Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Miners cap, opinions?!!!

Article about: Im sure this is an original c1930 miners cap but i was just wondering if it has any third reich connections as i have found this TR medal and seems to have the same miners emblem!!! Thanks a

Default Miners cap, opinions?!!!

Im sure this is an original c1930 miners cap but i was just wondering if it has any third reich connections as i have found this TR medal and seems to have the same miners emblem!!!
    Thanks alot guys
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Miners cap, opinions?!!!   Miners cap, opinions?!!!  

Miners cap, opinions?!!!   Miners cap, opinions?!!!  

Attached Images Attached Images Miners cap, opinions?!!!  Miners cap, opinions?!!! 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Miners cap, opinions?!!!
    P
    Many

Default Re: Miners cap, opinions?!!!

Quote by Glennyboy619 View Post
    Im sure this is an original c1930 miners cap but i was just wondering if it has any third reich connections as i have found this TR medal and seems to have the same miners emblem!!!
    This is not my area of expertise, so I cannot comment with any authority on the item's age and value but I have to point out that this type of hat - known as a "Schachthut", i.e. "shaft hat" - was and still is a part of the German miners' traditional dress. (The hats have differences in their furnishings depending on the region and the wearer's "rank")

Please see here for a 2010 picture gallery showing many such hats in wear:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1162169...September2010#
    ...this pattern is especially similiar:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/1162169...15322139837602

The crossed hammer-and-pick symbol, too, has absolutely nothing to do with the Third Reich period as it is a traditional miners' symbol and as such has been used long before, during and long after the Nazi reign; again, it is still used today.
    (Just have a look at the present-day version of the Grubenwehr-Ehrenzeichen: Das Grubenwehr-Ehrenzeichen | Ordensmuseum.de )

Thus, why are you so sure that the hat is from the 1930s?
    Last edited by HPL2008; 10-08-2011 at 04:29 PM.

?

To me it looks typically post war , the grey leatherette sweatband is of a Bundeswehr type design and the sweat shield appears plastic

?

Post war manufacture for sure.

Agreed. It is a post-war Bergbau lid. As HPL states, these existed from 1900 to the present, and it is really tought to tell the pre-war & wartime ones from the immediate postwar ones. (This one being an exception).
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”