Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Same man, Different Hats...1910 - 1943

Article about: Hi Not often you get a chance to showcase this but please let me share this absolute gem with ya. I would like to show the "development" of the Army cap in original photographs thr

Default Same man, Different Hats...1910 - 1943

Hi

Not often you get a chance to showcase this but please let me share this absolute gem with ya.

I would like to show the "development" of the Army cap in original photographs through the "eyes" of just one man.

Incredibly I came across a photo album in which the owner had served in the Army from approx 1908 to 1943. He was a corporal in 1910 and an Oberstleutnant in 1943.

Not only was this an astonishing achievement but he very kindly took pictures all the way through and the album has survived pretty much intact......the only thing missing is his name.

We begin in 1910 with his rank at Corporal so he must have been in a couple of years already. The picture gives us the invaluable info of the Regt....Württemburg 121 JR , plus his rank. He is seated second from the right hand side middle row wearing they all wear the blue service cap.

We move to 1913 and the Picklehaube in wear. Our man is the tall guy on the right NCO rank and marksman lanyard.

A portrait picture, 1915 of the field cap in wear and the 1907 uniform, rank feldwebel plus ek2 ribbon.

He was wounded in 1917/18 and was awarded the ek1 by this time and given a field commission (i think).

In 1919 he was admitted into the provisional reichswehr. This picture shows him in the 1919 regs uniform.

The RW regt his old uit was assigned to was the 13th JR either komp 6 or 8. he stayed with them till the end.

This picture shows him in the 1920 pattern cap. He is on the far right of the picture.

The 1919 field cap in wear on manouvers.

The 1920 service cap in wear, bottom left and the 1927 cap in wear bottom right photo.

The 1934 field cap (Alter art). (Bottom pic)

The 1938 field cap.

The 1936 service cap (taken in Russia 1943), the captain next to him is the ordanance officer.

I am still researching the contents of this album so more to come, but I hope you enjoyed the preview.

cheers

Tony

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Same man, Different Hats...1910 - 1943
    P
    Many

Default Re: Same man, Different Hats...1910 - 1943

Very nice material. Thank you. The photos are entitled "Auf Schlosswache in Stuttgart," and "Munsingen," for your Wuerttemberger, who were considered the Prussians of S.W. Germany and its contingent armies of the old army.
    Much better than pictures of fake caps, too, one has to say....

Danke Fb, reading captions in hand written German is tricky for an Englander !

You mean, Englaender. I am always happy to help you, since this skill is one I had to learn when I was a pup.

Glad you are here to help FB, as I can't even get the name where I live right !

Very interesting thred thanks Tony !

Hi,

Well it's nearly three years since my last post on this thread............sadly I have not got as far as I would like with the album analysis but I do now have a name for the man in the pictures..............

May I introduce Herr Keller. I think his initial is G but that remain unconfirmed at present.
    He was retained in the Reichswehr following WW 1 and had come up through the ranks during the war serving as a Offizierstellvertreter during 1917 and 1918 in Rgt 121.

The rank tables for the 1920's show him steadily climbing up the pecking order of IR 13 serving as a Leutnant in 1924 III Btl 13K (MG) and by 1932 as Company Commander (Hauptman) of 6 Komp IR 13. One of the other captains was Rommel.

Later pictures have him as a Major and finally Oberstleutnant (1942/43) serving in Russia. Which unit I have yet to establish but there are relaxed pictures of him with a General indicating he may be serving on the staff. His shoulder boards still have the numerals 13 on them but this does tie in with the Wehrmacht order of battle at this period of the war.....he still seemed to retain his loyalty to the old regt maybe ?

Any help on third reich officer lists or how to find him or his unit would be helpful please...............

kind regards

Tony

Tony

Hello Tony,

Nice album. In the 1919 photo can you see the regiment number? IR13 came from Schutzen Regiment 25 and 26!! the IIIBtn. IR13 was stationed in Ulm before the became IR56 in the TR era.

Fred

Hi Fred,

Thought you might like this one.

The scan I posted on the 1919 picture is poor quality so apologies. The picture is very clear despite being a small portrait shot.

I have just looked at the original under the magnify and the arm shield shows very clearly a 25 !

Cheers

Tony

Hello,

That is awesome. It shows a great continuation of service in the local unit! In WWII I believe the 2nd and 3rd Battalions of RH IR13 became TR IR13! I am sure that it is in the Lexikon!! Great picture and great connection!!

Fred

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast