Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

SS tropenhelm perhaps?

Article about: I have had this one a long time and have sometimes thought about to which service it might have been issued and I have previously alluded to this in my Tropical helmet collection thread but

Default SS tropenhelm perhaps?

I have had this one a long time and have sometimes thought about to which service it might have been issued and I have previously alluded to this in my Tropical helmet collection thread but never started a thread on it.

I notice they have one on the Ruptured Duck and have it listed as SS? tropenhelm so I thought I would ask what others think.

I have previously asked this on Walhalla and some were of the opinion that it was SS whilst others were inclined towards it being Luftwaffe, but as it has never been badged a definitive answer is probably not possible.

It is 1941 dated and made by Carl Halfar.

HG-67c Excellent, Unissued Tropical (SS?) Pith Helmet

I'll post some pics of the example from the Duck in the next post and some of this type of helmet in SS use.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS tropenhelm perhaps?   SS tropenhelm perhaps?  

SS tropenhelm perhaps?   SS tropenhelm perhaps?  

SS tropenhelm perhaps?  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS tropenhelm perhaps?
    P
    Many

Default Re: SS tropenhelm perhaps?

I do not claim that my example is the same as that from the duck, as it is by a different maker and is a also from a different year, mine being dated 1941 and that on the Duck 1942.

If you notice in the period pictures that the SS Tropenhelms are unbadged.

Probably just idle speculation on my part, but noticing the example on the Duck inspired me to ask for opinions, but as no certain answer is ever likely to be possible, it will remain speculation, though it is known from source that a batch of unbadged Tropenhelms were issued to the SS for Greece in 1941 as well as the use of captured British examples I have seen in other pictures besides those I posted above.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS tropenhelm perhaps?   SS tropenhelm perhaps?  

Regards,

Jerry

Just adding the description from the Duck for when the link becomes inactive.

HG-67c Excellent, Unissued Tropical (SS?) Pith Helmet
    The tropical tan exterior of this helmet has just the slightest discoloration, but is otherwise in outstanding shape, with the underlying shell in perfect form! This example has never had insignia added to it. The light brown leather brim edge wrap is in fine condition, as is the same color chinstrap. The interior has a green cloth lining underneath the brim, and a red cloth dome lining. The helmet is amazingly lightweight! The light brown leather sweatband remains soft and supple, having the maker ordnance code and date of production (42) ink stamped onto it. The underside of the sweatband is ink stamped with the size, 57. My picker reported this came with other SS headgear, and he presumes it was for SS issue. Excellent throughout!
    $995.00
    Regards,

Jerry

And another piece of evidence, though circumstantial perhaps, is the fact that all known examples of original SS tropenhelm shields are dated 1942 or 1943 and none are known to exist from 1941.

3 sets are shown below, none are mine so thanks to those whose images I have saved over the years.

SS tropenhelm perhaps?  
    Regards,

Jerry

?

Without absolute proof or provenance i dont know how anyone can "assume" or "presume" as in the case of the Ruptured Duck advert that this is an SS issued item and then place a rather large price tag to it, but it could also be Luftwaffe which does'nt demand such a high price, where do you draw the line especially without insignias, I fear that this is just speculation on their part and unfortunately its a case of taking whats said by faith alone with no real proof, something that we as collectors have learnt never to accept

Indeed Dave and the Duck seems to have lost its way recently on a few other items they have for sale.

I still think it was worth a mention and certainly in the case of my example there is a greater possibility of it being true, though as I posted it will always remain mere speculation.

Maybe the rarity of a never been badged tropenhelm in its own right might command the high price tag, as they are very rare and in fact are probably rarer than actual SS examples, as these are the only two that I know of, of German made Tropenhelms that have never been badged.

Thanks for offering your opinion, as I'm sure that is the only reasonable one that can be given in regards to this matter.
    Regards,

Jerry

?

Helmet looks nice.
    Surprised to hear about The Duck. Though I never bought anything there, I thought they were considered decent.

Quote by Scout View Post
    Helmet looks nice.
    Surprised to hear about The Duck. Though I never bought anything there, I thought they were considered decent.
    I don't think it is a case of them not being decent, more perhaps that Bill is getting old and is not as on the ball as he used to be.

Also, he has just mentioned the possible SS connection as that is the information he has and after all, it might be SS and my intention was not to knock the Duck, just an attempt to get opinions on his and my example of what is a very uncommonly seen Tropenhelm.
    Regards,

Jerry