MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My first Silk Top

Article about: OK, not what you were all expecting no doubt but when I saw it, I had to buy it! I love these student caps from the period, they're so well made and are little gems of German workmanship. Th

?

Default My first Silk Top

OK, not what you were all expecting no doubt but when I saw it, I had to buy it!

I love these student caps from the period, they're so well made and are little gems of German workmanship.
    The little leather visor is so appealing and it's rare to find them made from silk.

No one cares much for such hats these days though and I paid very little for it.
    I'm sure it would have cost the parents of the student a fair bit back in the day.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My first Silk Top   My first Silk Top  

My first Silk Top  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My first Silk Top
    P
    Many

Ben, these are a study all their own--they also often come with some lovely capboxes. Great score!
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

?

Ohw, I never saw such cap before... totally new. But when I should wear it now these days, my mother and my girlfriend would kill me for wearing such a ugly thing...
    I thought the Germans had taste in those days...!?

?

Ben that's a hat alright. If I saw one I would have walked right by it . Thanks for showing. Gary

Nice hat I've only seen a period picture never up close thanks for showing did they wear any insignia on them? timothy
    Last edited by timothy; 11-09-2013 at 07:46 AM.

?

Quote by KRISSE View Post
    Ohw, I never saw such cap before... totally new. But when I should wear it now these days, my mother and my girlfriend would kill me for wearing such a ugly thing...
    I thought the Germans had taste in those days...!?
    Interesting comment and highlights just how much fashion has changed in the modern era.

Hats were an integral part of everyday life, especially in Germany. Much status was placed on wearing these student caps for example and also their connection with fencing clubs and the like. You see many embroidered with fencing monograms like the one below.

You question whether the Germans had taste in those days. I believe that to be the wrong question. It's not a matter of taste as we perceive it now, rather a matter of institutions and fashions from an era we find difficult to comprehend these days. Such hats were worn as a badge of honour and pride, much like the fencing scars upon these young men's faces.

To understand German Military uniforms, of which the hat was considered an essential element, it's prudent to try and understand German society and heritage as a whole, not just the Military in isolation. Everything is interwoven and influences each other. After all, these student caps are just scaled down and brightly coloured versions of soldiers fieldcaps.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My first Silk Top   My first Silk Top  

My first Silk Top   My first Silk Top  

My first Silk Top   My first Silk Top  

Attached Images Attached Images My first Silk Top  My first Silk Top 

Very cool cap Ben and an interesting part of the periods history. In the life and death of Colonel Blimp (if my memory is not playing up) you see a number of these being worn and also in another film that I can't remember the name of, very much a part of the culture back then. Not quite the same thing, but in Britain you had the Boys Brigade and the Scouts etc, all with their own headgear and also many of the universities had caps of the pill box form that more recently you only see worn by marching bands, but in the day they were quite common.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

In a weird way they remind me of the old boys cricket caps..i love the unusual items like these,a real niche market but i would think a great collectable!

?

Another student silk top if anyone is interested. One is enough for me to study.

Studenten Schirmmütze um 1910/20 - schlagende Verbindung Sachsen - Leder Seide | eBay

The other thing that is nice about these caps is that many were made by some high-quality visor manufacturers that lasted into the TR era.
    Unlike most military visors, they more often than not come with the original box.
    This one is for Josef Rom of Wurzburg:

“Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast