Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

A presentation of my prewar Wilhelm Welhausen Pionier officer's Schirmmütze

Article about: by stonemint There is also an Admin visor by Welhausen on Shea's site. Contrary to what Shea says, I do not believe this one is a late-war cap, but it is a wartime example. This type of viso

KSH
    ?

Default Re: A presentation of my prewar Wilhelm Welhausen Pionier officer's Schirmmütze

Quote by BenVK View Post
    This is the highest quality schirmmuetze that I've ever seen.

It might not look too special now, being all bent out of shape and mothed but let me assure you, the quality is superb.
    I've never seen another by this maker and the logo design is none too inspiring but you have to look past all that and concentrate on the details.
    Not one stitch out of place on this hat and the sweatband is a work of art. It doesn't overlap at the back, the ends meet in a perfect join. To achieve this is beyond the usual skills. Also, look at the sweatband details, it has a padded strip sewn onto the band itself and the little perforated circle designs are exquisite.
    Another one that I offered for sale a few years back but had no interest!
    Amazing cap, the hand-stitching of the sweatband is exquisite. I like the double stitching of the "sweatdiamond" also. As you say it may not look special to most collectors, but I can certainly appreciate the workmanship and the incredible accuracy of manufacture it displays. The detail that impresses me most is the strip of padding added to the sweatband for extra comfort. Simply a splendid cap.

Regards,

Kenneth
    Last edited by KSH; 07-24-2021 at 03:09 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement A presentation of my prewar Wilhelm Welhausen Pionier officer's Schirmmütze
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: A presentation of my prewar Wilhelm Welhausen Pionier officer's Schirmmütze

I guess what put most people off is that it had a big hole right next to the eagle.
    In this case, the high quality of wool worked against me because it's such a fine nap, any repair does stand out, even more so in a macro photo.
    You can't really see it with the naked eye. I wasn't happy with it though as I'm a perfectionist but sometimes you have to addmit to defeat.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A presentation of my prewar Wilhelm Welhausen Pionier officer's Schirmmütze  

?

This a classic example of when to repair or not. I shouldn't have repaired this hole because my eyes see only the repair whenever I pick up this hat because I know it's there.
    I should have left the hole as it was and just accept it even though it was right in your face.
    It's not an exact science however and to remove what I did would only make it worse...

KSH
    ?

Quote by BenVK View Post
    This a classic example of when to repair or not. I shouldn't have repaired this hole because my eyes see only the repair whenever I pick up this hat because I know it's there.
    I should have left the hole as it was and just accept it even though it was right in your face.
    It's not an exact science however and to remove what I did would only make it worse...
    It's a fine line indeed - I am not sure that a potential new owner not involved with the repair work would see it the same way you do, Ben.

Regards,

Kenneth
    Last edited by KSH; 07-24-2021 at 03:10 PM.

Quote by BenVK View Post
    I think you are far too harsh. You did a good job, really. Well done. I would be perfectly happy with such a thing.

That was a very nice and well made cap. Likely all made on bespoke basis, and of pleasing quality. The average collector does not understand this kind of thing.

Ben,

I think its a well done repair. Although I agree its hard to judge when to leave things as they are or restore them.

Every cap I pick up that i have done some work on immediately draws my eye to the repair.....but that's only because I know its there.

If it makes the cap more aesthetically pleasing then I reckon its a job well done, which in the case of this cap you have.

cheers

tony

Ben's repairs are well done. In forty five years of collecting, I have seen many poorly done repairs, as well as skilled and blessed ones. If Ben lived on the same continent as I, I would give him many things to fix and pay him well. Nor would I apologize for the repairs. Are not historical buildings and artworks also repaired, restored, and maintained to preserve them?

KSH
    ?

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    Ben's repairs are well done. In forty five years of collecting, I have seen many poorly done repairs, as well as skilled and blessed ones. If Ben lived on the same continent as I, I would give him many things to fix and pay him well. Nor would I apologize for the repairs. Are not historical buildings and artworks also repaired, restored, and maintained to preserve them?
    Well said, F-B - historical buildings and artworks are indeed repaired, restored and maintained in order to preserve them and to ensure that they are still aesthetically pleasing. Speaking for myself, I am very conservative when it comes to repairing/restoring my own collectibles. In my mind if I ever was to repair something that would affect the item permanently - I would have to think about what will detract (not money-wise) most in the end, the parts added to the item that are not a part of the item's unique history, or the damage itself - especially if this damage will cause the item to deteriorate further because of it, also aesthetic considerations will come into play. But this is just my own subjective take on it - all down to my personal feelings on this issue of course.

Take the cap in question (the Wilhelm Welhausen that started the thread): This cap has been worn a lot and has been through a lot of stress in its day - this has caused the sweatband to loosen in front somewhat from its original position, tightly joined to the leather peak. If I shine a light into the interior of the cap, I can see the light clearly through the gap between the peak and the sweatband. The very (extremely) brittle nature of the leather sweatband and the fact that the structural integrity of the cap is not threatened as I can judge it (overall the peak is firmly in place and is not going anywhere) has caused me to make the decision to leave the cap as it is - telling the story it tells - I have no problem handling this cap very gently for as long as I live to preserve this cap and its story. If I turn out to be wrong, I shall have to send it to Ben and pay him handsomely to take care of it

Regards,

Kenneth
    Last edited by KSH; 07-24-2021 at 03:10 PM.

?

I'm a great believer in the "stabilization" of hats, most notably the stressed areas like the peak and sweatband stitching. I've had so many sent to me for repairs that have completely fallen apart due to weak and rotten stitching, bad storage etc. Just a few new stitches in the correct places 20 years ago would have stopped the separation of parts but it's a very difficult thing to judge and I can understand why most are against it.

Great new logo Kenneth, I'm very impressed!
    Attached Images Attached Images A presentation of my prewar Wilhelm Welhausen Pionier officer's Schirmmütze 

Most are too unskilled to do the proper repairs. I find the fussing about a repaired sweat band or a repaired peak very odd, as if these things can somehow remain in perfect condition for eighty years. Even forty years ago, the things were damaged from whatever source. If someone can do an expert job, as Ben does, like an artisan, then it is a fine thing. It is when cap is poorly repaired, where the repair is a mess, then I think this is an issue. If the cap is, as Ben says, un repaired so it falls apart even more, where is the profit in that?

I do not collect antique furniture, though I own a lot of antique furniture. I guess this untouched thing comes from the furniture world.

In any case, I am sorry Ben is not around the corner, I have three or four caps that need his skilled aid.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast