Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Recommended books and related literature

Article about: Very interesting books, Friedrich and Tony. I am going to see if I can get a copy of one of them on Amazon. Cheers, Pat

Default Re: Recommended books and related literature

Quote by BobS View Post
    RE: Schiffer Books. Indeed, there is virtually no editing in their books, and they seem to be useful pretty much solely for the photos & illustrations. The captions are often incorrect as well.
    Maddening, especially since they have broken the $100 + price barrier for some time. I suppose that we must be thankful that these limited interest books are published at all, even with their limitations and high prices. Thankfully, many Schiffer titles are discounted on Amazon.

BobS
    Well said. At some point a coalition of the willing here should carve something out of the twisted timber of this thing and offer it to our public. Such an experience, however, would surely collapse because of egos involved and the inherent challenges of such work which are exacerbated by the seeming ease of the digitalized age of the entitlement, to say nothing of the fact that this medium blasts knowledge into too many bits as it is, while, at the same time, making group think even worse. Hence: ohne mich.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Recommended books and related literature
    P
    Many

FB

never say never.

tony

For me one of the first and best for those days was:
    Les Coiffures Militaires du Troisieme Reich from Richard du Filippi.
    He signed my copy in 1992.

By "accident" and coincidence I got involved with the series "Headgear of Hitler's Germany".
    This work was intended to be one book only, written by mrs. Halcomb. She started the
    project in about 1987 or so, using 1.500 photocopies from regulations she had asked me for.
    I sorted out the material and did send it to her. For some reasons mr. Bender asked me to
    assist, what I did. Not knowing this series would take at least over 25 years of my life.

The text-parts for all the volumes are written by me. I would have done the books in another way,
    but there was a start. The first two volumes have quite some lacks and mistakes, due to the time
    limit. From volume 3 I also took care for the photographic material, along with some of my friends.
    Mrs. Halcomb was no longer involved since the re-writing of volume 3. Volume 5 is ready to be
    released within a nick of time. Volume 6 I will start writing the text in fall of this year. Later may
    follow the volumes 7 and 8 and who knows even a volume 9. All of this as I will get enough time
    to finish, as my "time" is limited when having reached the 70!! For the further volumes I am
    assisted by a good friend of mine, the owner of over 450 Third Reich caps (this amount does not include his many helmets).

Personally I consider my book "Aiguillettes of the Third Reich" as the best, as it gives much more
    information then only the cords for adjutants and parade-uniforms. I specify when an aiguilette
    should be worn, with what uniform and in most occasions also given the date of introduction
    for a specific uniform. I am aware this book is "out of sight" for much collectors, but the many
    photographs are a "feast for the eye". How can one collect uniforms, not knowing how to add or
    drape a cord??

For HJ collectors I think "Handbook of the Hitler-Jugend" gives a good hand for identifying the
    numbers upon the shoulder-straps, the many types of triangles and the listed Bann-numbers
    as well as all known about A4 manufacturers from the RZM (26 pages with names and numbers);
    for those interested in enameled wall plaques there is: Wall Plaques and Official Office Signboards
    of Hitler's Germany, 1933-1945
    ". Printed in Germany and vailable through: Modellbau Bücher Verlag Antiquariat VDM Heinz Nickel

This publisher also brings within a month or two my newest book about gorgets: 704 pages
    with about 1,500 photographs. German text. Many photographs are in color and many in detail, as well as many photographs showing the use of gorgets (some of the rarer ones are included. What to think of the gorget for the Reiter-SA?, which is shown and also in wear). The book I have been assisted by my friend Andrew Mollo, David Landers, Philippe Gillain, Michael Shaner and Otto Spronk and many, many others.
    Last edited by Wilhelm Saris; 05-04-2012 at 10:10 AM.

Great contribution above ! Thank you.

Also, excellent reference books one and all.

cheers

tony

Quote by Wilhelm Saris View Post
    For me one of the first and best for those days was:
    Les Coiffures Militaires du Troisieme Reich from Richard du Filippi.
    He signed my copy in 1992.

By "accident" and coincidence I got involved with the series "Headgear of Hitler's Germany".
    This work was intended to be one book only, written by mrs. Halcomb. She started the
    project in about 1987 or so, using 1.500 photocopies from regulations she had asked me for.
    I sorted out the material and did send it to her. For some reasons mr. Bender asked me to
    assist, what I did. Not knowing this series would take at least over 25 years of my life.

The text-parts for all the volumes are written by me. I would have done the books in another way,
    but there was a start. The first two volumes have quite some lacks and mistakes, due to the time
    limit. From volume 3 I also took care for the photographic material, along with some of my friends.
    Mrs. Halcomb was no longer involved since the re-writing of volume 3. Volume 5 is ready to be
    released within a nick of time. Volume 6 I will start writing the text in fall of this year. Later may
    follow the volumes 7 and 8 and who knows even a volume 9. All of this as I will get enough time
    to finish, as my "time" is limited when having reached the 70!! For the further volumes I am
    assisted by a good friend of mine, the owner of over 450 Third Reich caps (this amount does not include his many helmets).

Personally I consider my book "Aiguillettes of the Third Reich" as the best, as it gives much more
    information then only the cords for adjutants and parade-uniforms. I specify when an aiguilette
    should be worn, with what uniform and in most occasions also given the date of introduction
    for a specific uniform. I am aware this book is "out of sight" for much collectors, but the many
    photographs are a "feast for the eye". How can one collect uniforms, not knowing how to add or
    drape a cord??

For HJ collectors I think "Handbook of the Hitler-Jugend" gives a good hand for identifying the
    numbers upon the shoulder-straps, the many types of triangles and the listed Bann-numbers
    as well as all known about A4 manufacturers from the RZM (26 pages with names and numbers);
    for those interested in enameled wall plaques there is: Wall Plaques and Official Office Signboards
    of Hitler's Germany, 1933-1945
    ". Printed in Germany and vailable through: Modellbau Bücher Verlag Antiquariat VDM Heinz Nickel

This publisher also brings within a month or two my newest book about gorgets: 704 pages
    with about 1,500 photographs. German text. Many photographs are in color and many in detail, as well as many photographs showing the use of gorgets (some of the rarer ones are included. What to think of the gorget for the Reiter-SA?, which is shown and also in wear). The book I have been assisted by my friend Andrew Mollo, David Landers, Philippe Gillain, Michael Shaner and Otto Spronk and many, many others.
    Thanks for your quarter century labor and your kind aid to this site.

Hello all,

when I do have time I will jump in, but I am quite busy and I don't feel like writing
    everyday and I have my days the whole thing is repugnant to me. It does cost me
    often too much time and my concentrating is not adequate anymore.

I started writing in 1976 when my first article was published in a German
    magazine. This is now about 36 years ago. During all those years over one hundred
    articles were published in the USA and Germany. I did cooperate with many well-
    known authors, which I would like to refer "the old classics"!

have a great weekend,
    wilhelm (wim)

This will be the planned front cover for my newest book (for 95%): about gorgets. This warrelics-forum is the first forum that it is shown and has a chance to see it. The reverse also shows a film-strip with photographs. The colors may be darker and deeper.
    Last edited by Wilhelm Saris; 05-04-2012 at 06:20 PM.

Quote by Wilhelm Saris View Post
    Hello all,

when I do have time I will jump in, but I am quite busy and I don't feel like writing
    everyday and I have my days the whole thing is repugnant to me. It does cost me
    often too much time and my concentrating is not adequate anymore.

I started writing in 1976 when my first article was published in a German
    magazine. This is now about 36 years ago. During all those years over one hundred
    articles were published in the USA and Germany. I did cooperate with many well-
    known authors, which I would like to refer "the old classics"!

have a great weekend,
    wilhelm (wim)

This will be the planned front cover for my newest book (for 95%): about gorgets. This warrelics-forum is the first forum that it is shown and has a chance to see it. The reverse also shows a film-strip with photographs. The colors may be darker and deeper.
    Thanks for sharing that pic of the Gorget book--one is long overdue, and I look forward to purchasing my copy.
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

BTW, Bender has some sample pages of Wim's latest book on his site:

Preview-HGV5-01
    Attached Images Attached Images Recommended books and related literature 

In terms of graphic design, this is a nice book which contains pics of almost all the soft caps of the TR. Book is in French, and unfortunately, no interior shots:

This is the grand-daddy of all headgear reference books: "Collectors Guide: German Relics, Supplement 2: Headgear" by Stan Bozich. Almost all the hats are from the Bob Coleman collection, from that groovy year of 1967 ("It's hip; it's now; it's what's happening!")

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast