MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Schirmmützen worn without chinstraps in the field?

Article about: Hi guys, I was reading "In Deadly Combat" by Gottlob Herbert Biderman and in the photo section there are pictures of officers wearing Schirmmützen without chincords, and even the a

?

Default Schirmmützen worn without chinstraps in the field?

Hi guys, I was reading "In Deadly Combat" by Gottlob Herbert Biderman and in the photo section there are pictures of officers wearing Schirmmützen without chincords, and even the author of the book, wearing his cap the same way. Is this something that was done at the front? Maybe to look more like "crusher" caps?

Schirmmützen worn without chinstraps in the field?Schirmmützen worn without chinstraps in the field?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Schirmmützen worn without chinstraps in the field?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Schirmmützen worn without chinstraps in the field?

Perhaps they removed the cord to be less visible as officers? Just a guess. NH

Aren't these the early type with the embroidered insignia anyway? .... they didn't have cords.
    Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

Yes, what you're looking at ARE crushers, with woven "bevo-like" insignia...

?

Actually, it does seem like it was done, here's a link to an example of "Crusher" cap that was sold on the Collectors Guild

"Although enlisted personnel were issued their caps from government supplies they were also permitted to purchase privately tailored caps although the price may have been restrictive. This example has had the chinstrap/chincord removed in an attempt to imitate the officer’s "Crusher" style visor caps although it is not a real "Crusher". Of Note: The "Crusher" style caps were introduced as a field cap for Officer’s in March 1934. In 1938 the Crusher caps were to be replaced with the new M38 Officers overseas style cap, with the wear-out period determined as April 1942. The Crusher style cap mimicked the visor cap, with the exclusion of the internal top stiffening wire, chin cord and sweat diamond, leaving the cap very flexible, and giving the owners the ability to fold it and place it in a pocket if so desired. Due to its relaxed appearance and convenience the Crusher cap proved very popular with the Officer’s."

The Collector's Guild

Edit: I can see that the Schirmmützen in the first photo are the traditional "Crusher" caps, but I wondered about the second photo, to me, it looks like there is a bit of depth there, but I could be mistaken. I tried to get a good photo of Biderman's cap in the second picture, but I wasn't able to and I don't have a scanner. It may be too low-res to make anything out anyway. I just wondered if this was something that was done, and I didn't think it was too far out there, as German soldiers did a lot of odd stuff to modify their uniforms to look cooler. Maybe some of the cap gurus have seen this before, and have better period pics of this(as the ones I was able to take are awful)? I also don't mean to presume that the Collectors Guild knows everything, I just found an example of this, maybe it wasn't that common really?

Here is an example of a gray NCO cap worn without chinstrap. This cap never had a chin strap.Schirmmützen worn without chinstraps in the field?Schirmmützen worn without chinstraps in the field?Schirmmützen worn without chinstraps in the field?Schirmmützen worn without chinstraps in the field?Schirmmützen worn without chinstraps in the field?
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Bob, that cap is in a class by itself, truly, and the story behind it is even better, thanks for showing such a rare and impressive creature!

Hi

I also have a couple of caps that came without chinstraps or officer cords. Remember there are exceptions to every rule and officers added chin cords to their crushers after 42 to enable them to be on the right side of regulations !

And there is photo evidence of this.....I think there is a KC holder in wilkins or another cap book doing just that. I will find it and post when I get the chance.

Great question doomtown. As ever it opens a whole can of worms.........

cheers

tony

?

Hey, thank Tony! I think the officers in the first pic are from the Kurland in 1944, very much against regulations missing those chin cords, haha.

?

There is much photographic evidence that depict regular visor being worn without cords/chinstraps. Also the same goes for crushers with cords. here is an example I own;
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Schirmmützen worn without chinstraps in the field?  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast