Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 39 of 117 FirstFirst ... 29 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 49 89 ... LastLast

Muetzenfabrik

Article about: F.B. Reichenbach is about 10 km (6 miles) away from me. If you want, I'll make a photo of the building. If it is still standing.

Default Re: Muetzenfabrik

Quote by davejb View Post
    FB, if they do ,you never know they may just have one somewhere, that would be an extraordinary piece of cap history to own
    I am sure such a thing exists somewhere in Germany. There are many museums of industrial and trades history, as I have noted in this thread.
    But I am brimming with admiration for our Ben colleague that he has tucked into this fine, excellent source. Now I can profit from his work. I do not have time to read all of this stuff. Happy hats, friends.MuetzenfabrikMuetzenfabrikMuetzenfabrikMuetzenfabrikMuetzenfabrik

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Muetzenfabrik
    P
    Many

My problem with my German forays to historical places is that I have no time to wander around. I have to go to meetings, fulfill deadlines and otherwise act like a mouse on the treadmill all the time to the detriment of real historical learning for our merry band here. But I have added hints here about other places that some of you can also research in turn.MuetzenfabrikMuetzenfabrikMuetzenfabrik

Great find, Ben! You deserve a pat on the back, my friend. I've been absent for a while, but FB's brusque humor is as strong as ever. "random stitch fairies" nearly caused a spit-take...

?

Excellent find Ben. I have found the UM to be very fertile ground for research into this trade- the translation surely tests my prerequisite college German. It was not nearly enough to comprehend technical German and does very little for this endeavor as well. Another article that displays the detailed craftsmanship that was attained all the while producing these items in a fashion that would bring a smile to Ford's face…
    Muetzenfabrik

Best regards,

CMH

?

It's wonderful that our little band of mutzen nerds find this information most interesting. I too find it difficult to decifer the language and especially the Fraktur fonts but I'm working with a new bit of software at the moment that does help.

Would it be of interest to anyone else if I could supply pages from the UM in word format for example that you can copy the text and paste into translator software? It won't be perfect but most of the text will be recognised and then you can fill in the blanks as it were.

[QUOTE=DrCMH;256053]Excellent find Ben. I have found the UM to be very fertile ground for research into this trade- the translation surely tests my prerequisite college German. It was not nearly enough to comprehend technical German and does very little for this endeavor as well. Another article that displays the detailed craftsmanship that was attained all the while producing these items in a fashion that would bring a smile to Ford's face…
    Muetzenfabrik

Notice the Pfaff sewing machines. If I had to guess, I would hazard that this is an image of Lubstein, since they surely made black peaked caps and Pz berets in 1938, but who knows. A marvelous image and thanks to you all for embracing the cult of UM. Now we can actually learn something.
    The problem with translations by the 21st century method is that this German is early 20th century, with a lot of technical terms native to the apparel trade and textiles etc. But I will not hold back the tides of progress with my obscurantism of the 19th century. I learned all of this in solitude and agony in the 1970s by myself. Fraktur is not hard at all. You have to master the "s" forms.

Thanks to you all for these nice images. The fact that the sale of extra caps was a source of profits is interesting.

Quote by stonemint View Post
    & a procurement card for a shirmmuetze even at this late stage of the war:
    This is a ration card, not a "procurement" card. The UM describes this system in detail once the war begins, and my nifty Waffen SS administrative book does as well.Muetzenfabrik

?

I've just spent a few frustrating but enjoyable hours working with the new software today and here's the result. Could someone download it and have a look for me please and let me know how accurately it's managed to convert the Fraktur font? It's a matter of teaching the software to recognise the more difficult letters but I think it's getting there slowly.

Mützenfabrikant spricht zum einzelhandel TEST.pdf - 4shared.com - document sharing - download

Quote by BenVK View Post
    I've just spent a few frustrating but enjoyable hours working with the new software today and here's the result. Could someone download it and have a look for me please and let me know how accurately it's managed to convert the Fraktur font? It's a matter of teaching the software to recognise the more difficult letters but I think it's getting there slowly.

Mützenfabrikant spricht zum einzelhandel TEST.pdf - 4shared.com - document sharing - download
    Your thingy works about 95% of the time. It is better than a stick in the eye. The wonders of the 21st century. I could finish off the translation, but I have only four, that is 4, which is F O U R manuscripts to edit since I returned on Sunday from Berlin. But you have done us all a great favor.
    Bravo.,

?

Quote by BenVK View Post

Wow! The OCR software was able to handle Fraktur font much better than I expected. Very nice Ben. I think with a little time and effort on of all of our parts we could actually translate this and organize into a coherent structure. I am willing to put some effort in. What is the name of the software you use?

Page 39 of 117 FirstFirst ... 29 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 49 89 ... LastLast