Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Panzer protective helmets.

Article about: Gents, I am aware that pre and early war panzer crews wore a protective helmet that when outside the panzer was covered with a beret ( sorry probably not the correct technical term ). Howeve

Default Panzer protective helmets.

Gents,

I am aware that pre and early war panzer crews wore a protective helmet that when outside the panzer was covered with a beret ( sorry probably not the correct technical term ). However in all the mid/late war photos I have seen panzer crews seem to be either bare headed or wearing m43 cap / oveseas mutze. If it is not a stupid question, could I ask, was protective headgear worn within the panzers and if so what kind ( photos would be a real bonus as well).

Many thanks in advance

Robin

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Panzer protective helmets.
    P
    Many

Hi Robin, no such thing as a stupid question.

The correct German term for the Panzer Beret is the Panzerschutzmütze. The beret and the inner crash liner were always worn together as a single item.

It fell into disuse for Frontline Service by 1940 due to the introduction of radio intercom headsets. However, it continued in use by units in training as late as 1943 going by photo evidence. The M34 Feldmütze in black and the Einheitsfeldmütze were much more practical and popular forms of heagear. No kind of crash hat was worn in the vehicle after the schutzmütze fell into disuse . The standard steel helmet was popular for tank commanders if exposed in the turret hatch.

They are a rare and expensive item of kit. I own one which I have shown on the foum in the past.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Hi Ade thanks for the answer, there must have been a few sore heads. I recall the post showing your Panzerschutzmütze and feeling rather enviopus.

Panzer protective helmets.I owned three of these at one point, but became bored with them.

A version of the panzer beret with the crash helmet interior was reintroduced in the Bw in the early 1960s. I own one of those, too.

Many of the crash liners got used up as improvised Winter fur Pelzmütze.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

There was also a rare version in Feldgrau wool for assault gunners of the Sturmartillerie.

I also forgot to mention that later insignia issues on the black version were in grey thread as opposed to the original white.

Cheers, Ade.