Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Opinions on needed on Scharnhorst cap tally

Article about: I bought this cap tally 15 - 20 years ago. I have no history other than when I bought it. It was bought from a collectors / junk shop which I use to visit regulary at the time. The owner use

Default Opinions needed on Scharnhorst cap tally

I bought this cap tally 15 - 20 years ago. I have no history other than when I bought it. It was bought from a collectors / junk shop which I use to visit regulary at the time. The owner use to put WW2 stuff which came in behind the counter for me and offer me first refusal. The cap tally came into the shop with some original WW2 Royal Navy items which had been found in the sellers loft (They had found a cap and batteldress blouse, unfortunately they cut the shoulder boards off the blouse as it had moth damage and threw it away!! I bought the cap and shoulder boards along with some WW2 books and pamphlets which came with them, the cap tally was amongst them).
    I am aware that not many survived the sinking of the Scharnhorst so have always been unsure of its authenticity.
    I have attached some close up photos which should hopefully provide an answer from those in the know!
    Last edited by Grimebox; 06-25-2011 at 09:52 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Opinions on needed on Scharnhorst cap tally
    P
    Many

Scharnhorst tallies are rare ... and than there are the fakes too. Belfast fake is a nasty one. Too bad I cant see photos.

I have a repro Scharnhorst tally that used to be sold as souvenirs on HMS Belfast .The tell on these is that one side of the tally is longer than the other so the writing is off centre! The reason for this is that the British style tallys have a bow tied on the left not the rear as per Kreigsmarine. Beware cut down tallys regards Paul

Many thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I deleted the images a few years ago by accident. I’ll try and dig it out at some point (haven’t got a clue where it is!). I suspect that it probably is one of these “Belfast” tallies that you refer to as it’s unlikely I’d be lucky enough to pick up a real one.