Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

A presentation of my prewar Wilhelm Welhausen Pionier officer's Schirmmütze

Article about: by stonemint There is also an Admin visor by Welhausen on Shea's site. Contrary to what Shea says, I do not believe this one is a late-war cap, but it is a wartime example. This type of viso

KSH
    ?

Default Re: A presentation of my prewar Wilhelm Welhausen Pionier officer's Schirmmütze

Quote by BenVK View Post
    I'm a great believer in the "stabilization" of hats, most notably the stressed areas like the peak and sweatband stitching. I've had so many sent to me for repairs that have completely fallen apart due to weak and rotten stitching, bad storage etc. Just a few new stitches in the correct places 20 years ago would have stopped the separation of parts but it's a very difficult thing to judge and I can understand why most are against it.

Great new logo Kenneth, I'm very impressed!
    You know what you are talking about that is certain, Ben

Thank you, it is my monogram - I had it custom designed by a monogram-artist two years ago

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    Most are too unskilled to do the proper repairs. I find the fussing about a repaired sweat band or a repaired peak very odd, as if these things can somehow remain in perfect condition for eighty years. Even forty years ago, the things were damaged from whatever source. If someone can do an expert job, as Ben does, like an artisan, then it is a fine thing. It is when cap is poorly repaired, where the repair is a mess, then I think this is an issue. If the cap is, as Ben says, un repaired so it falls apart even more, where is the profit in that?

I do not collect antique furniture, though I own a lot of antique furniture. I guess this untouched thing comes from the furniture world.

In any case, I am sorry Ben is not around the corner, I have three or four caps that need his skilled aid.
    Well in my case it comes not from the furniture world, but from the voices in my head.

Regards,

Kenneth S-H.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: A presentation of my prewar Wilhelm Welhausen Pionier officer's Schirmmütze

Quote by KSH View Post
    Well in my case it comes not from the furniture world, but from the voices in my head.
    We all have the same voices I'm sure which is why it's never an easy decision to get the needle and thread out whilst a garment still seems to be in good condition. It's only after it has fallen apart that those voices go away!

KSH
    ?

Quote by BenVK View Post
    We all have the same voices I'm sure which is why it's never an easy decision to get the needle and thread out whilst a garment still seems to be in good condition. It's only after it has fallen apart that those voices go away!
    Very true, Ben.

Regards,

Kenneth S-H.

A nice Welhausen that is on the Espenlaub site right now:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	visor_cap1%20(1).jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	177.6 KB 
ID:	326487   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	visor_cap1%20(7).jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	79.3 KB 
ID:	326488  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	visor_cap1%20(9).jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	326489  
    NEC SOLI CEDIT

Someone should buy that cap, it is a very nice one. Many times more aesthetic and interesting that the forehead pressure free mania ala Lubstein, as one hardly needs to say.
    Zugreifen!
    damit, basta.

KSH
    ?

Someone should buy that cap, it is a very nice one. Many times more aesthetic and interesting that the forehead pressure free mania ala Lubstein, as one hardly needs to say.
    Zugreifen!
    Absolutely. The piece on Espenlaub comes across to me as a rather mid-war/late-war example based on the maker's stencil, the quality of the embroidered wreath and cockade and the overall appearance of the cloth used for the cap and so on - perhaps stonemint/Chris can date it better than can I (those interested can compare with my prewar cap posted in the beginning of this thread).

It's an interesting cap I would love to have myself had I not other obligations.

Regards,

Kenneth S-H.

I have seen this cap plenty of times over and it still doesent lose its poetry. A stunning example Kenneth. I am well pleased you have it in your collection. And the thread you made is superb. It leaves my threads something to be desired.

Cheers, Pat
    Last edited by Patrick Lewis; 04-01-2012 at 12:40 PM.

KSH
    ?

Quote by HistoryIsMe View Post
    I have seen this cap plenty of times over and it still doesent lose its poetry. A stunning example Kenneth. I am well pleased you have it in your collection. And the thread you made is superb. It leaves my threads something to be desired.

Cheers, Pat

I know exactly what you mean my young friend, I could take this cap out and stare at it for hours on end without getting bored with it - I know I am very partial and anything but objective here (being the owner), but in my opinion it is the most beautiful and stunning WW2 army cap I have ever seen in my life, period. It makes me speechless every time.

Thank you, Pat - I am glad I have inspired you in some way then

Regards,

Kenneth S-H.

?

Someone should buy that cap, it is a very nice one.
    I nearly did buy it when I saw the price on the main page, 330 euro!

Quote by BenVK View Post
    I nearly did buy it when I saw the price on the main page, 330 euro!
    I was half way through an email saying that I will buy it when I thought I would ask Kenneth and check the cap section. It seems like the price was from a diffrent cap that sold. Perhaps this was an Aprils fools trick?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast