Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

The "Rosetta Stone" for Visors and more to come...

Article about: This is a 50th anniversary company overview for the Hamburg firm of Willy Sprinfeil that dates to 1951 (the company made all types of soft headgear during the TR). If there is any interest,

?

Very interesting material. I would like to correct one point, however- the "Friedensuniform" is not referring to the pre-war blue visor, but is in fact a variety of grey visor (and accompanying uniform) that was projected to be introduced AFTER the war, but was made available for private-purchase during the war from about 1915. It was a very pleasing combination of the colored cuffs and collar from pre-war, and the wartime grey bodied tunic. The accompanying visor cap had a lacquered grey visor. The Kaiser was very fond of this pattern of dress.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement The "Rosetta Stone" for Visors and more to come...
    P
    Many

Here some more information:

The "Rosetta Stone" for Visors and more to come... The "Rosetta Stone" for Visors and more to come...

The above drawings are from a July 1935 Wagner-catalogue/leaflet

The expression Klappmütze was not used in the manufacturings-regulations
    from the Reichszeugmeisterei. Here some samples of what expressions they
    did use (just small parts from a complete manufacturing-regulation):

The "Rosetta Stone" for Visors and more to come... The "Rosetta Stone" for Visors and more to come...

I did not watermark the material. If using elsewhere I only ask it to be properly
    credited with my name.

Remark: it is even possible the leaflet from post 1 and two machine-written pages,
    as shown earlier, do not belong together! The first typed page mentions it was not
    possible to have a new cataloque. The leaflet however is printed. I could be wrong
    about that.
    Last edited by Wilhelm Saris; 03-13-2014 at 06:15 PM.

Excellent info, as always.

I was aware that the term had nothing to with being able to fold a cap, but will be the first to admit that - even as a native speaker of German - had no idea where exactly the Klapp- part of the term actually originates!

Wim--
    Do you know which maker "Cewe" was?
    Also, is the English text from a book, and if so, which?
    Lastly, do you have any other visor-hat maker catalogs? (I can watermark them for you if need be).
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

Quote by stonemint View Post
    Do you know which maker "Cewe" was?
    Allow me to answer that one (so I can make myself useful here after all ):

It's just the model name the manufacturer has given to this particular style of cap.

The term is a play on words: In German, Clemens Wagner's initials "C.W." are pronounced as "Ce We". (As Wim mentioned, the page is from a Wagner catalogue.)

The exact same pun is employed by the well-known present-day photo lab-/photo book-/print company CEWE: With them, it is derived from Carl Wöltje.

On a more subject-related note: It's the same thing with the cap manufacturer-/brand name "Erel": Robert Lubstein - initials "R. L." - pronounced "Er El".

Hello Chris,

I must say, I do not know what Cewe means. I think it is a special procedure for making headgear.
    Have not ever paid attention before to this expression. Saw it when I copied the page from the
    Wagner-leaflet.

The English texst I did write quickly this morning to post it, for a better understanding.

I have only a few headgear-makers cataloques/leaflets, but some are just lousy copies
    and I need them for my writings. I never paid attention to find such catalogues. Just those
    catalogues and leaflets that included belt-buckles, as this was a goal for me in about the
    1970's to write a good buckle-book. The idea was dropped for many reasons, which I cannot
    tell about in public. And still until these days (this is my opinion) practically all buckle-books
    suck! I always joke about this: "some of the authors have no idea about what they have
    written, as they do not even know what a buckle is"!

It is planned that in one of the next volumes for the headgear-series a list with all known
    manufacturers from the RZM will be included. Numbers, names and dates when their permission
    was withdrawn.

And as HPL2008 says: that will be the meaning. A CW (Clemens Wagner)-procedure. I did not think
    about that simple solution!! Thanks HPL2008.....

A splendid wonder of knowledge offered in fine company. Many revelations of things I had not see in such clarity before.
    Many warm thanks to you all.

The Clemens Wagner price list also contains the levels of quality on respective caps, something that we all know existed, but which I have never seen enumerated in this clarity.

Here a page from Erich Beinhorn-cataloque from 1938
    with the cap name and description with prices.

The same sort of drawings were used in a 1935 catalogue from
    Clemens Wagner, especially related to the Deutsche Reichsbahn
    headgear, where even a new regulation was included.
    Last edited by Wilhelm Saris; 03-14-2014 at 10:59 AM.

Catalogues give often a lot of information, but what do you think about magazines?
    Not only "Uniformen-Markt", "Schwert und Spaten", "Der Uniformschneider" or
    "Rundschau" give a lot of information, but many more. Here a newspaper size
    magazine "Die Bekleidungsarbeit". I have chosen randomly some pages for your
    interest.

The first images were shown in volume 3 for the series "Headgear of Hitlers Germany",
    page 207. The information was the issue from March 18, 1936, the special section C:
    Kopfbekleidung der Fachgruppe Kopfbekleidungsindustrie.

But in such magazine is often more information to read about then only headgear.
    The second images are for the manufacturing of flags, especially the Hitler-Standarte.
    Who is aware of such standarte, used during the annual Party Days at Nürnberg. Very
    inreresting is the netting of old flags (photo at lower right with the Hans.E.Maikowski-flag),
    so they do not fall apart!

The next image gives some information for the big standarte with a weight of 150 kg
    and a size of 8.0 x 8.0 mtr!! Imagine: most is hand-embroidered!!

The next a few images from a 1936 exhibition in relation to headgear. Have a look at
    the white Olympic cap in the middle. This is discussed and shown in another thread
    from this most excellent forum.

As last, but no least, the cap for the NSKOV (NS.Kriegsopferversorung e.V).

Most know one needed a permission for manufacturing headgear for political organizations
    (and other items, authorized by the RZM). Here in b/w a permission for Hermann Potthoff
    as A 1/13 from October 1935 (so for the year 1936). Every year one had to renew the
    permission. For this a coupon was given. Shown is the coupon for 1939 (Potthof also had
    coupons for 1937, 1938 and also 1940).
    A1 means a Mützenfabrik. This concern largely manufactured caps by machines and had
    many employees;
    A2 means Mützenmacher, Handwerk. Such a concern was a smaller private company
    with not so many employees. Often their caps were made by hand;
    Heimarbeiter, which were home workers. Such a sub-contractor did not need an
    RZM-permission at all. The principal (Auftraggeber) was the one who should have an
    RZM-permission. By this one cannot know or hardly if a cap indeed was made by for example
    Wagner, Beinhorn or Potthoff. They could have hired a sub-contractor with big orders (one should
    note this goes for all other RZM-products as flags, insignia, buckles or whatever)!

Potthoff also had permission for manufacturing headgear for other organizations, as for
    example the Stahlhelm-organization. Most collectors do not even know for such also a
    permission was given (see image).

Potthoff also manufactured other headgear, as for the army. An interesting leaflet is shown,
    which gives information about a special ventilation-system. Apparently this system was only
    done by Potthoff (Allein-Hersteller).

As F.B and d'Alquen and others know it takes many years to find and gather all that information
    to get some knowledge. I started with it in the earliest 1970's. So, over 40 years ago........
    Sometimes it was in the old days difficult to find such information (most was located in the
    former eastern-Germany, DDR). Only bits and pieces showed up.
    These days this is different, due to Internet and Google and the possibility to scan
    entire magazines and sell them. Who had ever thought 25 years ago to find the "Handbuch
    der Reichszeugmeisterei
    " for just over 100,- euro?? Thanks to Jo........
    Last edited by Wilhelm Saris; 03-14-2014 at 01:57 PM.

Here is the Welhausen catalog I am referring to. Not as detailed at the CW catalog. However, Welhausen was primarily a tailor.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The "Rosetta Stone" for Visors and more to come...   The "Rosetta Stone" for Visors and more to come...  

“Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast