Page 39 of 100 FirstFirst ... 293536373839404142434989 ... LastLast

Article about: F.B. Reichenbach is about 10 km (6 miles) away from me. If you want, I'll make a photo of the building. If it is still standing.

Default Re: Muetzenfabrik

& a procurement card for a shirmmuetze even at this late stage of the war:

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_2915crc.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	52.8 KB 
ID:	186678  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default A true rarity!

I've just found my holy grail! No, not an pink piped SS alter art cap or anything of that sort.

Here it is! An articule in UM about a sewing machine apparatus for the mutzenmacher that can sew the schirm, sweatband and pasteboard all in one operation without difficulty for each type of uniform cap, including sports caps (?) The apparatus is attached by only one screw with reduces the costly time lost in changing parts etc. It goes on to explain how all components are sewn together accurately and with no damage to the cap. At least, that's what I've understood it to say. Prehaps someone could fill in the details for me?

The articule is a total revelation to me. Never before has this information been published online in any form that I know of and explains everything that I had always puzzled over regarding schirmmutze construction. I had always known that a special sewing apparatus must have been used but could only guess at what it was and how it operated. It's all clear now. Notice the curved "bed" that the cap sits on to facilitate the sewing as the cap is sewn around the schirm (peak). A very simple but effective design.

Now you all know how German Mutzenmachers achieved near perfect sewing results whilst sewing numerous components together all in one go.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hat fabrication.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	256.1 KB 
ID:	187730  

I take it then, that there must be a seperate bobbin under that curved bed where the needle picks it up and secures, i would assume that when changing the bed for another operation , bobbins are to be found under each bed, very clever bit of machinery and pretty simple when you think about it, not as time consuming and awkward as we first thought

Bravo, that our Ben has crossed the frontier into the royaume of the Uniformenmarkt Zeitschrift!
    This machine was made by Pfaff, I think, and is also interpreted in this book I have mentioned before.
    The UM is the mother lode of all substantial knowledge of a historical sort versus the balderdash and hocus pocus that operates among aging gun show queens, internet charlatans, and random stitch fairies.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mützenmacher05-Buch.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	187762
    damit, basta.

The Germans are great makers of tools, after all. I was just in Kaiserslautern where I lived three decades ago, when Pfaff was still going strong. I wonder if they still exist?
    damit, basta.

FB, if they do ,you never know they may just have one somewhere, that would be an extraordinary piece of cap history to own

Quote by davejb View Post
    FB, if they do ,you never know they may just have one somewhere, that would be an extraordinary piece of cap history to own
    I am sure such a thing exists somewhere in Germany. There are many museums of industrial and trades history, as I have noted in this thread.
    But I am brimming with admiration for our Ben colleague that he has tucked into this fine, excellent source. Now I can profit from his work. I do not have time to read all of this stuff. Happy hats, friends.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mützenmacher02.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	187790Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00010-20110315-1635.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	150.6 KB 
ID:	187782Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ss visor 003.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	229.5 KB 
ID:	187783Name:  plorre4.JPG
Views: 278
Size:  14.6 KBName:  herstellung8.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  41.4 KB
    damit, basta.

My problem with my German forays to historical places is that I have no time to wander around. I have to go to meetings, fulfill deadlines and otherwise act like a mouse on the treadmill all the time to the detriment of real historical learning for our merry band here. But I have added hints here about other places that some of you can also research in turn.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Schlagen 20010738 copy.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	156.5 KB 
ID:	187791Name:  die Staende 30028945.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  44.2 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	7days11.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	187801
    damit, basta.

Great find, Ben! You deserve a pat on the back, my friend. I've been absent for a while, but FB's brusque humor is as strong as ever. "random stitch fairies" nearly caused a spit-take...

Excellent find Ben. I have found the UM to be very fertile ground for research into this trade- the translation surely tests my prerequisite college German. It was not nearly enough to comprehend technical German and does very little for this endeavor as well. Another article that displays the detailed craftsmanship that was attained all the while producing these items in a fashion that would bring a smile to Ford's face…
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Uniformenmarkt 319 (10).jpg 
Views:	462 
Size:	276.4 KB 
ID:	187896

Best regards,