Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M34 Heer Artillerie - real or reproduction?

Article about: Hello friends, I just received this Heer Schiffchen from Phillip Militaria. They came highly recommended by several forum members so I went ahead and purchased this cap. I paid top price for

Default M34 Heer Artillerie - real or reproduction?

Hello friends, I just received this Heer Schiffchen from Phillip Militaria. They came highly recommended by several forum members so I went ahead and purchased this cap. I paid top price for such an example but now I am worried that it is a high quality fake. Please take a look and offer feedback. Wehrmacht awards picked apart a similar example citing the stamp, grommets, condition and retaining threads. This is my 6th attempt to get a decent Schiffchen for display and I am getting a bit frustrated. NH

M34 Heer Artillerie - real or reproduction?M34 Heer Artillerie - real or reproduction?M34 Heer Artillerie - real or reproduction?M34 Heer Artillerie - real or reproduction?M34 Heer Artillerie - real or reproduction?M34 Heer Artillerie - real or reproduction?M34 Heer Artillerie - real or reproduction?M34 Heer Artillerie - real or reproduction?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M34 Heer Artillerie - real or reproduction?
    P
    Many

Neil, I know what they are talking about with regard to grommets (but I am not sure I always agree with them, but then again, I do not collect Schiffchens).
    Either way, I would return it, b/c it is always going to affect resale in the future.
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

Thanks for the feedback. I'm disappointed with the whole search for a decent M34 cap. This is my 6th attempt to find one. For my edification, can anyone else chime in on this example and how I might find something solid? The cut, construction and insignia on this example all seem legitimate. If it is a post war construction what is it that indicates this is the case? The Adler and other insignia seems to be spot on with other known period examples. I'm a bit confused by the whole Lago system as well as indicated by the stamp inside. I would really appreciate some additional guidance from those with experience with Schiffchen. Neil

Any other comments before I sadly contact Phillip Militaria regarding return policy? Anyone? NH

Hello,
    I'm not a fan of these grommets for sure. I do not like how the Hoheitsabzeichen is sewn as well.
    All the good Feldmützen i've handled had the same kind of grommets, with the same metal for both parts.
    On one of our sponsors website (VirtualGrenadier), you can see a few soutached Feldmützen for sale, check the grommets...
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

Oh well, back it goes. I think the cap itself is a post war fabrication with original insignia. The Hoheitsabzeichen is spot on original. I looked at some original M34 caps today at Ag Hall Allentown and note the difference in grommets. Thanks for the feedback fellas. Back to the drawing board. NH

Just a quick follow up - Doreen at Phillip Militaria was very accommodating. No questions asked on the return. For the record, my take on this cap is that it has original insignia applied to what appears to be post war construction. The quality of the cloth, the grommets and the ambiguous stamp do not match other period examples. Also, the ragged machine sewing of the Hoheitzabzeichen indicates it was "put together" as the expression goes. Looks nice but not right for my uniform display. It might have been a good gap filler at a third of the price. NH

Neil, you should be able to find a decent (real) one on almost any legit dealer site, such as Virtual Grenadier, the Duck, or even the WAF estand.
    They are also commonly found at shows like the SOS, Max or Pomona.
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

Quote by stonemint View Post
    Neil, you should be able to find a decent (real) one on almost any legit dealer site, such as Virtual Grenadier, the Duck, or even the WAF estand.
    They are also commonly found at shows like the SOS, Max or Pomona.
    Well, The one I purchased from Ruptured Duck went back because it was a re-sewn Kriegsmarine model - not Heer! It was posted here. Virtual sold their only Artillerie M34 and the one I picked up at the Ag Hall show turned out to be a dud. This is very frustrating. If someone from the forum can point me to a legitimate example, I will send them a finder's fee! Soon, I will have 600 Euros (730 US) burning a hole in my pocket. ; ) NH

...and just to be clear, I am incredibly thankful for the input of our esteemed members here. I value the feedback and encouragement very much. NH