Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Standard Allgemeine-SS Feldmutze for Review

Article about: Greetings, I wanted to share with all of you a piece I recently added to my small collection that I find interesting and enjoyable. Apologies in advance for the photography. Regards, CMH

?

Default Standard Allgemeine-SS Feldmutze for Review

Greetings,

I wanted to share with all of you a piece I recently added to my small collection that I find interesting and enjoyable. Apologies in advance for the photography.

Regards,

CMH
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Standard Allgemeine-SS Feldmutze for Review   Standard Allgemeine-SS Feldmutze for Review  

Standard Allgemeine-SS Feldmutze for Review   Standard Allgemeine-SS Feldmutze for Review  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Standard Allgemeine-SS Feldmutze for Review
    P
    Many

Default Re: Standard Allgemeine-SS Feldmutze for Review

Doctor, looks like a good one, and welcome to the Forum!
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

?

Very nice. I love these early pieces. Thank you.

?

Thank you for the kind words. I was wondering, for those of you who have seen this type of cap before, is it common to find a string attached on the inside of the cap that crosses from one side to the other towards the front and aids in it holding a "pinched" shape? Just curious if this was added by the original owner or if it came from the manufacturer this way.

Thanks for viewing,

CMH

may be sharper pic's would be better though.

Looks good !

?

Some sharper images in response from a time that seems quite distant...
    Standard Allgemeine-SS Feldmutze for ReviewStandard Allgemeine-SS Feldmutze for ReviewStandard Allgemeine-SS Feldmutze for ReviewStandard Allgemeine-SS Feldmutze for ReviewStandard Allgemeine-SS Feldmutze for Review

?

The cap was from a large grouping of various things that Bill Rannow got from the children of a soldier with the 103rd's Cavalry Reconnaissance Troop. It's a big mix as seen below. The cap is near the center with the website superimposed upon it.

Photos of the soldier who brought these items home from Europe:

From U.S. Army Center of Military History:
    The 103d Infantry Division arrived at Marseilles, France, 20 October 1944. It relieved .the 3d Division at Chevry, 8 November, and attacked west of St. Die, 16 November, in its drive through the Vosges Mountains. Meeting heavy resistance all the way, it crossed the Meurthe River, took St. Die, 23 November and captured Diefenbach on 29 November and Selestat on 4 December. The Division crossed the Zintzel River at Griesbach, 10 December. Pushing through Glimbach, the 103d crossed the Lauter River into Germany, 15 December, and assaulted the outer defenses of the Siegfried Line. On the 22d, the Division moved west to the Sarreguemines area where an active defense was maintained. The enemy offensive did not develop in its sector and the 103d moved to Reichshofen, 14 January 1945, to take up positions along the Saner River. Defensive patrols were active and a limited attack on Soufflenheim on the 19th was repulsed by the enemy. On the 20th, the Division withdrew to the Moder and repulsed German advances near Muhlhausen, 23-25 January. The 103d's offensive began, 15 March 1945. Crossing the Moder and Zintzel Rivers and taking Muhlhausen against sharp opposition, the Division moved over the Lauter River and penetrated the defenses of the Siegfried Line. As German resistance disintegrated, the 103d reached the Rhine Valley, 23 March, and engaged in mopping up operations in the plain west of the Rhine River. In April it received occupational duties until 20 April when it resumed the offensive, pursuing a fleeing enemy through Stuttgart and taking Munsinger on the 24th. Crossing the Danube near Ulm on the 26th, it took Innsbruck on 3 May and reached the Brenner Pass on the 4th. After VE-day the Division received occupational duties until it left for home and inactivation.

These combat chronicles, current as of October 1948, are reproduced from The Army Almanac: A Book of Facts Concerning the Army of the United States, U.S. Government Printing Office, 1950, pp. 510-592.

?

Do ignore the title of this thread, I was just beginning to collect and, like many, assumed that anything that was black was "Allgemeine". Luckily, my collection and my grasp on the subject has expanded a bit, all the result of the fine leadership of this forum.

Standard Allgemeine-SS Feldmutze for ReviewStandard Allgemeine-SS Feldmutze for Review
    Last edited by DrCMH; 03-31-2017 at 07:16 AM.

Expanded...'a bit'

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast