Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

A presentation of my prewar Wilhelm Welhausen Pionier officer's Schirmmütze

Article about: by stonemint There is also an Admin visor by Welhausen on Shea's site. Contrary to what Shea says, I do not believe this one is a late-war cap, but it is a wartime example. This type of viso

KSH
    ?

Default Re: A presentation of my prewar Wilhelm Welhausen Pionier officer's Schirmmütze

Quote by stonemint View Post
    There is also an Admin visor by Welhausen on Shea's site. Contrary to what Shea says, I do not believe this one is a late-war cap, but it is a wartime example. This type of visor is common to many Welhausens--it is a thin composite material, and they are placed at a rakish angle to the hat.

The cords are also original imho--Welhausen used thicker cords on their visors.

HG-10c* Army Administration Officer's Private Purchase Visor Cap
    I agree with you, Chris - and the cords are definitely original, typical wartime thick Welhausen cords. As far as I know (based on my own cap and other observations) Welhausen did not use these thick cords early on.

Regards,

Kenneth
    Last edited by KSH; 07-24-2021 at 03:08 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement A presentation of my prewar Wilhelm Welhausen Pionier officer's Schirmmütze
    P
    Many

Default Re: A presentation of my prewar Wilhelm Welhausen Pionier officer's Schirmmütze

I took a look at the waffenrock too, Kenneth. That is a wonderful set you have there. I think the black piping is my favorite... although artillery red takes a close second.

KSH
    ?

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    I took a look at the waffenrock too, Kenneth. That is a wonderful set you have there. I think the black piping is my favorite... although artillery red takes a close second.
    Thank you, in fact I suffer from a strong attraction towards both the black Waffenfarbe and the nature of the field work these tough Pionier-forces carried out.

Regards,

Kenneth

?

A stunning example and only about the 3rd I've ever seen with velvet piping. Some of these Pioneer boys really knew how to dress with style.

It's so similar to my Paul Kaps example, it's worth showing it again.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A presentation of my prewar Wilhelm Welhausen Pionier officer's Schirmmütze  

KSH
    ?

Quote by BenVK View Post
    A stunning example and only about the 3rd I've ever seen with velvet piping. Some of these Pioneer boys really knew how to dress with style.

It's so similar to my Paul Kaps example, it's worth showing it again.
    Thank you, I suspected velvet piping from the look of the dealer pics (it was not mentioned in the description) and I was really excited to see that that was what it was indeed - and any Paul Kaps example is always welcome in my threads! I have seen it many times before Ben, but I never get tired of your fabulous Pionier cap. My two favorite known makers of caps (if I was forced to choose) are without a doubt Welhausen and Kaps - the reason I prefer Welhausen over Kaps myself lies with the unique shape of the Welhausens that wins me over, they both represent the best workmanship that Germany had to offer at the time pertaining to cloth headgear. It is my intention to add a Kaps example to my collection sooner or later

Maybe the owner of my visor and the owner of your visor were rivals as regarding style?

Regards,

Kenneth

?

I had an interesting email conversation once with Peter v Lucas about my PK cap shown above.

I was thinking about selling it and asked Peter whether he would do that for me. He said he could but it wouldn't attract many takers or the price I wanted for it. At first, I didn't understand why but then Peter opened my eyes. He explained that hardly any collector would recognise the quality or really want a hat such as this. In other words, a leather peaked hat that is neither a true Feldmuetze alter art or a regular schimmuetze. Apparently, most of the collectors that approach him for this kind of hat are looking for a "crusher", they want bevo insignia and a hat that is all floppy and err....crushed!

Sad but true and it's very nice to see that other collectors do understand and can see quality and rarity rather than just following the herd.

KSH
    ?

Quote by BenVK View Post
    I had an interesting email conversation once with Peter v Lucas about my PK cap shown above.

I was thinking about selling it and asked Peter whether he would do that for me. He said he could but it wouldn't attract many takers or the price I wanted for it. At first, I didn't understand why but then Peter opened my eyes. He explained that hardly any collector would recognise the quality or really want a hat such as this. In other words, a leather peaked hat that is neither a true Feldmuetze alter art or a regular schimmuetze. Apparently, most of the collectors that approach him for this kind of hat are looking for a "crusher", they want bevo insignia and a hat that is all floppy and err....crushed!

Sad but true and it's very nice to see that other collectors do understand and can see quality and rarity rather than just following the herd.
    The biblical phrase "pearls before swine" was the first that appeared in my mind as I read your post above! Had I been as narrow-minded and as prone to herd mentality as many collectors evidently are, I would have had the obligatory shelf filled up by mediocre mass-produced Lubstein caps with all kinds of useless cheap gimmicks like "brow-pressure-free" and "the cockade with a ridiculous hole in it" and what not...

I am glad that people like you Ben, stonemint and F-B have inspired me to look beyond such nonsense as you describe above - I guess that my Welhausen cap would have been treated the same way as similar as it is Collectors should be standing in line to purchase a cap like yours or mine!

Regards,

Kenneth
    Last edited by KSH; 07-24-2021 at 03:09 PM.

?

When I first started collecting, it was all erel erel erel and nothing else! or erelse! sorry bad joke...

Thankfully, we have moved on now and realise that Lubstein was not the pinnacle, far from it.

The biggest thrill I get from collecting and studying hats is that at least one new unobserved maker appears from the woodwork on a monthly basis. Someday one will turn up that we've never seen before that will surpass anything we've seen before in terms of quality, of that I'm sure.

KSH
    ?

Quote by BenVK View Post
    When I first started collecting, it was all erel erel erel and nothing else! or erelse! sorry bad joke...

Thankfully, we have moved on now and realise that Lubstein was not the pinnacle, far from it.

The biggest thrill I get from collecting and studying hats is that at least one new unobserved maker appears from the woodwork on a monthly basis. Someday one will turn up that we've never seen before that will surpass anything we've seen before in terms of quality, of that I'm sure.
    I think you are right there, Ben. It makes it more difficult though when the caps we find are not labeled, I have already seen some superb caps that were not maker marked, in fact I have one. When you think about that there were hundreds of cap makers in Germany at the time, it just makes you think what might turn up tomorrow or the day after. Please let me know when you find the cap that puts the Kaps and the Welhausen examples to shame

I also find much joy in exploring what's out there regarding obscure makers and their creations, although I am not on par with you in this regard I am sure my friend.

Regards,

Kenneth

?

This is the highest quality schirmmuetze that I've ever seen.

It might not look too special now, being all bent out of shape and mothed but let me assure you, the quality is superb.
    I've never seen another by this maker and the logo design is none too inspiring but you have to look past all that and concentrate on the details.
    Not one stitch out of place on this hat and the sweatband is a work of art. It doesn't overlap at the back, the ends meet in a perfect join. To achieve this is beyond the usual skills. Also, look at the sweatband details, it has a padded strip sewn onto the band itself and the little perforated circle designs are exquisite.
    Another one that I offered for sale a few years back but had no interest!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A presentation of my prewar Wilhelm Welhausen Pionier officer's Schirmmütze   A presentation of my prewar Wilhelm Welhausen Pionier officer's Schirmmütze  

A presentation of my prewar Wilhelm Welhausen Pionier officer's Schirmmütze   A presentation of my prewar Wilhelm Welhausen Pionier officer's Schirmmütze  

A presentation of my prewar Wilhelm Welhausen Pionier officer's Schirmmütze  

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast