Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

SS buttons to a cap, are these correct?

Article about: Hello fellow collectors. I recently bought a cap and while studying it I saw that both buttons were SS marked at the back. Is there anybody with enough knowledge about these buttons to give

Youssouf
    ?

Default SS buttons to a cap, are these correct?

Hello fellow collectors. I recently bought a cap and while studying it I saw that both buttons were SS marked at the back. Is there anybody with enough knowledge about these buttons to give me the correct answer "wright or wrong"? Many thanks!!
    Attached Images Attached Images SS buttons to a cap, are these correct?  SS buttons to a cap, are these correct?  SS buttons to a cap, are these correct?  SS buttons to a cap, are these correct?  SS buttons to a cap, are these correct? 

2. # ADS

Default Re: SS buttons to a cap, are these correct?

These are wrong sorry and should not really feature on a cap of this type.

Cheers, Ade.

Youssouf
    ?

Hello Ade, I thank you for you reaction. I agree that these buttons definately not belong to the cap they are on now. That's why I do not show the cap complete because it is a very rare bird. I'll first wait for more reactions about the buttons, they are both SS but from different makers. Please do not judge because these buttons are sewn to a cap where they do not belong.

Just only look at the buttons, if you have any original buttons please add pictures for me to learn. many thanks to you all!

Youssouf
    ?

I have been in contact today with Martin Stiles from Hannas Reich. I showed him the buttons and he wrote to me:
    "The buttons on the cap are original Assmann pieces"

After this I did send him all the pictures of the cap and he answered to me:

"Hello, An interesting cap for sure!!
    Its my guess that around late 1942, that surplus RZM SS marked buttons, were released by their manufactures, as they were more needed for the war effortand black uniforms no longer required, I have on several occasions found them on the SS camo parka, fitted to the snow side (see the blurred edge parka on my site)
    The parka came into use 42/43. Its my guess thats how the are fitted to your hat".

In the last mail me writing about this cap as perhaps beeing a post war production he wrote:'
    "also if a postwar build, why waste valuable ss buttons on an army cap??"

At this moment I am sure this M42 officer cap is an authentic piece, here are some pictures. A very rear breed!!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS buttons to a cap, are these correct?   SS buttons to a cap, are these correct?  

SS buttons to a cap, are these correct?   SS buttons to a cap, are these correct?  

SS buttons to a cap, are these correct?   SS buttons to a cap, are these correct?  

The buttons you illustrate here are often found on such caps as this.
    I cannot account for their presence on your overseas cap, which looks quite real to me, but I think RZM buttons got used in non NSDAP roles.
    I hardly need add that your field cap and this peaked cap were made by the same firm, ergo one can imagine the Wagner people using the buttons as wartime shortages took hold.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS buttons to a cap, are these correct?  
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 07-10-2010 at 03:39 PM.

Hi Youssouf, thanks for the pics of the Heer Officers quality M42 cap. It is very nice and I do like it.

I must admit I was hasty in my judgement. I envisaged the buttons being on some kind of fake SS Einheitsfeldmutze. Providing the extra photos has been useful.

As "FB" has already eluded to, political buttons are not unknown on Heer caps, especially private purchase Officers caps. Indeed, I have one in my collection which came direct from the Veteran which has RZM buttons.

Cheers, Ade.

Youssouf
    ?

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Youssouf, thanks for the pics of the Heer Officers quality M42 cap. It is very nice and I do like it.

I must admit I was hasty in my judgement. I envisaged the buttons being on some kind of fake SS Einheitsfeldmutze. Providing the extra photos has been useful.

As "FB" has already eluded to, political buttons are not unknown on Heer caps, especially private purchase Officers caps. Indeed, I have one in my collection which came direct from the Veteran which has RZM buttons.

Cheers, Ade.
    Hi Ade, No problems with your mistake. I think it is very professional to admit that you might be wong with your first judgement. For me it is nice to read that fellow collectors also think this M42 officer sidecap is an original WW2 production. As you may know the M42 cap is quite scarce, especially in an untouched condition. When I saw this M42 officer version for sale I directly thought "I must have that one!" The M42 officer version hardly ever come to the market and this one is a factory production and not a tailor made version. I think I'll make a picture of all the headgear I have in my collection, there are some realy nice items in it!