Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

It Is Still Going on Today

Article about: (As a preface, I am writing to congratulate member Kurt in not only identifying these hats, but his eagle-eyed detective work.) These hats are not (as I originally presumed) for the Einsatzs

Default It Is Still Going on Today

(As a preface, I am writing to congratulate member Kurt in not only identifying these hats, but his eagle-eyed detective work.) These hats are not (as I originally presumed) for the Einsatzstab Rosenberg, but are for the Deutsche Post in the Occupied Eastern Territories beginning in 1943.

This hat was sold on an obscure US auction site for $625 in this condition about 2 years ago:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture It Is Still Going on Today   It Is Still Going on Today  

“Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement It Is Still Going on Today
    P
    Many

Default Re: It Is Still Going on Today

Now, when I posted it on the WAF, Kurt instantly caught that this hat was named to the same indivual, a William Rath.
    Here is the dealer's description, along with a link:

"This hat, which has the complete sweat diamond, was made by Schellenberg. It has the original owners name in the slot, which is Wilhelm Rath. It gives his title and position within the orginazation. If I understand correctly, he was the inspector for telegraph and communications. The hat shows some light mothing to the area that connects the leather sweat band to the body of the cap. Almost like a Pekeros consructions. Has the high quality perforations around the brow. Sweat band shows perspiration wear, but still retains part of the ribbon in the back. The satin interior is exceptionally nice. Exterior wise, the some very small pin size moth nips in 3 or 4 locations on the reverse. The piping is in exceptionally nice condition and butts beautifully. The all bullion insignia has no oxidation and is also very nice."

Rosenberg Hat, Military Collectibles, Inc.

As you can see, it is the exact same hat, only now it has been restored (same name tag):
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture It Is Still Going on Today  

2 more pics in case you are not convinced (these are Kurt's comparison pix):
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture It Is Still Going on Today   It Is Still Going on Today  

You will note that after the restoration, the hat now has a price of $8395, an increase of over 13x of its original price.

You will also note that there is no mention of the word "restored" in the description.

Now, some time between the sale at the auction and the time it was posted on the dealer's site this hat was restored (and a very good job, I might add).
    I will also add that yes, the hat could have been restored first and then sold to the dealer, so I am not accusing him. But, it just goes to show that you still
    have to be very careful in this hobby.

Once again, I would like to thank Kurt for his excellent analysis and bringing this to light.

Blimey they did a good job, wish I hadn't shown my restoration efforts on line now if the cash in is that great !! (only joking)

Cheers

Tony

?

The dealer offering this cap has prices that are often absurdly high, even for this sadly overpriced hobby. I would expect nothing less on that website.

BobS

I dont know about that cap...but realy salty ! seems original for sure !

Instantly went from rather poor condition to
    something that few can afford.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast