Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Schupo Schirmmutze with a Dark Past

Article about: This schirmmutze is one of my favorite pieces of polizei headgear. Annoyed from this ads?   Just some exterior shots for now, I'll post interior pics later with a condensed history. It

Default Schupo Schirmmutze with a Dark Past

This schirmmutze is one of my favorite pieces of polizei headgear.

Just some exterior shots for now, I'll post interior pics later with a condensed history.

It is quite salty but it's combat worn with provenance.

Thanks for having a look.

Marcus

Schupo Schirmmutze with a Dark PastSchupo Schirmmutze with a Dark PastSchupo Schirmmutze with a Dark Past

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Schupo Schirmmutze with a Dark Past
    P
    Many

can't wait to hear the story.

This Schirmmuetze belonged to Oberleutnant d. Schupo, Hermann Dik. Dik was born in Ruestringen near Fankfurt a.M. in 1913. He served with the Heer and then went on to the Schutzpolizei in Frankfurt. After the war broke out Dik served with 52. Nachtrichten Komp. d. Sch., which was attached to Pol. Batl. 320.

Now I cannot state for certain whether Dik participated in all of the activities of the 320 Batl., as many men were pulled away temporarily and placed with SS EK units, but the overall history of his unit is known. Dik's unit participated in the liquidation of many smaller Jewish ghettos for transport and mass killings. In Sept. 1942, Dik's unit was quartered in Rovno in the Urkrain and by March 1943 was attached to Polizei Regt. z.b.V where 52. Nachtrichten Komp. saw frontling fighting. From Sept. 1943 to July 1944, Dik unit fought continuously with partisans until attached to Army Group North where it was crushed by the Soviet Army. Remnants of his unit were then sent to SS-Polizei Regt. 16 in the Balkans.

There are details of the Ensatzgruppen aktions that I have left out as they are sickening and the numbers of Jews killed is horrendous and rise into the tens of thousands. I've also left out the town and village names, as the are small and relatively unknown by collectors. This information was compiled by my friend Stephen Campbell, author of "POLICE BATTALIONS OF THE THIRD REICH" before his untimely death several years ago.

The schirmmuetze came from the Dik family when they sold Hermann's: tunics, boots, holster, badges, documents, belt, overcoat, map case and photos. Luckily, Dik marked all of his effects with his Feldpost Nr. (59354). The grouping, which included 4 tunics, one of which was the rare white summer combat type, would not sell, so the family broke it up and pieced it out. All I was able to obtain was his combat Schurmmuetze in the end, so some members here might have his other items. If so, please feel free to post them here.

Best,

Marcus

Schupo Schirmmutze with a Dark PastSchupo Schirmmutze with a Dark Past

?

Appropriate name.
    His family was proud of him. A REAL DIK.

Great cap with real character.

Hi Marcus..scary stuff there..thanks for posting the cap and the History lesson. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

An interesting historical piece. It also represents what none of must never forget as to the horror and death inflicted on so many by the regime of the 3rd Reich. It is amazing how under the right conditions, normal human beings can be transformed into monsters. Thank you for posting this most interesting piece.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

very interesting.

Thank you gentlemen, I'm glad you found the piece interesting.

Bob, well said, I could not have put it better myself.

Marcus

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast