Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

RAD sidecap type???

Article about: Looking through an old photo album and noticed a type of RAD sidecap I have never seen before. I am assuming it is an early variation but wanted opinions from the RAD men here. The cap in qu

MAP
    ?

Default RAD sidecap type???

Looking through an old photo album and noticed a type of RAD sidecap I have never seen before. I am assuming it is an early variation but wanted opinions from the RAD men here.

The cap in question look similar to the Robin Hood style but without the brim.

Thanks!

Michael

Double click to enlarge the photos

RAD sidecap type???RAD sidecap type???
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement RAD sidecap type???
    P
    Many

?

Hello MAP,
    though not being a RAD man I possess Wim Saris' vol. 5 "Headgear of Hitler's Germany". On pp. 334 ff. he describes the Feldmütze of the RAD which is what is in the pictures.

MAP
    ?

Quote by ErWeSa View Post
    Hello MAP,
    though not being a RAD man I possess Wim Saris' vol. 5 "Headgear of Hitler's Germany". On pp. 334 ff. he describes the Feldmütze of the RAD which is what is in the pictures.
    Thanks. I don't possess his book unfortunately. Does Wim provide any details? Early version? Etc. I've seen many RAD sidecaps over the years but not one like this. I just thought it was interesting. I love looking at photos and all the details they provide.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Yes, there are lots of details in Wim's book. There were different versions of the field cap. Early ones with black piping, later ones which look like side caps etc. etc. He describes these caps on pp. 334 - 354, with many photos.

MAP
    ?

OK. Thanks. Most of the photos in the album have nothing written on them but I found one with a date of 1936. So maybe around that time frame. Although, as you can see in one of the photos above, there is the one RAD man wearing the more commonly side cap that I am familiar with.

?

If memory serves me correctly, it was a cap with a cheap bill that frequently tore or fell off.. The arbietsman usually removed it and still wore the cap.. JMO
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

MAP
    ?

LoL G. Honestly, I was thinking the same thing to. If you enlarge the photo of the men sitting next to the stove, it just doesn't "sit" on the head the same way a side cap would.

But I really don't know. Never seen anything like this before. Will need to look through the small photo album in more detail to see if I can find other examples. I only found 4 so far

MAP
    ?

OK, a few more photos of these caps from the album.

RAD sidecap type???RAD sidecap type???

Also a very interesting DAK version of the Robin Hood style (OK, I know that's a joke, but it is dirty white or tan in color. Maybe just sun bleached but thought it was interesting to show.)

RAD sidecap type???

And then just a few other nice ones

RAD sidecap type???RAD sidecap type???RAD sidecap type???

?

As I suspected, based on the date of the album, I believe it is a Pre- or early RAD .. Pre being the Freiwilliger or FAD based on the buckles.. They do not wear the uniform RAD buckles as of yet,, JMO
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RAD sidecap type???  
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

MAP
    ?

Thanks G.

I just love looking at photos. So much to learn! I would LOVE to find one like this.

BTW...the one picture with a date, is a family photo. No RAD, but I would assume it would give a rough date being in the album.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast