuse and I apologize if it came off that way.
    Dear colleague, I did not mean you at all. On other websites certain pieces of SS Kitsch are described as cultural objects, and on neo Nazi sites these things are assigned with political and cultural meaning so as to discriminate against those the Nazi deemed inferior and the like. You do not have to be self deprecating. German is a difficult language. Your posts are always first rate and constructive. I am sorry if my tone was abrupt. This is why sitting around a table would be a lot more productive than these computer screens. Those of us who speak German should always translate for those who don't. Stirndrueckfrei durch Gummipolster, i.e. pressure free forehead through rubber pad is inherently ridiculous at some level, when you think of the suffering and misfortune that the SS worked on a lot of innocent people. It was in this sense of coy and maybe too snotty irony that I had meant it. I am also proud to own a cap with this motto in it, which is also Kitsch. I am interested in Kitsch. A lot of what we concerns ourselves here is Kitsch. It is also material culture of the past, but I would not describe it as high culture. It is important, but it is not really a Kulturgut in the conventional sense. Sorry for my barking. I bark a lot.

Also, I think a sense of humor is necessary with these things, which my adoptive family in Germany (who wore these things and lived with the consequences) thought to be junk and absurd that anyone would care about it. I mean, I care about it to a fault, but on these websites the turbo charging of the fetish piece goes way beyond the limits of sanity, don't you sometimes think?

Luftwaffe Officers schirmutze : Erel PrivatLuftwaffe Officers schirmutze : Erel PrivatLuftwaffe Officers schirmutze : Erel PrivatLuftwaffe Officers schirmutze : Erel PrivatLuftwaffe Officers schirmutze : Erel PrivatLuftwaffe Officers schirmutze : Erel Privat

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftwaffe Officers schirmutze : Erel Privat
    P
    Many

If we went here and talked about all of this over coffee and such, it would be better.Luftwaffe Officers schirmutze : Erel PrivatLuftwaffe Officers schirmutze : Erel PrivatLuftwaffe Officers schirmutze : Erel PrivatLuftwaffe Officers schirmutze : Erel Privat

Ah, d'oh. Then excuse my misunderstanding. And you are right, the computer screens have their limits. The written word does things the spoken word can't and vice versa. Obviously the former is so important for understanding all of this, yet it still caused the glitch in understanding. Language and understanding are both gloriously imperfect things, for sure. The Gummipolster thing cracks me up, and your commentary on it is funny and insightful as it always is. (I recall a similar comment you made about cap vents aiding the flow of hot air during moments of Nazi demagoguery).

These are comments/insights that would be enjoyed even more in person for sure, say in that nice cafe. I picture you as someone with masterful comedic deadpan and timing!

[QUOTE=locloc08;219603]Ah, d'oh. Then excuse my misunderstanding. And you are right, the computer screens have their limits. The written word does things the spoken word can't and vice versa. Obviously the former is so important for understanding all of this, yet it still caused the glitch in understanding. Language and understanding are both gloriously imperfect things, for sure. The Gummipolster thing cracks me up, and your commentary on it is funny and insightful as it always is. (I recall a similar comment you made about cap vents aiding the flow of hot air during moments of Nazi demagoguery).

Did I say that about the little holes? With so many posts that repeat themselves and the burden of upholding my reputation counter, my mind wanders.
    Thanks for yours. I give some thought to my words in the written and even in the digital form, since this all gets enshrined in Google and what not, but there is always the possibility of error and mis interpretation. The word culture nowadays especially causes great confusion among some, but less so with me, because I have spent a long time in advanced study of culture in a nation where the word "culture" in its various meanings has enormous importance. Nazi regalia formed its own kind of material culture, some of it more elevated than not, but which, in the end, did a lot to destroy Germany's claim to culture in the absolute sense by the exaltation of nation and race at the expense of human rights and values. In the process, they created some very compelling visual experiences and symbols of secular religion and of phenomena in our world in which we make ourselves the center of the universe, especially with our political creations, as flawed as they are. These symbols were adapted from other high culture and industrialized civilization in a manner that still is fascinating, but also quite troubling when one realizes how much of our own culture or popular culture and aesthetics is polluted with ambiguous symbols and meaning. The role of aesthetics, the political meaning of beauty, the weaponizing of bodies, and the like as well as the glorification of battle and soldierly virtues in a civilian setting should make us think twice about where some of these ideas originally arose.

They remain very interesting and all come to mind with the idea of Kulturgut. Since I have spent a great deal of time in Germany and Austria, far from home, in 2009 and 2010, these things are on my mind.

/QUOTE]Luftwaffe Officers schirmutze : Erel PrivatLuftwaffe Officers schirmutze : Erel PrivatLuftwaffe Officers schirmutze : Erel PrivatLuftwaffe Officers schirmutze : Erel PrivatLuftwaffe Officers schirmutze : Erel PrivatLuftwaffe Officers schirmutze : Erel PrivatLuftwaffe Officers schirmutze : Erel Privat

Hi Ben, Hand and Lock do beautiful work. I commisioned them to make me some British Officers bullion beret cap badges (Many of 1st Airborne's Officers wore custom made wire bullion badges) for use in re-enactment. I will have to take a photo of the RA cap badge I have. It has now tarnished with age and use and it looks "real". The company kept me on their mailing list and even used to send me an Xmas card!

Cheers, Ade.

?

Before I learn't how to repair things myself, I took a black schirmmutze with moth eaten piping to Hand and Lock to see if they could help. As you can imagine, I wasn't sure what the reaction would be at seeing a genuine SS artifact! To their upmost credit, I was treated very proffesionaly and kindly and even though they could not help with repairs, I was shown around the workshops and even offered a cup of coffee.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Ben, Hand and Lock do beautiful work. I commisioned them to make me some British Officers bullion beret cap badges (Many of 1st Airborne's Officers wore custom made wire bullion badges) for use in re-enactment. I will have to take a photo of the RA cap badge I have. It has now tarnished with age and use and it looks "real". The company kept me on their mailing list and even used to send me an Xmas card!

Cheers, Ade.
    Can't wait to see the cap badge Ade!

FB-- the picture, I believe, featured Goebbels. The remark was that he had forgone a hat altogether as even the vents were not enough for all of his hot air, or something like that. It was a funny quip to be sure, regardless who made it. Maybe it was not you... ah well, no matter.

I wish I had said that, surely. I could have said such a thing. I have said similar things. One has to keep a sense of humor.
    All the best to you and happy new year with many foetid woolens to please your heart.

Quote by locloc08 View Post
    FB-- the picture, I believe, featured Goebbels. The remark was that he had forgone a hat altogether as even the vents were not enough for all of his hot air, or something like that. It was a funny quip to be sure, regardless who made it. Maybe it was not you... ah well, no matter.
    Your memory is much better than mine. I did post this thingy about Goebbels and no cap. I bumped it, as it were. I also read something I wrote in a book in 1992 and in these odd 18 plus years had forgotten entirely what I had written there. You see what old age does to already infirm minds.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast