MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Should this hat be restored or not?

Article about: FB you are a real black devil guy !

?

Default Should this hat be restored or not?

I'm sure most of you have already seen this SS Officers black cap that Martin has for sale.

I've been studying the photos for a while and wondering if it's too far gone to attempt a restoration. It might be possible but would need a lot of work and replacement wool. I've not attempted anything on this scale before but it's just such a shame to see this hat all chewed up by rodents and looking very sorry for itself.

My question for you all is whether you think it would be the right or wrong thing to restore it or is it better to leave it alone despite the terrible condition? It obviously wouldn't be 100% original after the work was done and I know that really upsets some people.

Thoughts?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Should this hat be restored or not?   Should this hat be restored or not?  

Should this hat be restored or not?   Should this hat be restored or not?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Should this hat be restored or not?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Should this hat be restored or not?

Ben.
    I think with a sympathetic approach to the cap, it could be brought back to some of it's former glory. I have experienced some of your work, and like myself, others find the your attention to detail, beyond reproach. I'm sure you could "persuade" Martin to move it along, and what is the harm in saving something from complete destruction. If I thought about leaving my mustang as it was when i bought it, it would be a pile of rust by now

You go for it, and afterwards, show it off. The right price would make it all worthwhile

Why not? I am sure you can do so. I am not as much of a purist as some. It started out on the US east coast, then went to the Pacific Coast, and then to the Northwest Pacific, and now back to Europe. Better to fix it than gut it for the parts, which is the likely outcome. The problem is finding the right black wool of the particular type from Mueller for the cap cover. That is not so very easy in my experience....I spend a lot of time with the close survey of such things. In any case, I say you fix it, for which I am sure others will be angry. But these Sonderanfertigung caps of early date, and this is a Mueller, are nice and deserve to be kept, even improved on to counteract the ravages of time.Should this hat be restored or not?Should this hat be restored or not?Should this hat be restored or not?Should this hat be restored or not?Should this hat be restored or not?Should this hat be restored or not?Should this hat be restored or not?

Actually, if you found one of the old Atwood "Berlins aelteste Muetzenfabrik" caps you could dissect it, though the velvet would be different, too, as I think of it.

The images of the stamps, of the RFSS tag, and the Totenschaedel are from this very cap.

I think this cap is a good candidate for restoration. There is only about
    20 percent that is damaged, and it will be much more desireable.
    Regards,

Steve.

This type of Atwood old fake could provide raw material. They pollute the place and might be snagged for the project. I do not have one. Mine I have shown elsewhere here on this site are real.

Should this hat be restored or not?

A comparison....Should this hat be restored or not?Should this hat be restored or not?Should this hat be restored or not?Should this hat be restored or not?Should this hat be restored or not?Should this hat be restored or not?

I guess this all is why we celebrate these things enduring intact, but I surely see no great ill in fixing it and selling it under complete disclosure.Should this hat be restored or not?Should this hat be restored or not?Should this hat be restored or not?Should this hat be restored or not?Should this hat be restored or not?

Leave it as it is so that poor folk like me have a chance of owning it one day!

In all seriousness, I would leave it alone. I consider myself to be a bit of a purist but hey, to each his own, right?

?

Definate item for sympathetic restoration, im going to pm you Ben re some wool i have

?

I say go for it Ben, otherwise it's a parts hat. I hope it is cheap.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast