Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need help Identifying visor

Article about: Hello, my name is Joël. I am 42 years old and I have been collecting since my youngest age. Life makes my father and I sold our collection, some years ago. Since a few months, I bought some

Default Need help Identifying visor

Hello, my name is Joël. I am 42 years old and I have been collecting since my youngest age. Life makes my father and I sold our collection, some years ago. Since a few months, I bought some lots during official auction. The enthusiasm of the auction prompted me to buy a cap whose authenticity was not guaranteed, unlike the other lots I bought. I send you photos to determine the type of cap and validate if it is authentic.
    Best regards from France, Joël.
    Need help Identifying visorNeed help Identifying visorNeed help Identifying visorNeed help Identifying visorNeed help Identifying visorNeed help Identifying visor

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need help Identifying visor
    P
    Many

Hello Joel, and welcome to the forum!
    A smart purchase--that is a late-war visor made by Hermann Potthoff of Coesfeld.
    Your hat probably has the grommet ventilation system, which was patented by them.
    (It looks like the sweatband is oilcloth, and these usually stiffen with age, so I would not recommend looking under it to see if the grommets are there).

Also, I note that you became a WRF Club Member (thanks!).
    Because of this, you have access to the Members Only forums.

Here is the thread on HPC visors:

Maker Study: HPC (Hermann Potthoff of Coesfeld)
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

Hello welcome to the forum! It's great you have become a gold member. Imho the cap stands a good chance. The materials and construction look good to my eyes. I think it has undergone some novice restoration work though. It looks like the underside of the vulkanfiber visor was painted an odd beige color. The chincord buttons have a gold tone and I'm not sure it started out life as an officers visor? Possibly rebadged as well with what looks like original insignia. But the cap stands a chance I think? We ll see what the consensus is. Kindest regards.

Brian

MAP
    ?

Welcome Joel and thanks for being a paying member from the start.

The good news is that thus gives you full access to our vast soft headgear database.

I'm not much help with this maker and I'm on a cell phone now, but here is a dedicated thread with many examples of this maker to compare to.

Hopefully someone will be around shortly to help.

Maker Study: HPC (Hermann Potthoff of Coesfeld)

Edit: well typing from a cell phone takes time. Looks like Stonemint and Brian were quicker than I and with better information. Congrats on a fine original from a maker I like but don't own
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thank you all for your responses,

Actually the headband is not very strong but if I handle it carefully I do not see any grommet ventilation system. I took this picture

This is very similar to this photo from the HPC forum : (Maker Study: HPC (Hermann Potthoff of Coesfeld))

Thank you to Brian for your comments. Concerning the beige color of the underside of the vulkanfiber visor, I saw the same features on the HPC forum previously cited (picture below). what's your opinion?

I found the headband stitching suspicious

But i saw the same type of seam on a cap exemplar for sale

I look forward to your opinions, thank you again for your tolerance for grammar mistakes and othograph; Joël.

It is a good one. I have seen other late-war HPC's w/o the advertised Stirndruckfrei/Frischluft system.
    Just the use of leftover lining stock.
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

Welcome Joel, looks good to me, unusual as well because it lacks the ventilation system. Nice visor. cheers Tony

Thanks Tony & others members who took the trouble to answer me,

I would like to sell it and, as a matter of principle, in priority for this site if it is possible. In your opinion, what is the reasonable price for this Officer’s Artillery Visor?

I participated in a milatria sale with lots of war catches from the Berghof. I put you a picture. Can you confirm that the visor and the objects below have no common stories?
    I can see a connection between the Adolf Hitler cuff title and the ring ( = leibstandarte whose a large contingent were housed in barracks adjacent to the Berghof) but do you see a logic to the presence of totenkopf?

Thanks Joël.

Quote by joel detry View Post
    I participated in a milatria sale with lots of war catches from the Berghof.
    Hi Joël,

I wold be wary to attribute any link to the Berghof without concrete evidence. Remember that the compound was heavily bombed by the RAF. Retreating German troops then set fire to the building. What little remained was then ransacked by American and French troops. Of course it is possible, but without an absolute evidential link to a veteran I always remain sceptical with the suggestion.

Hello Chris,
    Sorry because I did not explain myself at length, it is a succession (inheritance) of a member of the 2nd DB who was present at the berghof on May 4 & 5, 1945. The other acquisitions are much more explicit so that doubt is not permissible. I was just curious if there was a connection with the presence of the totenkopf and the objects "LSSAH".
    Thank you again, Joel.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast