Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

The Rarest of the Rare?

Article about: It certainly is up there. It is the first one I can recall seeing outside of period photographs:

Default The Rarest of the Rare?

It certainly is up there. It is the first one I can recall seeing outside of period photographs:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Rarest of the Rare?  
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement The Rarest of the Rare?
    P
    Many

Default Re: The Rarest of the Rare?

FB's going to love this feotid woollen one would feel.
    I hope it's good.
    oops and Bob.Sorry mate
    Last edited by Thanatos; 03-12-2012 at 03:16 AM. Reason: Forgot Bob.

I certainly would like to see more pictures of this piece. One was posted years ago over at the German Daggers site that had conventional insignia and was in pristeen condition.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

The Rarest of the Rare?The authority on such a cap is Mr. d'Alquen. This kind of cap did exist, and one of the premier collectors had his example, ex Wolfe Hardin, for sale, I think. There are images of same in the Shea Beaver book on caps.
    Mr. d'Alquen has a real one, without a Gehirnbremse. Based on the picture, though, this thing needs a pretty rigorous scrutiny.

The Rarest of the Rare?This cap of mine is, indeed, made with a buckram frame, but it is a normal cap. This image, by the way, has been stolen by fakers in Asia and forms the basis for some imitation I have never seen.

The Rarest of the Rare?Here is the authentic one of a noted member here. It is on the left. The officer's cap is now in my collection, ex Mollo, ex Chapman, ex Jenkins.The Rarest of the Rare?The Rarest of the Rare?

I found a better picture of the piece that was in the display case recently. This item is in the Shea Beaver book. See post Nr 4 above.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 03-12-2012 at 02:27 AM.

“Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

Quote by stonemint View Post

That looks pretty good, actually. Very similar to my cap, with the signal differences. I won't generalize about the price. Maederer knows his way around SS caps. If it is a fake, it is nicely done. The sweat diamond is of the material we have seen in other field caps, in fact.

I have looked at the images and it looks surely ok to me, as far as it goes.

I would rely on Mr. d'Alquen for a second opinion.

If, by the way, the potentates give this the upcheck, then store these images for the future. You won't see something of this type again.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 03-12-2012 at 03:18 AM.

FB is Rich ! lol

?

Fantastic visors all in this thread - as usual.

I assume the schirmmütze in the OP is very early and with early type eagle and skull.
    Can anybody date it?

A rare piece. Even the grainy black and white pics in the sales blurb shows period caps with (what looks like) a later type bigger eagle and bigger skull.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast